I got FIRED today!! I don't understand it!!!

Guys, I am so upset. Tonight I got fired from Ruby Tuesday! It was all a HUGE misunderstanding and I should NOT have gotten fired! I have been working there about 5 months, and I have NEVER had a guest complaint on me. And my manager has told me time and time again what a great server I am and how good I am with the customers and blah blah blah. And then tonight, I had a couple come in my section, I took their drink order, and then brought their drinks and asked if they were ready to order. They said they needed a few more minutes, so I said "okay" and left the table....I swear, it wasn't 5 minutes later that my section partner came up to me and handed me thier order. When I asked her why she got it, she said calmly "Because they asked me too". I didn't think anything about it, and just went on about my business. Well, at the end of my shift, my manager informed me that those guests came up to him and complained and said that I didn't ever come back to take their order! Which is crazy! I did! I mean, I have NEVER had a gues complain about me, and then all of a sudden one does and I get fired? I just don't understand it! I don't think that's right.

I was really upset about it because it was totally unexpected. My manager told me that he would talk to our district manager about it and see if he could work something out to where I wouldn't be fired for it, but I really don't think it's going to do any good.

Is there anything I can do about this? I am just so hurt, shocked, mad, upset....everything! I thought I was doing a great job and had finally found a job I liked and then all of a sudden ONE guest gets rubbed the wrong way and my job goes out the window. I mean, maybe those guests were just having a bad night, or maybe they were just that type that is hard to please....or for all my manager knows, how does he know they weren't people that just disliked me personally and wanted to get me fired? He didn't even ask my side of the story!!

I just really feel like I was done wrong! It's not right. I mean, I could understand if I had just abandoned that table or something, but I didn't. I want to take some sort of action, if not for saving my job, but just to put myself at ease about this. It really has me very upset. It was so unexpected.

Is there anything I can do about this to possibly save my job? My manager told me to call him back Wednesday and he'll give me a for sure answer as to whether my termination is official or not after he speaks to the district manager about it.

Do you think it would do any good to get in touch with the district manager myself? I mean, is there anything at all I can do?

I really could use some advice from people who know about this stuff and about business, laws, stuff like that.

Thanks in advance, guys. :(

I looked up the Ruby Tuesday employment application at their website:

"I acknowledge and understand that (1) no policy, rule, regulation, guideline, manual, position guide, newsletter, poster, procedure or similar writing constitutes a guaranty of employment or a contract of

employment with the Company, (2) my employment and compensation can be terminated at any time, for any reason or for no reason, by the Company or me, and (3) no manager or official of the Company (other than the

CEO or President in writing) has the authority to enter into any contract or agreement with me for employment for any specified period of time, or to make any contract or agreement contrary to the foregoing."

Fair or not, unless you have some kind of employment contract, they can fire you at will.

If I were you, though, I would put something in writing tonight about what happened, cc the District Manager and your local manager, and drop it off tomorrow.

• Author

Thanks a lot, Clia. I mean, I knew that there wasn't a contract and I knew my employment wasn't guaranteed, but I mean, I just really feel like I was done unfairly. How can they ever expect to keep quality employees if they just fire them at their disposal like that! It's not right.

I got fired today too! Your not alone, mine was for a stupid reason too, but I've been working there for about a year and I didnt like it much anyway, the pay sucked and the job sucked too. So now I'm going to try and get a job at Best Buy, I hope they give employee discounts, because I'm in serious need of some new CDs.

getting fired is always unpleasant, you two... but hey - maybe the next job you find will be more enjoyable/pay better/will have reasonable managers, etc! good luck!

-yes

Why would you want to work for a company that would so hastily fire you without even talking to you about what happened??? Screw them...and I'll NEVER eat at a Ruby Tuesday's again. There are just way too many other restaurants to eat at...and to work for!!!

I agree corporate restaurants f(_)< k you every which way you turn. I was a waitress for almost 2 years, but fortunately i worked at a personally owned Chinese restaurant. with the owners always there to train and help out sure you get ridiculed and lectured but it's for your own good as well as the restaurants. But corporate, hell no i'd never do that. They don't give a flying flaming rat about anyone. If i was you i'd file a complaint with the better business beuro, they always want to here about this stuff. and they treat bell ringers seriously. I know, i've done it before. If you let them know about it, they will most likely formally let the company know they will be keeping on eye on em. Most likely not definitely. XD in the long run, i don't think i'd stay after that. that's abuse, plain and simple. it's also like harassment. Oh, you may have a job, ho hum, check back with me on Wednesday. Sounds to me he isn't all up to snuff. Be careful, look out for #1, YOU!

