How do you hit the PAvement? Internet job search sucks

Job sites have nothing but fancy jobs for professionals with lots of experience. I'm just an average joe looking for entry level work. There's nothing. I'm quiet and with speaking problems and i see customer service jobs alot but that's somethign i can't do.

But Job books etc, say that Interenet and newspaper listing job search is a waste of time and that it's better to hit the pavement and

approach companies or cold call.

I really have no clue how to do this. And being that i suck at speaking, i can't even imagine how to start cause companies want someone who sound fluent and mature and I have the vocabulary of a 4 year old. and i often get stuck.

Anyways, how do i hit the pavement and how do i cold call? I tried cold calling before and all i get is the rec eptionists says "no we don't have jobs" or "you can try looking in our website"

And approaching companies directly? how does that work? I just go to wherever i want and say "Do you guys have jobs?" Most likely i'll just get "no we dont"

This is depressing, in 2008 there were more real job ads in craiglist, now it's full of spam

When I was in my teens, I did a lot of going in to cafes or shops and asking if they had work available. I just walked in and said something along the lines of 'hi, I'm xxx, I'm looking for a summer job/ part time work and was wondering if there was anything available here'. You do get lots of no-s, but I did land one job in a cafe. I say give it a try, there's nothing to lose, but be prepared for rejections because that's inevitable. Take a few copies of your CV with you, with your contact details.

Have you tried temping agencies?

Another option, if that's available in your area, might be farm work - that doesn't require a lot of communicative skills.

• Author

Ok i will try that cold approach.

About temping. Temping these days is dry!!! I get no phone calls from anyone and i keep calling saying i'm available. I applied to all the temp companies around here.

Some of them are even ignoring me becacuse i worked for them before and seems they don't like me.

TheLawmaker

Some of them are even ignoring me becacuse i worked for them before and seems they don't like me.

I highly doubt that's true. It's probably your low self esteem talking.

Have you tried going through a disability hire? I'm sure, if you have a disability, they can't disqualify you for that. They could get sued!

TheFamilyMan

your vocabulary seems fine...one thing you could do is create a list of businesses you'd like to work at, then one day go to each individual one and fill out an application and speak with managers or whatever higher up employee is there just to establish some kind of rapport. Dress well and make sure you look sharp for this to make a good impression.

• Author

Fill application even though they don't have any job oppenings advertised??

Today i found a company and it said they have a PART TIME filing position. I'm not looking for part time and i can't take part time because my Unemployment benefits would be canceled if i do.

So even if companies don't have an advertised position, I can fillan application?

I empathize with you quietguy, it is very difficult to find employment these days. Have you tried looking in your local newspaper? If you are planning on going from business to business then I suggest you go to warehouse type places and make sure you always bring a copy of your resume along so you can leave it with them along with the filled out application. What are your skills? What sort of work are you looking for besides full time and not customer service/sales/restaurant (since all those require an outgoing type personality)?

Applications just go into a file anyway. An HR person I spoke to recently said that contacts is the #1 way to get a job - linkedin, facebook, twitter, everything you can use to find someone in a company you want to work at, and ask them to recommend you.

Also, if you have the time, tailor your resume for each job before you email your resume, using the appropriate key words and phrases, as they will likely be conducting an electronic search through the electronic resumes for just those words used in their 'help wanted' job description.