Is it inappropriate for your boss to text you after hours about things that are not work related? (male boss texting a female employee)

sunshine63

it depends...If he is married and flirting with you; i.e., meet me for drinks at the bar, it is not appropriate. If he sends you a message saying his wife would like to have your potato salad recipe because she loved your's at the company picnic..that would be appropriate.

I think you should share the exact contect of the message so people can get a clear picture of what is going on.

It's generally inappropriate, but what are the text messages in regards to?

I'd simply ignore the texts for now. If he continues to press you for personal information, mention that you keep your personal and professional lives separate and change the subject to work related matters. Act friendly but professional, to the point where he will have no choice but to be professional back. Obviously don't friend him on facebook or twitter.

• 4 weeks later...
jonpeter001

Devereux pleaded guilty to sending text messages conveying a threatening message between December 21, 2009 and January 4, 2010, during sentencing on Wednesday, March 10.

Prosecuting, Neil Audley said Devereux was sent a text message on December 13, telling him his contract would not be renewed because the contractor was ‘not satisfied’ with his work.

He said: "He took it too far when he expressed his dissatisfaction at what had happened to him. He sent text messages that were of a threatening nature over the Christmas period."

Do you not enjoy the texts? If you don't want the texts, I would just not answer and the boss will get the message. If you are interested, however, then you can respond, of course.

It's impossible to say without knowing what kind of messages he's sending. 'Could be friendly, 'could be out of line... Tell us some more!