Volunteering: Is it good idea when Unemployed?

Even if you pick any place. like a church or whatever? is it good to do this?

I actually found one preschool today and i called them andi'm gonna fill out an application.

But i have heard of stuff like "Don't volunteer your services for free for more than a few weeks". I was thinking i would volunteerr for as long as i don't find a job.. sooo....

If you care about what you are volunteering for then it is never wrong.

Your experiences could help you with answering some of the more difficult interpersonal interview questions.

Lots of places need volunteers. If you're a recent grad, it's a great way to get experience. Try to volunteer at some place that's similar to your interests or major.

Don't think long-term and don't give them more than several hours a day. You'll just used up if you do that. Give them three or four hours a day max. But, make them productive hours, schedule the time and let the manager on site know what kind of things you're interested in- organizing, web work, social media, writing, etc.

Hardly anyone is going to turn down a respectable person trying to give away free labor. It will help you beef up the resume and cover letter, develop a working relationship that could turn into a job reference and maybe even a job. If you're interested in a particular field, touch base with people in that field (LinkedIn.com) or trade associations and get their suggestions. Good luck and have fun.

• Author

Thanks.!!!!

I'm not a recent grad. and i don't have any major area or anything. So I'm just doing whatever there is.

I think it's a great idea. It shows you have a good work ethic and will allow you to develop your skills.

When business was in the shyter, mainly as a result of my divorce and end of life care for my mom and my distractions with that, I did a lot of volunteering as a way to rebuild contacts. It's a way of getting one's name in front of people in a positive way. A lot of my particular brand of volunteering was lending my skillset to friends who have influence and decision-making powers in business. Friends take care of friends. Results aren't immediate but the bills get paid and bonds are strengthened and life goes on. I've been unemployed for over a generation so volunteering is a way of life ;)

Hi

They say it is important to volunteer so that the potential employer sees your not sitting at home doing nothing.

Judith

Even if you pick any place. like a church or whatever? is it good to do this?

I actually found one preschool today and i called them andi'm gonna fill out an application.

But i have heard of stuff like "Don't volunteer your services for free for more than a few weeks". I was thinking i would volunteerr for as long as i don't find a job.. sooo....

It fills employment gaps. Employers will more be into the person who's been doing stuff as opposed to sitting on their butts all day sending resumes only.

Keep sending resumes, but if you want to volunteer, do it. Try to find something that involves your skills. You might learn more, get more experiences, and thus make yourself more valuable in your job hunt.