Misunderstandings in a group?

I am currently working on a group project and for our presentation we are filming our parts.

One of our group members volunteered her camera and a large portion of her time to the project. But now she is angry at us because she feels that she had to do most of the work.

I tried explaining to her that she is the one who volunteered her camera and her editing skills – in a project like this the person who volunteers their equipment ends up doing most the work because it is their equipment that we are using.

I told her very politely that next time she shouldn't volunteer her equipment for a group project because she will end up doing most of the work. But she is still angry – how do I solve this problem.

Ok, she volunteered her equipment, but that doesn't mean (as you can tell by her reaction) that she assumed that most of the editing and filming would be on her. That should've been addressed and discussed ahead of time. If you are the group leader, it is your job to think through all the steps involved beforehand and make sure everyone is doing their fair share.

Giving her smartass comments now on how she should have known she would be the one ending up with all the work will piss her off even more. That wont lift her spirits. And understandably so. In fact, she may have volunteered her camera stuff in order to AVOID getting any other assignments. Either way, communication and planning is key in a group project, and it's the project manager's responsibility to communicate clearly.

• Author
Ok, she volunteered her equipment, but that doesn't mean (as you can tell by her reaction) that she assumed that most of the editing and filming would be on her. That should've been addressed and discussed ahead of time. If you are the group leader, it is your job to think through all the steps involved beforehand and make sure everyone is doing their fair share.

Giving her smartass comments now on how she should have known she would be the one ending up with all the work will piss her off even more. That wont lift her spirits. And understandably so. In fact, she may have volunteered her camera stuff in order to AVOID getting any other assignments. Either way, communication and planning is key in a group project, and it's the project manager's responsibility to communicate clearly.

Our group does not have a leader

The girl volunteered to do all the filming and the editing - her only request was that she did want to be in the actual video, and her request was met.

Now she is angry because according to her I did not make the editing process easier for her, and she wrote a very angry email to me to complain about the amount she had to do. After which I explained to her very politely that she was the one who volunteered to do it.