"We're still looking" job applicant rejection

NoMagicBullet

The last job I applied and interviewed (2 interviews) for, I got a rejection that basically said, "Thanks for applying, but we're still searching for someone to fill the position."

At first I was just disappointed at the rejection, but then I realized -- there were other applicants that went through just as many interviews as I did. They didn't select anyone? Or did they select someone, but not own up to it and say "Thank you, but we selected another candidate for the position"?

I didn't think it was the latter, until a friend of mine got a similar response from an entirely different employer on her job application.

It's pretty much a given that all but one of applicants for a job are not going to be hired, so is there any reason to say "we're still looking" if they're not looking? Most application rejections I've gotten were "we selected someone else" and that's logical and reasonable.

Can anyone shed some light on this "we're still looking" phenomenon? Have you or someone you know gotten a "we're still looking" response? Is there anyone in HR or doing hiring that would like to comment?

Maybe nobody was good enough? That's the worst type of rejection imo - if somebody else was a better candidate I could handle it, but it's hurtful when there's absolutely no competition and they still don't want you :(

It could be many things:

1) like a member of the interviewers bought up a good point on not hiring you

2) someone better came along

3) an/the internal candidate came forward

4) the interviewee made it to the interview but is not a right fit

5) it is one of those jobs with no openings or perpetual hirings

Lauriebell82
Maybe nobody was good enough? That's the worst type of rejection imo - if somebody else was a better candidate I could handle it, but it's hurtful when there's absolutely no competition and they still don't want you :(

Yes, these would be my thoughts as well. Maybe the company didn't find anyone they were looking for and are going to continue to interview people until they do. I agree, that this is the most hurtful rejection.

Star Gazer

Just like dating, why should they settle for less than what they're looking for?

I feel you. About a year ago I was up for a dream job and all seemed to be progressing. People close to the decision maker telling me I was a lock,three amazing interviews and finally an informal oreintation of my role,perks and benifits. I was so excited that I could not sleep. Then...I get the "we are going to interview another round of candidates but you were great" voicemail.

I was then ignored when I tried to reach the hiring manager for an explanation. Like alchohol in a deep wound. I then saw who they hired. I was way more qualified. The only thing I could come up with is that I was too expensive and they got this person for less than the salary requirement we discussed.

You win some...you loose some.