Vixen :bunny:

I think franchises like Ruby Tuesday's are so use to dealing with high school kids that it is too easy to let someone go indiscriminately because there is always other applicants lined up to fill the slot.

To h*ll with minimum wage and two dollar tips!

Are there any upscale restaurants in your area where you can apply? I have a friend in the service field who prefers waitressing where the meal costs are higher because so are the gratuities!

I'm going to give you some tough love. Believe me it is LOVE and care, not a put down. Keep an open mind if you can.

First....you'll get another job! If you are looking for service jobs (right now) you will get one. So, get your hopes up...and attitude up. It will happen.

Secondly....of course I'm second guessing here...but a manager "usually" doesn't fire an employee for "only one" complaint. Not because they are so great and saintly....no, it's because it costs their corporation (the one that is paying them and going to fire them if they spend too much on new hires) a ton to fire and hire someone. Even a server. Training, health insurance forms put into the system....believe me, a "normal" mgr does not want to deal with this stuff.

So....here is the question. Do you think "maybe" it was more than the situation where the patrons told you they wanted a drink, you got it, then another server told you they felt neglected....Not to rub salt into the wound...but if you really want to figure this out, how long were they left with a drink...but no food order... If you say it wasn't long, I'd believe you. Some people are such brats and spoiled. But the question for your personal growth (groan) is were they being A-holes or were you not doing a great job...and maybe have ignored customers in the past...

If you can say "absolutely not" without reservation....then, eff that effing mgr.

Mgrs. are people and some are a-holes.

Still....think about if you had other problems on the job. Did you treat the dishwashers poorly...did you tip the busboys...did you smile at the patrons (I know it's dumb...but part of the job)...

I would love to know how you handle this situation. Hope I wasn't too harsh, 'cause I'm on yer side.

• Author

I haven't decided on a course of action yet...and I don't even know if anything I could do will make it better or make me feel better.

To answer your questions, Elmo:

I know that I have NEVER had a customer complaint on me before that one. If ever a server gets complained on, the managers always take some sort of action (write ups, suspension, termination...etc) depending on what the case was.

And I remeber specifically what customers he was talking about that complained about me. And they were not waiting long. AT ALL! It says in our training manual that we are supposed to give them 6-10 minutes to decide what they want after we take their drinks to them. I gave them at the most 7 and then the complained. Ususally, I don't even give customers that long....I always check back after 5 minutes or so.

Also, it was a Saturday night and we were busy. They were not my only table. I was busy trying to take care of my other tables, as well as that one, clean dirty tables, run food....etc....It's not like I was standing around.

I didn't really have any other problems on the job. I got along decent with all the other servers except maybe one or two. I was never late, got along great with the managers, the cooks, the dishwashers, and my manager told me time and time again that I was a great server and took care of the customers really well.

That's what makes it so hard to understand. I was under the impression that I was doing a great job.

I mean, even if I call him back Wednesday and he says I can come back, I don't know if I will want to. I mean, like Tony said, why would I want to work for a company that sees me as that dispensable? Obviously I am not a very valuable asset to the team, and they feel I can be easily replaced. That's what hurts. But I know they aren't worried about my feelings, they are only concerned with running a business. It just would have been a lot different if I had gotten some sort of warning. But it totally caught me by suprise.

I didn't sign the write-up sheet, because I didn't agree with it. On the sheet it expained the situation and that because of that, I would be termintated. And by signing, that meant that I agreed with what happened. And I don't, so I didn't sign it.

But anyway, I guess it's just one of those things I have to bend over and take it up the butt because there's nothing I can do about it.

Thanks, everyone.

HokeyReligions

Jamie I know how hurt you are and the most frustrating this is that there is nothing you can really do about it. I'm sorry it happened to you. I've been thru layoffs before and once I was one of the first to be laid off because I did not have a doctors excuse. When I went back to the doctor they gave me a note (sounds childish doesn't it?) and I took that back to work. My supervisor said the note did not have the date when I was first off, only the date I saw the doctor. I asked him what he needed me to do and he said "put the first date you were off on the note in the space provided." I fell for it. I was told I would be notified in a few days if I would be coming back. That was just an excuse so he didn't have to tell me to my face. His boss called me at home and said that it was pointed out to him that I falsified a doctors note! I was livid. I tried to fight it, but to no avail -- they have all sorts of little loopholes but the bottom line is they can fire a person for no reason and it doesn't matter. I can understand your outrage.

