Doing impersonations of others

Afishwithabike

There's a guy in in the adjoining department who does impersonations of others. He does the impersonations to their face. I haven't seen anyone stop him when he's done impersonations of them. He mostly does their voice and style of speaking, but occasionally he impersonates someone's distinctive walk or mannerisms. From what I can tell and what I know of him, he's not mean spirited or hostile. He has the personality of a guy in junior high. He reminds me of a 13 year old who doesn't know that he's taken the joke too far.

He and I get along well. He's a hard worker who gets his things done on time. I don't have a problem with him, but I cringe whenever he impersonates others to their face. These impersonations happen daily. Since my department is near his, I see this on a daily basis. I want to say something, but then I wonder if others don't say something to him when he's impersonating him, should I? He doesn't imitate me at all. I think he knows I'd probably stop him cold if he did. :laugh:

There's a guy in in the adjoining department who does impersonations of others. He does the impersonations to their face. I haven't seen anyone stop him when he's done impersonations of them. He mostly does their voice and style of speaking, but occasionally he impersonates someone's distinctive walk or mannerisms. From what I can tell and what I know of him, he's not mean spirited or hostile. He has the personality of a guy in junior high. He reminds me of a 13 year old who doesn't know that he's taken the joke too far.

He and I get along well. He's a hard worker who gets his things done on time. I don't have a problem with him, but I cringe whenever he impersonates others to their face. These impersonations happen daily. Since my department is near his, I see this on a daily basis. I want to say something, but then I wonder if others don't say something to him when he's impersonating him, should I? He doesn't imitate me at all. I think he knows I'd probably stop him cold if he did. :laugh:

I know someone who does that. It's a form of mocking them, and I think it's kind of mean spirited. Passive-aggressive. I guess I would say to the guy when you see him mocking/impersonating someone else, "I see you impersonating people so much, I've forgotten what YOU are really like. You're like little bits and pieces of a bunch of people in the office." I think that would get the message across without being too confrontational.

I would recommend turning the situation around and ask yourself, Is it done with talent? Some folks have an art to impersonate and NOT ALL impersonating is done to mock or belittle. Rich Little would have been poor had he not perfected the art of impersonating.

Its a reflection of a persons mannerisms or style. I personally take it as a compliment if someone can imitate another in style and tone. Maybe he has a skill that is being tapped into at work. My boss can imitate some of our endearing customers and they LOVE it when he does it with a lighthearted style. Most folks that see themselves as others do can sometimes find humor in it, others not so much.

If it's good natured inpersonation that is being received well by the target, then there is no harm in that. But if it is meant to make fun of a person, or put them down, or is annoying or uncomfortable for the target, then he should be stopped.

Feelin Frisky

If you do it to someone's face it's called mimicking and that is rude and mocking. I have the gift of being able to sound like others but have never used it on anyone to hurt the. When I was in high school I did a spanking impression of my biology teacher who was a catholic brother from the south with a big drawl. He got wind of me doing impression of him and made me do it in class in front of everyone. He laughed his butt off when I did it. I also had two bosses on my summer job and I could sound just like them. They were both mean and feared--so when I knew they weren't in the office at the moment I'd start yelling in their voice at some of the guys from behind a wall or hedge or w/e. I really had them fooled and I had a gas doing it.

Disillusioned

I used to do a voice impression of Dicknose, my late boss. He talked like Jackie Mason.

I used to crack my mother up with my impression of Idi Amin saying "what de hell going on here?"

A few years ago, when I first became a licensed radio ham, I used to do an on-air impression of Beavis and Butt-head's neighbor Tom Anderson with his rambling war stories. For some reason the other hams thought this was hilarious and they all wanted to talk to Tom Anderson.

Then I came to find out there really WAS a radio ham named Tom Anderson in Beavis and Butt-head's home state of FL... :eek: That made for some unpleasant confusion!

If you do it to someone's face it's called mimicking and that is rude and mocking. I have the gift of being able to sound like others but have never used it on anyone to hurt the. When I was in high school I did a spanking impression of my biology teacher who was a catholic brother from the south with a big drawl. He got wind of me doing impression of him and made me do it in class in front of everyone. He laughed his butt off when I did it. I also had two bosses on my summer job and I could sound just like them. They were both mean and feared--so when I knew they weren't in the office at the moment I'd start yelling in their voice at some of the guys from behind a wall or hedge or w/e. I really had them fooled and I had a gas doing it.

Then Rich Little and folks who "mimick" and are artist in their own right are thus rude and mocking? To each their own, I find the talent to impersonate to be one that is crafted. When Rich Little did Nixon spot on , even Nixon thought it to be delightful. Reckon its a matter of ones ability to laugh at ones self....Some folks have thinner skin in this manner though. Which rightfully deserves consideration...I just dont see the harm in emulating or "imitating" another, for we each carry certain mannerisms that can be embellished for art sake :) Now if a person is being mocking, one can tell the difference from the get go. I don't think the co worker is being mocking.

• Author
Afishwithabike

My overall impression is that he's not doing it to belittle anyone. He's one of the most helpful guys there. Friendly to everyone and always willing to lend a hand.

He does these impersonations every.single.day and I think the frequency bothers me. It's fine if he did them once in a great while, but every day gets on my nerves.

I made an offhand comment today about how we should impersonate him and he laughed. He put one hand on his hips and did a swishy runway walk. He said that he could impersonate him that way. :rolleyes:

Edited by Afishwithabike

It sounds as though generally he's a pretty good colleague, albeit with a habit that might get annoying at times. How do others react to his impersonations?

• Author
Afishwithabike

For the most part they seem to ignore the impersonations. Some chuckle, but it seems to be out of a sense of politeness. The more that people smile or laugh, the more it seems he does it. He's going for a reaction and that's the pay off for him.

He does a few impersonations that are spot on and quite hilarious. Some of his impersonations aren't really accurate at all.

ilikesunita

It could be just how he is, but I'm not sure if ill-intent can be read into it.

Speak with him, in a calm manner and not with hostility, that his conduct is unsettling. If he realises that it can be seen to be untoward, then he may desist.