how to deal with this?

I moved area in January for a new job. In terms of the work it's been a really good move, I'm starting at the bottom but there is a clear career path and I'm enjoying it so far.

In terms of the overall move I'm not so happy. I am a fairly outgoing person, I have met some good people and been getting involved in sports etc. But my gut instinct is that I won't be here for the long-term, and have been feeling this way for a couple of weeks now. I just don't feel as though I fit in, it's the type of town where everybody knows everybody.

I love where I come from and miss the people, I wouldn't have moved if I got this opportunity nearby. I'm not going to just give up, I'm not desperately lonely or anything. But I'm thinking that in a few months time I'm going to start applying for similar work near my hometown, and am hoping with some experience I'll get something.

The problem is that I don't want to let my new boss down. He is an old friend of the family and I really appreciate him giving me the chance. When the time comes I'm not sure how to approach him, and am worried about his reaction.

Any advice?

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly what you just said, just tell him what you just said in your post! You should not be somewhere you don't feel comfortable out of obligation. If this friend of the family is really a friend, he will understand. I think it is a good idea for you to hang in there for a while to show him at least that you did appreciate what was offered. Your smart to do this, it will show you made an effort and did not quit. Besides you never know - you may need that friend for a reference someday, so stay with your idea it's a good one I would have fun playing sports with those new friends and try to settle in for a while while you map out your future, and hang onto those friends too, those are the kind that have the same thoughts and dreams as you. Have you been able to discuss any of your future with your new friends? I say it's worth a try. Good Luck to you - really :)

Don't think you could hang in there until January? Give the position (and place) a full year?