Literally sick about this... !

I found out tonight that coworker (who I previously thought was a friend) has been spreading a rumor at work that I am a sexual deviant. I'm not. I found out because my supervisor related the information to another coworker....so obviously word is getting around. I'm completely mortified and I'm so worked up that I have a terrible headache and anxiety. So I can't sleep. What do I do? Can someone please say something that will help me feel better?

I desperately want to call in to work (I am sick, after all) tomorrow but I have a whole day of meetings someone would need to cover and I worry that if I stay home I may just dwell on it. What to do, what to do....

Do you have a Human Resources department? For starters, having your supervisor continue the gossip is wrong and so you need to go to His/Her supervisor to stop this.

Calling in sick is not going to help you with the problem; it will only delay the inevitable. You need to escalate this to a human resources professional to have this squashed this immediately. If you don't than you are going to have to learn to live with it because the damage is done.

Go to work and just blow it off, two days from now they will have another rumor about someone else..

Work is a four letter word..

my 2 cents

I found out because my supervisor related the information to another coworker.

WTF kind of job do you have where your supervisor repeats gossip about your sex life to other people? Yes, I would go to HR and have a little chat with them.

Somebody is obviously jealous of you or they wouldn't be trying to discredit you.

YOU have done nothing wrong so go to work, hold your head high, and look down your nose at all the little, petty gossip mongers.

In the UK, there are laws against slander. Someone cannot just spread misinformation about a person without evidence. If you know who is doing this, then either speak to them and warn them to correct the misinformation sharpish or go to HR. You seem to be shying away almost as if you feel guilty about this. Why should you? You have done nothing wrong and someone is trying to ruin your reputation. I wonder why you didn't step in immediately to put people right on this issue - does this person have a hold over you in some way?

• Author

I couldn't go deal with anyone immediately on it because I found out on a Sunday night and I'm not about to go to someone's house to address it.

Today I told the manager who told me about it that I believe he has an affirmative duty to address the issue, and he is going to. I looked in our HR manual and it says to report sexual harrassment (sex rumors = hostile work environment) to a supervisor for an investigation/disciplinary response.

I don't think it's enough for a lawsuit for slander because it's one statement, I would have to prove that it wasn't true (she says I told her that about myself....) and that she knew that when she said it. And the damages would be relatively small.

Good for you!!! Crawl under a rock and set the dignity of oneself back in time.

Seriously and I mean this with due regard, get a lawyer and get it done soon.

There are some things that can be said off the cuff and then somethings that hinder a persons' respectability...this person crossed the line.

Defined:Slander is defined as the act of making false and injurious statements that do injury to a person's reputation. Both slander and libel are forms of defamation. Slander is defamation that is spoken, while libel is defamation that is written. Slander can include any false statement which does injury to a person's business or personal reputation and can relate to the person's character, morals, ability, business practices, or financial status. The victim of slander has the legal right file a civil lawsuit against the person who committed the slander to seek compensation for their damages.

I personally have compassion that you had to endure even hearing of this, now please so something to set the record straight.

zuhaibsarfarz

Its so obvious that sometimes we face such things in our life that we never want to, specially when you trust some body and then you find him doing wrong things about you. It really hurts. But thats life my friend, if you will give up in very first time then how will you face more difficult sistuations in your life ? Hope for the best and ready for the worst. Thats life :)

creighton0123

A sexual deviant? Really? Where do you live? Anyhow, if you know the person who is spreading this rumor, address them privately and tell them to stop. If it continues, document every occurrence of a problem with this person.

What kind of workplace are you in where discussions about other coworkers sex lives seem appropriate?