Unfair performance measurement - how to handle?

Afishwithabike

This is not for me, but for my cousin. His department uses a performance matrix to evaluate employee performance. His numbers have always been good. Most of the time, he has the highest numbers in his group. He has gotten in the impression in the last few months that his supervisor wants to move him to a different job in the department (same pay, no loss in grade/rank), and move another employee into his current slot which my cousin loves and holds.

Ok, that's the background.

Recently the supervisor decided to allow the other employee to report on his performance metric the work that's done by an intern he supervises. He'll be supervising the intern for about a year so he'll have a year's worth of inflated numbers on his side. My cousin's numbers would look lower in comparison even though he puts in long hours and hard work because he's only reporting his work. He doesn't have an intern's numbers to add to his own. He's wondering if this is a tactic by the supervisor to show the other employee is better suited for the slot. This man is capable of doing something underhanded like that.

What should my cousin do?

He wants to talk to human resources rather than the supervisor. He doesn't trust the supervisor.

• Author
Afishwithabike

Thanks.

He spoke to the supervisor of his supervisor. That fellow and my cousin have a good working relationship. This supervisor is going to look into the metrics matter.

If anyone else has more input, I'm interested in hearing it.

HokeyReligions

Just remember - no matter what HR tells employees - HR is there to protect the company. Some squeaky wheels get oiled (depends on who you know in the company and what kind of relationship you have with them, and what kind of authority They have) but most squeaky wheels get replaced. It's an employers market right now.

The evaluation process sounds weird in that company. Although I had 20+ direct reports, my assessment was based on my performance for my pay grade and included how well I supervised. The evaluations of those under me were not added or deleted from my own scores.

I ended up on another project because I had to have surgery (which I put off for a YEAR due to the project I was on) and while I was out recovering (I was out a week and a half) it was too long to be away from that project. I had to move to another spot with less visibility and a lot of problems. Plus my supervisor was moved (demoted in a way) to another department and the incoming supervisor wanted "his" people. It was a sneaky way to do it while I was out, but ....