Looking for career opinoins

HokeyReligions

I think there are some medical folks out there -- I am considering changing my career (again) and am presently checking out the health care industry.

I don't want to be a doctor (too old & not enough gray-matter for that!) but I was thinking of a more technical field - maybe radiology.

I would appreciate opinions from people in various sectors of medicine/health care.

I'm still considering mortician / funeral director and since I'm looking for a new job again I figured I'd look in the cities where there are decent mortuary colleges!

Hokey - do you have access to labour market indices for your area? Are there projections for upcoming skill shortages/demand? It seems to me that radiology techs have been in demand, but it depends on the area. You might wish to contact the professional associations for some of the placements you're considering to inquire about the short and long-term outlook for those occupations.

• Author
HokeyReligions

I have looked at labor stats and geographic areas -- I'm seriously considering moving, but haven't decided on an area of the country yet so I'm checking LOTS of alternatives. Radiology has a lot of specialities within it and those have some pretty good growth predictions -- also more residency time tho!

I really am leaning toward funeral services/morticians. I'm kinda in a catch 22 situation -- I can't afford to work in the industry in an entry-level position because it doesn't pay enough to live on, but I also need to work in the industry while I'm going to school because industry experience and exposure is a requirement - morticians and funeral directors serve internships after graduation and every place I've talked to told me that they wouldn't even consider someone without some experience and the interships pay crap -- but, you gotta pay your dues!

Hey! My phone just rang - I got a call from a headhunter who is submitting my resume to a company for an office manager position! (It doesn't pay what I used to make- but it pays enough) I've found work thru this headhunter before and she said she was really excited to hear that I was back in the market again and feels confident that her client will want to interview me. I only sent her my resume this morning!

• Author
HokeyReligions

I have an interview with them on Monday morning. Also the company I am currently contracting with, and who said they can keep me maybe thru December, also said they might be able to keep me thru January & into February because they are converting to a new accounting software and will need help with the conversion. It's still a contract position, but it beats unemployment and may give me more time to keep looking.

Good on ya! Now cross your fingers for me - time I jumped back into the working world, says my shrieking bank account LOL. I want something relatively simple so I can do some studyin' up for my new career path. Unfortunately, people tend not to want to hire me for simple jobs. They say I'll get tired of the job and quit. Sigh.