restaurant drama

luvsickpuppy

I've recently started working, at a restaurant as a waitress. I've never waitressed before so its all a learning experience. On my first day there was a waitress who got in a yell out with the Su chef. Maybe it was wrong of me but immediately judged her to be trouble, she has this face that tells me shes had trouble with people her whole life. My goal was to just avoid her as much as possible, I mean of course communicate about work. But not listen to gossip, not become friendly, just purely business. The next day I was waiting for my orders to come up, as she was grabbing hers. She began to yell at me about doing other things than watching her work, like helping the hostess. I said in a very calm voice that I felt she would get a better reaction out of me and others if she wasn't yelling, and since it was the first hour of the shift she would be doing everyone good to calm down, we still had all day with eachother. She began to yell again, but I wasnt going to give her the chance, and turned to walk away. When I turned around, I saw the manager was watching the whole incident. She got lectured about her yelling, and I was thanked for handling it well. A few days later a issue occurred over a pizza ordered in my name, that I didn't order EVERYONE asked me repeatedly about it, and I kept the same answer idk where it came from. She finally brought it up to me and I said the same, then she walked three steps away and started yelling at the manager, about this pizza was going to make me short and I need to own up yadda yadda. So I walked in and said I didnt order that pizza but if its such a big deal I'll pay for it (it wasn't even made because I said from the beginning I didn't order it) Then she stormed off. That's when I stated she was getting on my nerves, she was trying to steal my tables earlier, and the manager said if she had anything else to say to me to ask her to tell the manager. I went to do something in the computers, and she came up saying on my first day I was putting orders in her name, I stopped her and said would you mind telling this to ____"". And she said this isnt about her, but on your first day you... then I stopped her again, and said I remember the instance your talking about but that wasn't me, there was another person who started the same day, and she had actually put orders in his name. Then she said yes it was you in a raised voice, then I just walked away. We were behind the bar but she felt it appropriate to yell, 'go ahead and cry' in front of the remaining customers. I went to the other computer and continued my business. At the end of the night a busser asked me to not argue with her, he was her friend and though he knew how she could be he didn't want issue. I told him I really didn't care, I may not want to argue with her, but I definitely didn't hold any grudge against her. The next morning I was informed she got fired, and there was a comment in the box that said 'Carmen sucks' she learned of this and blamed me for both. That left me still in my first week learning a new job, and the only waitress. Not to mention the busser wouldn't touch my tables. It was the hardest, most stressful day, customers were mad at me because of a lot of issues, but it was wierd because after thay stated their grievences they said they could tell how hard I was trying and it obviously wasn't my fault. Well at the end of a hard day if being the only waitress and busser. I came to the question, should I tip the busser. I figured if I didn't the drama would continue, then if I did I was saying its okay for him to do that to me. I ended up giving him ten percent of my earnings. Am I going to get out of this drama ring eventually?

I am the Executive Chef at a 4 star resort.

I have been in the business for over 30 years.

I`m just telling you this as a qualifier for my advice to you.

If the busser refuses to bus your tables inform your MOD during the shift and inform him/her the reason the busser has an attitude with you (fired idiot waitress).

Explain that you cannot have new guests sat if the tables are dirty which makes the guest wait longer for a table which makes their experience less than it could be.

Explain that the bussers piss-poor attitude is hurting the MOD`s business even more than it`s hurting your pocket.

If the busser continues to disregard your tables refuse to tip him/her out.

If the MOD does`t address the situation after you`ve calmly,politely explained it to him/her then look for another job because you`re in a third rate establishment being run by morons.

John Michael Kane
I've recently started working, at a restaurant as a waitress. I've never waitressed before so its all a learning experience. On my first day there was a waitress who got in a yell out with the Su chef. Maybe it was wrong of me but immediately judged her to be trouble, she has this face that tells me shes had trouble with people her whole life. My goal was to just avoid her as much as possible, I mean of course communicate about work. But not listen to gossip, not become friendly, just purely business. The next day I was waiting for my orders to come up, as she was grabbing hers. She began to yell at me about doing other things than watching her work, like helping the hostess. I said in a very calm voice that I felt she would get a better reaction out of me and others if she wasn't yelling, and since it was the first hour of the shift she would be doing everyone good to calm down, we still had all day with eachother. She began to yell again, but I wasnt going to give her the chance, and turned to walk away. When I turned around, I saw the manager was watching the whole incident. She got lectured about her yelling, and I was thanked for handling it well. A few days later a issue occurred over a pizza ordered in my name, that I didn't order EVERYONE asked me repeatedly about it, and I kept the same answer idk where it came from. She finally brought it up to me and I said the same, then she walked three steps away and started yelling at the manager, about this pizza was going to make me short and I need to own up yadda yadda. So I walked in and said I didnt order that pizza but if its such a big deal I'll pay for it (it wasn't even made because I said from the beginning I didn't order it) Then she stormed off. That's when I stated she was getting on my nerves, she was trying to steal my tables earlier, and the manager said if she had anything else to say to me to ask her to tell the manager. I went to do something in the computers, and she came up saying on my first day I was putting orders in her name, I stopped her and said would you mind telling this to ____"". And she said this isnt about her, but on your first day you... then I stopped her again, and said I remember the instance your talking about but that wasn't me, there was another person who started the same day, and she had actually put orders in his name. Then she said yes it was you in a raised voice, then I just walked away. We were behind the bar but she felt it appropriate to yell, 'go ahead and cry' in front of the remaining customers. I went to the other computer and continued my business. At the end of the night a busser asked me to not argue with her, he was her friend and though he knew how she could be he didn't want issue. I told him I really didn't care, I may not want to argue with her, but I definitely didn't hold any grudge against her. The next morning I was informed she got fired, and there was a comment in the box that said 'Carmen sucks' she learned of this and blamed me for both. That left me still in my first week learning a new job, and the only waitress. Not to mention the busser wouldn't touch my tables. It was the hardest, most stressful day, customers were mad at me because of a lot of issues, but it was wierd because after thay stated their grievences they said they could tell how hard I was trying and it obviously wasn't my fault. Well at the end of a hard day if being the only waitress and busser. I came to the question, should I tip the busser. I figured if I didn't the drama would continue, then if I did I was saying its okay for him to do that to me. I ended up giving him ten percent of my earnings. Am I going to get out of this drama ring eventually?

If I were you I'd be looking for another job on your spare time when you're not working.