Your Boss is Type ....

I have Three Boss's, each one brings a uniqueness to the work environment.

THe One boss that works in the Field Office is High energy and Super Positive. Most are drawn to his charismatic ways....til they work with him for as long as I have. Yes he is overall a Good Chap, He just is very poor in his managing people and the office in general. He is humble in that he will laugh at the fact that he has ADD and will jump from project to project and "forget" that one thing needs completed before moving on to the next. Basically I am methodical and do my derndest to keep things running despite his willy nilly acts of High energy followed by...nah..Lets do something else. Those who get the honor of spending half a day with him leave the office Going "Good Gravy! How does anything get done!" ...and they dont mean it in a good way....

I have tried to ask him to work "with" the group on projects that he conjures up, yet he sincerely cannot grasp that his "style" is counter productive to getting the results met. He is in his own world ...and even if anyone tries to bring him back to reality on keeping on task he just walks away. He doesn't get that his "Leadership" entails Leading the group to completion. He thinks a wand magically appears and things just happen.

So my boss is a type all his own and I seriously wonder how much more I can take of picking up after him just to save face with our customers. Any suggestions on dealing with this "type" of Boss...? He really is not a mean spirited person but does get testy if folks aren't on board with some of his rather "questionable" projects that rarely get completed ...

In my experience, this type of person needs a very strong and grounded number two who supports him full-time. As long as the number one doesn't create too much mess interfering and is willing to give executive power to the number two, then it should work well.

Where it doesn't work is if he is controlling and wants to sign off on everything and/or there is poor communication between the two of them.

The number two also has to accept that the number one is the front man/woman people person and that's what he does best and where he causes the least 'damage' - that is, leave him to get on with it.

• Author

Thanks January for that concept. He has his female distraction whom does have much empowerment when he so chooses...I just don't see her "leading" the group so much as leading him astray...

I'll speak to one of the more mature and business minded boss's, they are equally capable of speaking with him. Sometimes having a business equal speak adds more influence.