Boss has horrible breath.

Duckduckgoose

Yeah... my boss has some serious swamp breath... my eyes water when he comes to tell me something or check on something. I chew a lot of gum, and I offhandedly offered him a piece today... the last piece in the pack, while he was explaining something to me and I was getting a piece for myself. He declined it :sick:

How should I deal with his rancid breath? I know other people have to be smelling it too... its THAT BAD. I rather not get fired over this if I was to bring it up to him.

Ah, you can't bring it up, it's something that just is what it is.

I worked with a woman with the same condition. She could be 5 feet away from me and it would assault me. It's usually a chronic condition, and out of the person's control.

Feelin Frisky

My last boss when I worked on Wall Street a while back was a woman whose breath could knock a buzzard off a manure pile. She was an old Irish nun-looking frump with a hell hole under her nose. All I could do was avoid her and try not to breathe when she spoke in my direction. Good luck and god bless.

My last boss when I worked on Wall Street a while back was a woman whose breath could knock a buzzard off a manure pile. She was an old Irish nun-looking frump with a hell hole under her nose. All I could do was avoid her and try not to breathe when she spoke in my direction. Good luck and god bless.

Oh wow.

Most people with bad breath don't know they have it as bad as they do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
Duckduckgoose

Thanks for the responses. I keep candy on my desk normally, and lots of gum in my desk. I made sure to get mint candies for my desktop stash. That way if he gets the urge for candy there's mints right there.

Otherwise when I try to communicate with him (he's a pretty sociable guy) I do it while he's in his office at his desk and I stand in the doorway, or communicate from across my computer (let the monitor take the brunt for me).

dreamingoftigers

Could be that he is on one of those crazy weight-loss programs.

Yes bad breath is nasty.

Don't you remember the good old days when all you had to worry about was going through a divorce, unemployment, and the state you were in getting hit with a natural disaster. Boy those were the days....;)

Just teasing you.

Eddie Edirol
Thanks for the responses. I keep candy on my desk normally, and lots of gum in my desk. I made sure to get mint candies for my desktop stash. That way if he gets the urge for candy there's mints right there.

Otherwise when I try to communicate with him (he's a pretty sociable guy) I do it while he's in his office at his desk and I stand in the doorway, or communicate from across my computer (let the monitor take the brunt for me).

DDG, I just now came up with an idea that will work and you dont even have to say anything.

You say your bosses breath literally brings you to tears when hes in your face?

You will have to suffer, but its for one last time, this will get the message across:

Next time he is in your face with his garbage breath, let the smell bring you to tears, let them flow, even if you gag. He will notice tears, and when he asks you whats wrong, you point to your mouth. if he doesnt get it, point to his mouth. He doesnt speak hint language, but he has to understand sign language!

Ah, you can't bring it up, it's something that just is what it is.

It's usually a chronic condition, and out of the person's control.

Not necessarily- seeing a dental hygienist regularly can help control bad breath. The most common reason for bad breath is poorly maintained oral hygiene or gum disease. Gum disease has been linked to heart disease recently so getting it under control has more benefits than just freshening your breath.

OP, you could mention in passing that you are going to see the hygienist, (or have been or something) and rave about how great they were and how your mouth now feels so clean and fresh. Either that or say "I am really due for a dental check up, my mouth feels so disgusting when i don't keep my checkups regular".

Eddie Edirol
Not necessarily- seeing a dental hygienist regularly can help control bad breath. The most common reason for bad breath is poorly maintained oral hygiene or gum disease. Gum disease has been linked to heart disease recently so getting it under control has more benefits than just freshening your breath.

OP, you could mention in passing that you are going to see the hygienist, (or have been or something) and rave about how great they were and how your mouth now feels so clean and fresh. Either that or say "I am really due for a dental check up, my mouth feels so disgusting when i don't keep my checkups regular".

That only works for women, men dont read hints like that.

Plus he could know his breath stinks, he could be one of those numbnuts that is too chicken and inconsiderate to go to the dentist.

I doubt he realizes his breath is so bad. I think most people would try to do something about it if they knew their breath was bad. Keeping the hard candy on your desk and offering him some candy right away when he comes over is a good plan. Most people wouldn't refuse candy. I wouldn't want to hurt his feelings by suggesting mouthwash, even if it were anonymously communicated.

