Why did you not choose to pursue acting or singing and fame/fortune?

Ok, this may be a weird question. My question probably sounds like of juvenile so let me start by saying I'm in my early 30's. In my opinion, the most exciting job would be to be an actress like Ashely Tisdale, Ashley Greene or Taylor Lautner or perhaps a singer like Lady Gaga. Celebs always get to wear designer couture for events (for them it's work though) and jet set. Sure they work hard but their lives are exciting plus they are millionaires. Even tv actors get paid minimum $30k an episode usually (that's the lowest rate for a recurring role on a primetime tv show). If this pursuit (in the entertainment industry) never appealed to you, I am just curious to know why??

How do you find meaning in live when you have to work a 9-5? Isn't it dreadful? Almost all jobs are monotonous imho; accounting, doctor, attorney, office drone. When you were a kid you looked forward to summer vacation or graduation but now that you're an adult there's nothing to look forward to really if you work a 9-5 except retirement. That's the only escape.

So my question is a two part question really. If being a starlet or male star never appealed to you, why?

And what do you look forward to when you have a 9-5 job? It really seems like there is nothing to look forward to except the weekends, retirement and then death.

nyc_guy2003
Even tv actors get paid minimum $30k an episode usually (that's the lowest rate for a recurring role on a primetime tv show).

Not true. The cast of Jersey Shore got $5,000 per episode in season 1 and $10,000 in season 2 even though they were MTV's top rated program.

Afishwithabike

How do you find meaning in live when you have to work a 9-5? Isn't it dreadful? Almost all jobs are monotonous imho; accounting, doctor, attorney, office drone. When you were a kid you looked forward to summer vacation or graduation but now that you're an adult there's nothing to look forward to really if you work a 9-5 except retirement. That's the only escape.

So my question is a two part question really. If being a starlet or male star never appealed to you, why?

And what do you look forward to when you have a 9-5 job? It really seems like there is nothing to look forward to except the weekends, retirement and then death.

Trust me no one would pay good money to see me act or sing! :laugh:

Being a star or singer seems like a feast or famine type of job. Sure you could have great success, but you're much more likely to have periods where you're trying desperately to eke out a living. Look at how many waiters and waitresses there are in Hollywood just hoping for their big break. I value stability too much to embark on a career like that.

I've never wanted to be a star. When I was a kid I wanted to be a commercial airline pilot, but that was not meant to be.

I have more like a 8 to 6 job with a large organization. My background is in law. I absolutely love my job. I love the people I work with (wasn't always the case, but it is now), the projects, the variety of assignments, the intellectual challenge, the pride I get from earning a good salary on my own, etc. I stayed home for several months after the birth of my child. While it was a bonding period, there was a part of me that longed to be back at the workplace. I find I'm a better wife and mother when I'm working. I don't find work dreadful at all. I get certain week days off every month so it's not just weekends and holidays that I'm off. I take pride in my work, but I don't have to take my work home. That's the beauty of a 9-5 job.

A 9-5 job is not servitude. Not to me anyway. A 9-5 job can be as fulfilling if you have passion for your job. I think that's what it comes down to. Passion for the job. I happen to like my 9-5 job just as someone else might like being a private business owner with long hours or a freelance writer working from home.

• Author
Not true. The cast of Jersey Shore got $5,000 per episode in season 1 and $10,000 in season 2 even though they were MTV's top rated program.

I am talking about ACTORS, not reality stars. As for Jersey Shore

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/08/jersey-shore-raise/

"As has been reported, the eight-member cast has just finished their salary negotiations. Multiple sources close to the matter tell EW the deal has members of the “core group” now pulling down at least $100,000 per episode, especially once you factor in their bonus structure. Each season is usually 13 episodes."

