Please send Hokey good thoughts! I may be a bitch, but I'm a well-meaning bitch! :)

HokeyReligions

Could use a little cyber suppport :)

I have never been nervous or anything about job interviews, talking to my bosses, etc. I've been working on a contract basis at this company since last May. I started in another department and actually interviewed for the position I have now - which I started the end of August. I accepted it with the understanding that as soon as my contract expired and the company no longer had to pay the high signing bonus, I would go permanent. The contract expired over a month ago. I have been trying to pin my boss down on a time to meet and discuss salary (yes, I know -- silly to be working so hard when I don't even know what my salary will be!) and I finally have a 9:00 am meeting with her tomorrow.

I also gave her over a week of work free - I worked so much overtime on the budgets it was over 40 hours in OT. My boss told me not to work it, but I explained that I absolutly had to in order to meet the deadline and that I would give it to her and we could work out some comp time later. I'm going to discuss this with her tomorrow also.

I know what I have to make and I know what the benefits cost hers is. If we don't come to an agreement tomorrow I will have to leave and they get someone else, or accept whatever they offer and stay. Of course, I'll end up accepting whatever it is while I continue to look for work! it can't be less than my contract amount.

My biggest concern: I don't have a lot to do and I have yet to see where they need a full-time person for this position. The budget stuff I spent so much time on is not part of my regular duties and will not become part of my regular duties - I was just helping out. My regular duties amount to about 4 hours of actual work a week. I help others out a lot and am constantly trying to build this position up into something they really need. It's getting there - but very slowly. Being a newly created position there is no history or guideline to go by. This makes me very uncomfortable when talking about a permanent position, salary and benefits. I don't know if I am a good enough actress to discuss this position as though it was a vital part of the company. I'm a lousy liar and it feels a little like a lie to me right now - I blush furiously when I lie -- even if I do maintain eye contact -- the more eye contact when lying the deeper the blush!

Wish me luck tomorrow. I have my own agenda worked out of what I want to say and cover. I have given that information to my boss too so she can be prepared as well.

I have never been "unemployed" for this long before. The economy in and around Houston Texas is horrid! I have not had a permanent job since last May 5th! This living on the edge is starting to make me nervous now as we approach the holidays. I can't afford to not work for two days at Thanksgiving and two days at Christmas. Those days are unpaid for me and every penny counts! I just paid $300 for prescriptions on Saturday (that is not even ALL of the 'scripts) and today I have to pay $60 for flu shots (mom, hubby, me). The doctors have said that the flu would probably kill my mother and I sure can't afford to get sick and miss work!

It's funny -- I've sold or traded a bunch of stuff over the summer - mostly for cash, but I did get new leather furniture (no out of pocket expense for me - I got the money from a sale of my own) and we've bought or traded for some nice things - and we got more nice things this year then in the last 9 years when I was working and making more money! :) I'm negotiating with someone to provide some desktop publishing and baby sitting services in exchange for room painting and flooring. the better my house looks the more I can get for it if/when I have to sell it! :)

Anyway, wish me luck!

I'm wishing you the best of luck in that interview, and saying a prayer or two, as well.

job interviews are necessary evils, they make me feel nauseous, frankly ( :sick: ). But, one trick I learned was to treat it like an interview I do when putting together stories. Selling yourself is the hard part, but if you get them to understand that you've got something really really unique and really really special that only YOU can do, you've got it.

I don't have a lot to do and I have yet to see where they need a full-time person for this position. The budget stuff I spent so much time on is not part of my regular duties and will not become part of my regular duties - I was just helping out. My regular duties amount to about 4 hours of actual work a week. I help others out a lot and am constantly trying to build this position up into something they really need.

hokey-honey, if you can keep the natives from losing their heads when it comes to crunch-time/deadline, that's invaluable in itself. Being a team player -- especially when you are willing to work behind the scenes -- is the most important facet an employee can have, because it gives management big relief when they've got someone they can trust.

now go get them, tiger!

Incidentally, do you or your husband (or even Mom) have any kind of military background? I just switched over from my company's insurance provider to one offered through the VA because my husband is a military veteran, and it's making a HUGE difference in being able to get medications and being able to pay for them.

If your posts here are any example, you will come across as articulate, well-reasoned and intelligent -- three qualities any employer would value. In fact, based on what you wrote, you are exactly the kind of employee that companies need more of -- there is no doubt that you will more than earn your keep.

Knock 'em dead!

• Author
HokeyReligions

Thank you :):):D

I know I am a good employee, on my letters of reference from prior employers the words, dependable, loyal, dedicated, hard working, and valuable asset all come up. So I will present myself that way and TRY not to blush!

Incidentally, do you or your husband (or even Mom) have any kind of military background? I just switched over from my company's insurance provider to one offered through the VA because my husband is a military veteran, and it's making a HUGE difference in being able to get medications and being able to pay for them.
I wish. i tried to get some VA benefits because of my dad, but no such luck. Mom is on Medicaid and it only covers some of her 'scripts and nothing will pick up the remainder. Thank goodness some of my husbands diabetes medicine is covered under Medicare and our doc gives me a ton of free samples for one of the other meds. If we had to pay for ALL of the meds! We'd be dead - it would cost over $1400 a month!

Its funny, our home loan is a VA loan and we get a ton of calls from lenders wanting us to refinance. We assumed a VA loan when we bought the house - but neither of us is a vet.

you might want to look into VA benefits for your mom if your dad was a veteran, just call the local Veteran Service Officer and ask. It's worth a shot!

Hokey, I wish you the best of luck with your interview tomorrow. Nobody likes having to go through those kinds of things . Give yourself a real self boosting inner talk all morning before the interview reminding yourself of all of your positive strengths and value. It'll work wonders for your confidence and will likely result in a better interview. Go get 'em.

Hokey doke -

I hope it all works out for you just as you hope. Blow 'em right out of the water, girl!