If you;re giving him candy your potentially going to make his dental problems worse....

YUCK. Poor you, how disgusting.

yes gum disease can indeed be a factor, the MOST common though is the acid reflux or stomach ails, Yes they are more relevant in creating halitosis.

A good friend of mine actually takes garlic tablets ( he is into homeopathic cures) and his breath is horrendous, so luckily I bought him some natural mint tablets since he understands after gentle prodding that his mouth has a garlic-y fragrance during speech....He wasn't insulted so much as taken aback that it was that noticeable. His stomach ails have lessen'd and his breath is a wee bit more tolerable....

Eddie Edirol
so luckily I bought him some natural mint tablets since he understands after gentle prodding that his mouth has a garlic-y fragrance during speech....He wasn't insulted so much as taken aback that it was that noticeable. His stomach ails have lessen'd and his breath is a wee bit more tolerable....

unlike most people here youre brave enough to tell him to his face whats going on, youre on an island there. You might want to share your prodding tactics. No one here will actually do it, but sharing is caring.

unlike most people here youre brave enough to tell him to his face whats going on, youre on an island there. You might want to share your prodding tactics. No one here will actually do it, but sharing is caring.

AN Island? Yeah I guess a continent is an island if its surrounded by water on various sides Atlantic/Pacific.

CBS cares, not sure the poster is in a position to use the inquiry technic...

There is a difference between telling a friend they have bad breath and telling your boss....

I remember when i worked with a guy who used to go to the gym before work and either wouldn't shower or wore clothes that stunk of BO.... the WHOLE work knew before he did because everyone was too scared to bring it up.

If my husband had bad breath I would tell him in a heartbeat. A co-worker... maybe not in so many words, there are more boundaries there.

Eddie Edirol
AN Island? Yeah I guess a continent is an island if its surrounded by water on various sides Atlantic/Pacific.

CBS cares, not sure the poster is in a position to use the inquiry technic...

noooooo. I meant an island of people that are brave enough. Not where you live. its figurative. ugh. Im losing my metaphor chops.

The OP is in a position to use the TEARS tactic. She has to deal with him invading her boundaries with his noxious mouth fumes. She has every right to tell him he is offensive, just like you did, but she could still use some help with the tactic.

Edited by Eddie Edirol
whichwayisup
There is a difference between telling a friend they have bad breath and telling your boss....

I remember when i worked with a guy who used to go to the gym before work and either wouldn't shower or wore clothes that stunk of BO.... the WHOLE work knew before he did because everyone was too scared to bring it up.

If my husband had bad breath I would tell him in a heartbeat. A co-worker... maybe not in so many words, there are more boundaries there.

Oh I have no qualms telling my H. First time was weird and felt like I was hurting his feelings, but now it's like "you stink, go brush your teeth or have a mint. Love ya!" :laugh: A co worker, you pass out gum and make sure they take it. If they refuse, you then say, "this gum tastes so good, you need to try it, please" and smile.. they won't say no..;) A boss? You could try the mint/candy/gum thing, but if they say no, don't come up with a smart ass line. Let it go and learn to breath through your ears when around them!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
Duckduckgoose

Well he seems to know he's got some kicking breath, cause the mints thing worked!!

Just about every time he goes by my desk he gets one!

I think maybe he knew he had some horrid breath :p

But what if I want to get a different candy for my desktop jar next time?

Well he seems to know he's got some kicking breath, cause the mints thing worked!!

Just about every time he goes by my desk he gets one!

I think maybe he knew he had some horrid breath :p

But what if I want to get a different candy for my desktop jar next time?

Stick with the mints & have your own separate stash of whatever candy you like :)

ilikesunita

OP, live with it. I am not being unsympathetic. But i can't see you having much rational options here:

- You cannot complain directly to your boss, a subordinate cannot order a boss around.

- You can go to HR, but your boss would deem that disrespectful, and s/he would hold that against you. HR may also think you're a crybaby and a whiner, and they may blackmark you.

Perhaps simply lessen the amount of time in your boss' presence. Say that you wish to work more autonomously, and will report to him/her when tasks are finished or if you want report updates.