When you talk to him on Wednesday - ask for a letter of reference, that could mean the difference in getting a new and better position. Good luck hon, it happens to almost all of us. You'll find a better job.

OH: My doctors note -- I had walking pneumonia and had had it for at least a week. The doctor said he would write a note to reflect that because of my job loss - he was very understanding - but the decision had been made at work and frankly I didn't want to go back. Because of that I was not eligible for unemployment at the time either.

I'm really sorry to hear how shabbily the restauraunt has treated you Jamie. Please take Hokey's advice and at least get them to write you a good reference letter. I'm sure that if there hasd been a problem with your work before they would have warned you about it so I believe you when you say things had been going fine and that this firing is just a ridiculous action on their part. You seem like someone who really does like people so I can't imagine you treating customers in an unprofessional manner. Good luck getting a better job at a better company.

Wow,I never knew you worked at a restaurant Jamie.This is the first time I heard of Ruby Tuesday.I think you should write a letter and explain what happened as Clia said.This sounds so unfair.Hang in there.I hope things get better for you.

Patty

Jamie- I'm going to guess the person who fired you was lookinf for a reason...that one incident shouldn't have prompted it....i remember back when i was a server in college...all the freaken drama, could be a zillion REAL reasons- wanted to create an opening for someone else, wanted to reduce staff, anything...but as contract states and most states have an employment-at-will law- I'd let this one go. I would write a letter to district manager. If you hear something great, if not- don't beat yourself up over it. during job hunt, don't offer the info you got fired- say you wanted to pursue something new or anything...and put down name other than the manager who fired you- usually during reference checks- ex employer won't want to say anything derogatory due to libel scares...I don't think all restaurants even check history- you either know how to be a server or don't- it'll show soon enough...

And never eat there again!

in the interim, many other restaurants out there you'd be qualified for and apparently w/ better people to work for. Good luck!

• Author

No, Cindy. I don't think that had anything to do with it. When I spoke to the manager about that girl, he told me that a lot of servers had a problem with her and it wasn't just me. And after he spoke to her about it (he didn't mention my name, btw) things got a lot better. So I really don't think that was a reason, but I guess anything is possible. That very well could have been a reason, who knows?

God, I will be glad when I get out of school and start a real career! These fly by night jobs are killing me. But in a way, I guess it's a good thing, because every time something like this happens, it just gets me that much more motivated to finish school and get a real career. Ugh.....life sucks sometimes. :(

Jamie, I SOOOO know how you feel, seeing as I got fired a little over a week ago, and had NEVER even been written up for " attendence" problems, let a lone being fired. I didnt know you didnt HAVE to sign that paper before, becuase I totally didnt agree that I had that many latensses from lunch and work. And the worst thing is, on job applications, you have to put that you have been fired, and then that makes it look like youre an irresponsible sh*t. Stil waiting to hear from several people, waiting on second interviews. ITs frustrating, I know. And even though I liked the compnay I worked for, Im finding that I am building up a strong hate towards that company, for firing me, and making me have to go out and look for new jobs, and tell prospective employees taht I have been fired, for ATTENDANCE problems! Sorry, had to throw in my own personal rant, since no one responded to when I posted that I got fired. But Jamie, I hope everything works out ofr you, I hear ya on finsishing school and getting a career.

I agree with cindy, my neice works at applebees and we went in there and she was very upset and had been crying,she said some people were mad because thier food to to long,which wasnt her fault and she was not fired.so maybe it did have something to do with the girl who was bossy and didnt like you,because if it was the first complaint from a customer they just used it for an excuse to get rid of you.so you dont want to work there they suck.

lipglossboost

I recently worked for a manager like the one you are describing. He couldn't care less about any of the employees, and everyone was dispensable to him, training costs or no training costs. There is now a class-action suit against the company.

All I can say is that I was fired from there, (along with many others,) and I had to hold back the laughter. I have never been so happy to put something behind me. I nearly ran out of there!

*hugs*

Getting fired sucks, but remember this ... wasting any more time on that company will only end in future hurt. Good luck, sweetie.

~Lexi