Each year in June a staff review is done per employee. After 8 years of being there I actually "GET" how they determine performance, inter relations and projected goals. They spin a wheel!

Seriously I could copy verbatum how each year its the same thing. I find this hard to believe that in 8 years my performance hasn't improved, that the inter relations and projected goals haven't improved. Yet each year its the same old left overs and I literally sat there this time and said nothing. They are deaf to feedback and more often then not abhor the staff review anyways.

Yes I have notated thru out the year the extra time and efforts I have put into projects. How I take weekends to do projects that others refuse to assist in simply to get the items up to date. Yet that means nothing at review time. So I toss it to the side and listen to the "boss's" who are rarely around to see the day to day tasks that need completed to line their pockets.

Next year I will simply make things brief for them and copy the year befores' review, its really getting redundant and I for one see no incentive that makes me want to do well after the reviews . Sorry for the rant, just wondering if reviews are really effective for rev'n the person up to exceed or is it just a way to suppress them to conform....its a mixed bag most years....Your thoughts on company staff reviews?

laRubiaBonita

they are stupid and a waste of time.

for the 9 years i have been at my job- my review is: lRB, here is your review, look over it. any questions? sign it.

it is the same satisfactory each year, it is the same work goals every year, it is the same maintaining of the staus quo every year.

Afishwithabike

Where I work, the performance review is just a check mark, another bureaucratic thing to do. No one really reads it. No one writes anything "bad". Your timing is great considering I had my semi-annual performance review today. I went into our department head's office to talk about my most important project. As I was leaving, he said "oh you need to sign your performance review" and handed me the piece of paper. We do it on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis. He had written some nice things about me. There wasn't any mention of anything I needed to improve. The boss I worked for previously for ten years in this same agency used to have *me* write my own performance review. I would write glowing things about myself. :laugh: He would sign it without making any changes. Unfortunately cash awards aren't tied to your performance reviews, but your work on individual projects. Strange, I know.

My mom is now retired, but she used to work for a large bank where the employees were graded on a five-point scale with excellent at the top. She would get into heated disagreements with her boss about why she should get an "excellent" instead of "very good". I'm glad my workplace doesn't have such a scale. Either you're doing your job or you're not. That's how things are evaluated here.

Edited by Afishwithabike
laRubiaBonita
My mom is now retired, but she used to work for a large bank where the employees were graded on a five-point scale with excellent at the top. She would get into heated disagreements with her boss about why she should get an "excellent" instead of "very good". I'm glad my workplace doesn't have such a scale. Either you're doing your job or you're not. That's how things are evaluated here.

we had a scale too, but there was too much confusion, personal vendetta's and ill will that came from it so it was scaled back to satisfactory or unsatisfactory.

Reviews are good way to checkup on the staff and see where everyone mind set is. Otherwise you don't know what he or she is thinking to do. Bonuses and advancements are good to add in. Review company work policy too.

We had a employee who just go fired for making a very stupid mistake out one of our client sites.

What he did was unprofessional. He drove to the client site, where he had attempted to park the company SUV. He didn't look behind him. He hit a parked motor bike. Instead of reporting it to the client, he move motor bike to one side and had parked the company SUV. Gone into the client site and did what he was set out to do. Then he drove way never reporting anything to our company.

So now the client calls up our corp offices and told them that they have video showing the incident that happen on their property showing that our company logo, SUV and our employee damaging one of their employees vehicle. What embarrassment for our company employee off site policy if you get into accident do report the issue. This never happen!

• Author

Thanks for the varying replies! I agree that satisfactory and unsatisfactory doesn't really hit the mark as to how to improve or what created that marking.

In an old job I had they scaled from 1 to ten. And at the end of the tally if you were at 80 points or above they graded your raise. Meaning 80 points got you a 5% raise, 85 points got you 8%...and so on. Rarely did anyone get the full 20% raise as that would require changing water into wine.

Coolheadal- That was a policy no no in your story which is not really part of the review. In your scenario its an immediate termination, no questions asked. I get that the safety of the car and the employee were at stake not to mention the damage it created both from an image stand point and physical liability. That had to be one sorry guy at the end of his day....

Another place I worked at did a neat thing. They had your co workers give feedback since they worked with you. Most were kind or gave feedback that could improve the tasks, rarely if ever did anyone mark folks negative unless the incidence(s) warranted it. Our boss's believed that the ones who know you best should be the ones' to aide in the review feedback. It actually made us each be more positive in how we worked together and accomplish things.

Afishwithabike

Another place I worked at did a neat thing. They had your co workers give feedback since they worked with you. Most were kind or gave feedback that could improve the tasks, rarely if ever did anyone mark folks negative unless the incidence(s) warranted it. Our boss's believed that the ones who know you best should be the ones' to aide in the review feedback. It actually made us each be more positive in how we worked together and accomplish things.

I have mixed feelings about having co-workers give feedback. I've worked with a few difficult people. I wouldn't want their feedback because they're the type to get out of the wrong side of the bed every day. Unfortunately, their supervisors were weak and meek. The troublesome employees had strong personalities. They knew they would get away with things and they did.

I wish the employees got to evaluate the supervisors. There should be some mechanism for that to occur.

laRubiaBonita

we can evaluate every supervisor position, regardless is they are our direct supers or not.

i did my direct boss- but i feel like i was a little too emotional with it and not as objective as i probably should have been.

i was told today to get my self evaluation in by tmw. :/

• Author
yep, it can be anonymous or you can put your name.

LOL! I can only imagine some of the names people can place on their anonymous style reviews :)

I do like the concept of reviewing the supervisors, Most here wouldn't tolerate it though in the corp world, How else did they climb the latter....

To Afishwithabike- Ohh I savor some folks real negative feedback, it reflects more on them then it does on the task at hand. My one boss loves to hear negative stuff, cuz he douses it and twist it around to find the positive. Example: "You are soo slow at completing a task", He'll say "Well actually I am thorough and consider it important to be accurate and not rush thru things". Its rather funny though when he gives negative talk and we twist it around. He can only smirk and say, ahh I see you are learning ! ...