My situation is not unique. I work in a large office. Prior to my current position, I served an internal client in a marketing communications capacity. She was difficult to work with and has a reputation as such. Her expectations are often unrealistic and she just has a way about her - subtle criticism, finger-pointing, aloof etc. People have pointed out that her treatment of me is uniquely condescending. And of course I've developed a crush on her which is annoying and hopeless b/c: a.) she is always on my mind lately; b.) she is in another relationship outside of work; c.) If I approach her and ask her for plans and she is not receptive (which is the likely case), I could get myself in "hot water" so to speak.

She happens to be intelligent, attractive and accomplished. I'm wise enough to know that people's workstyles are not a true reflection of their personalities. At work, we are supervised, evaluated and under pressure and this affects us all differently. I'd really like to get to know her despite her treatment of me

Is there anything I can do to harmlessly convey that I'm interested in her? Or find out if she is interested in me?

Or is that risky? Is it better to simply give myself time for this crush to deflate and move on?

• Author

She is a co-worker.

Also considered an internal client, b/c my department essentially support her's. But she doesn't supervise me.

I say go for it. I mean, what the hell? Right? Get it out of your system, at least. Maybe she picks on you cuz she likes you 2. That's how they used to do it in school, anyways. But you have to play it, if you know what I mean. Just don't drop a bomb on her and ask her out for dinner out of the blue. Try to get a feel for her frequency and tune in. If she turns you down then so be it. But don't get your hopes up. She does sound kinda bitchy, and this may be one hot potato you don't wanna touch.