I was talking about TV though... Ashely Tisdale is getting 30k an ep for Hellcats as is Matthew Morrison for Glee and that is towards the low wend but this was BEFORE Glee was a hit. Scroll down here to see PRIMETIME salaries http://www.tvguide.com/News/Top-TV-Earners-1021717.aspx

Anyways, the cast of Jersey Shore is cleaning up through public appearances. Mike The Situation made 5 mil in 2010 from paid appearances and endorsements. http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/situation_set_to_net_in_gui_dough_IbcuUGBVKA0GS7fG073PXK

Exactly.

It's called corporate slavery. Perhaps people are happy working for others...but honestly, I rather live a life of pure poverty doing what I want to do.

If you are young...go do it. Imagine being on your death bed and thinking "What if..". Don't be that person..

It has never appealed to me because I am not a people person, and the idea of going to parties and being surrounded by people all day sounds like my own personal hell.

My true goal is to become a freelance writer. Sure it's not glamorous, but I would get to work for myself and do what I want to do. My job at the moment gives me experience in the field that I want to write about (medical) and provides the money I need to support myself while I pursue my true dream on the side. Even my job itself isn't that bad because I do enjoy what I do. I have been given personal responsibilities that have an effect on other people's lives. I'm not so sure that I want to do it forever, but I like the stability of it and I enjoy learning something new everyday.

If acting/singing is your passion then I think you should pursue it. Even if you don't like your day job, at least you'll be able to look at it and know that it allows you to support yourself financially while you pursue your dream.

I went after a professional soccer career then got injured. It's my equivalent to stardom so yes, I've wanted something different from a 9 to 5.

A "regular" career is what I have now though.

What do I look forward to? My hobbies and trips, making money, buying toys, my friendships, buying a home, my nieces and nephews, family. I have a lot of fun in life. Every day is what I look forward to.

• 1 month later...

I thought your question OP was a good one. The problem with being in the entertainment industry is its mostly who you know and not what you know. There's people who have the qualifications but find it very difficult to get work as they don't have the contacts.

There's also people who don't have formal training, yet they get somewhere because they're parents are famous and have connections. Getting into the entertainment industry is difficult and tehre's no guarantee that you'll make it.

Actresses/singers and princesses are horribly misunderstood... Besides a gruelling schedule, think of the paparazzi! That alone is enough to deter any sane person. Think about how you would feel if you came across groups of people gossiping unkindly about you ALL THE TIME.. that's probably how it feels to them, when they pick up a copy of the newspaper or a magazine. Can't even cross the road in a shabby outfit without it going on the front page of Galaxie. Can't break up with a guy without it being plastered all over the world.

No thanks, I like my privacy. If I wanted fame, I'd rather win the Nobel prize. If I wanted fortune, I'd rather be a good businessperson.

GildedLily

The average "famous" actor's career has a 5 year longevity then they are a has-been. This is what I learned from a top agent in Hollywood. This is the reality check that I got and confirmed with other agents. Sooner or later even if you "make it" you'll have to be happy being a regular person as this is almost always surely your fate whether you chose a glamourous career or not.

• 1 month later...

I should have been a stand up comedian.

Chelsea Handler is really funny- but I am a lot funnier.

I missed my calling:cool:

I'm 24 and just now getting into modeling. I don't know where it will lead; I highly doubt I will ever get agency representation as I'm too short at 5'7", I'm too old for high fashion, and if any agency did want me they'd probably have me drop at least 10 pounds (currently at 125, my heaviest) even though I am still slim. I highly doubt becoming more well-known as a model/having it be my career is worth feeling bad about myself. I've wanted to do this for over 10 years, so it feels good that I'm fulfilling a longtime dream. I'm doing free print gigs to build a portfolio, then I'll try setting my own rates and see where that gets me. Maybe I'll shop my pics around to a few agencies. I can see it being at most a side gig where I earn a few extra dollars, and at the least just a fun hobby.

ilikesunita

What is contentment? It is relative, as is everything else.

Also, most celebrities are not normal people. Look at Charlie Sheen and the late Amy Winehouse. Hardly balanced and healthy.