Does accepting more responsibilities really keep you employed in 2011?

I was recently asked would I mind taking on some more responsibilities and I said No because it will be tough to beat deadlines. And then I thought to myself I better say yes and learn how to get more things done with less time so I can continue to stay employed. The old me would have said no but being older and realizing how hard it is to find jobs I decided to make it work.

Do you agree?

Realistically the answer is no. Its a common ruse in the business world to crack the whip and intimate staff that if they work harder, they get to keep their jobs. Your job is just as replaceable as the next. No offense to whatever extra measures you take to secure it, the boss can fire at will. So at will means what it means....

I do go beyond in certain matters to be a team player but I no longer beat myself to tiring nights just to get the boss's attention that I went the extra mile. Seen far to many folks in my job field get canned that worked extended hours and put forth personal efforts to exceed expectations, only to be told, we have to down size....