I work in the city for a bespoke consultancy firm, been doing it for 8 years since I left University. For many, its a good job, challenging and gives you exposure to multinationals, diverse skill set etc.

But I hate it. I leave work feeling empty and dejected. My motivation is at rock bottom - promotions are few and far between, there is actually nothing there to make me want to work harder - no bonus scheme, no chance of promotion, no pat on the back for a job well done.

I do however volunteer for a mental health charity 2 nights a week. I love it, it gives me a sense of fulfilment, that Im actually doing something, but not just that Im really good at it - its challenging, but rewarding, distressing at times, but keeps me motivated, on edge, keeps me there and focused.

So Id like some ideas for routes into social work. I dont have much savings, so id have to do a part time course whilst working full time- most in that case would take up to four years. Are there alternative routes in? Im not motivated by money, just by doing something that I can feel fulfilled in.