I'm not even being INTERVIEWED!!!

Lauriebell82

As a lot of you know, my husband and I are moving across the state. We are moving to a town about 3 1/2 hours away from where we live now. I began applying to various jobs about 2 1/2 weeks ago and have heard NOTHING. ZIP. I called some of these jobs and they told me they received my resume, are reviewing it, and will contact me if I meet qualifications. I don't understand. When I was unemployed I got interview after interview (15 to be exact) and I didn't even have a job! I would apply and they would call me for an interview 2 or 3 days later.

Do you think it's the distance? In my cover letter I explained why I am looking for a job, I just don't understand...

Probably most people would tell you not to lie, but what the hell. Do you already know where you'll be living, or have family members in the area? Use one of those addresses on your resume.

Of course, geography might not be the reason you're not getting phone calls. Could be a different job market situation there.

• Author
Lauriebell82
Probably most people would tell you not to lie, but what the hell. Do you already know where you'll be living, or have family members in the area? Use one of those addresses on your resume.

Of course, geography might not be the reason you're not getting phone calls. Could be a different job market situation there.

Thank you for your response. Yeah, I thought about doing that, my in laws live out there. But my resume says that I work at a company that is very well known on this side of the state, so wouldn't they think that was odd? Of maybe they wouldn't make the connection? I guess I could just try it?

Thank you for your response. Yeah, I thought about doing that, my in laws live out there. But my resume says that I work at a company that is very well known on this side of the state, so wouldn't they think that was odd? Of maybe they wouldn't make the connection? I guess I could just try it?

In my experience, people don't look closely at resumes, and barely glance at cover letters.

What if you listed a temporary (current) address and a permanent address (in-laws')?

• Author
Lauriebell82

What about just taking the address off completely? (at least on the resume/cover letter?) Then at least I'll potentially get an interview and can tell them I'm about to move. What do you guys think?

• Author
Lauriebell82
Then how will they contact you?

My phone number and email is on there, that's usually the way I get contacted for jobs anyway. I think I got mailed something one time after I sent in my resume, it was just a form postcard saying they received my resume.

What about just taking the address off completely? (at least on the resume/cover letter?) Then at least I'll potentially get an interview and can tell them I'm about to move. What do you guys think?

LB, I really wanted to move to Toronto when I was looking for jobs, and no one called me because my address was too far away. I eventually took my address off my resume and the calls started pouring in.

You can address the logistics of the move in your interview.

Resume's can also get lost in the shuffle- I sent a resume into a company MONTHS prior to getting a call- and I fit the experience and criteria to a Tee. When my now boss finally called and gave me the interview, she was so apologetic that my resume has been lost in the shuffle.

Just be patient, and it's okay to take your address off of your resume.

The resume that got me my job only had my name, e-mail and cell number on it.

• Author
Lauriebell82
LB, I really wanted to move to Toronto when I was looking for jobs, and no one called me because my address was too far away. I eventually took my address off my resume and the calls started pouring in.

Resume's can also get lost in the shuffle- I sent a resume into a company MONTHS prior to getting a call- and I fit the experience and criteria to a Tee. When my now boss finally called and gave me the interview, she was so apologetic that my resume has been lost in the shuffle.

Just be patient, and it's okay to take your address off of your resume.

The resume that got me my job only had my name, e-mail and cell number on it.

Thanks D-Lish! I applied to a few more places without my address on it. I also noticed that my resume is saved on a career website under my current city's preferences, therefore employers in the new town aren't searching for me. I changed all my preferences, so hopefully I will begin getting more calls.

It could be as simple as that my resume got lost in the shuffle, however I have applied for 12 different jobs in the past 3 weeks and have not heard one word, so that makes me think it is something else. I have never had problems getting interviews before. My dad also commented that since I am in social services, employers probably don't want to hire someone out of town because it's easier to find someone local with the same exact qualifications. I hope this works!

I agree with D-lish.. and yes it is the address/distance on your resume causing the non interview issue.

You get culled out of the potentials from the get go.

• Author
Lauriebell82
I agree with D-lish.. and yes it is the address/distance on your resume causing the non interview issue.

You get culled out of the potentials from the get go.

Some of these jobs I really want and would be good at, should I resend my resume without my address on them? Would they notice or make the connection?

Some of these jobs I really want and would be good at, should I resend my resume without my address on them? Would they notice or make the connection?

It certainly won't hurt to resend it in a few days or so..

I do think they might make the connection but if it gets you the interview who cares..

As a lot of you know, my husband and I are moving across the state. We are moving to a town about 3 1/2 hours away from where we live now. I began applying to various jobs about 2 1/2 weeks ago and have heard NOTHING. ZIP. I called some of these jobs and they told me they received my resume, are reviewing it, and will contact me if I meet qualifications. I don't understand. When I was unemployed I got interview after interview (15 to be exact) and I didn't even have a job! I would apply and they would call me for an interview 2 or 3 days later.

Do you think it's the distance? In my cover letter I explained why I am looking for a job, I just don't understand...

Well, depending on the type of job it is, 2 1/2 weeks might not be enough time for them to process and 'digest' all of the applicants' information. I wouldn't worry about it; just keep doing what you're doing now. Send out resumes. Contact them. Even show up at their doorstep if you must (people always appreciate someone who is willing to make the effort to see and be seen).

I would not lie or make up facts about yourself -- that can be devastating if the right people find out that you've made up facts. I *would* state in a cover letter that you're relocating, and I would probably do that in the first sentence or two. If you're emailing them, you can even include a brief message in the email message itself, telling them that you are relocating and that you're interested in a job.

Edited by Fugu
  • Author
Lauriebell82

I got an interview!!!!! It's for a substance abuse outpatient counselor (perfect for me!) which I applied to 2 weeks ago! I guess maybe it will just take time! YAY!!!!! :D

Just a thought...

In my cover letter 101 courses (which were relevant for another field than yours), they kind of advised us to leave personal reasons out of the cover letter, and to focus instead of professional reasons.

So I'm wondering if including the reason why you're moving isn't actually detrimental in this case. The "spiffed up" reason could be that you're looking to expand your knowledge of the field and you think XYZ agency is the ideal space for you. Or this:

Some of these jobs I really want and would be good at,

Just make sure you focus on saying your primary reason for applying is because it's the ideal place for you, (and you're a great match for them), not because you're moving to the town. At most, what you do is state you're moving to this location, without any need for explaining why.

I got an interview!!!!! It's for a substance abuse outpatient counselor (perfect for me!) which I applied to 2 weeks ago! I guess maybe it will just take time! YAY!!!!! :D

Hurray! :bunny::bunny:

Edited by Kamille
Thanks D-Lish! I applied to a few more places without my address on it. I also noticed that my resume is saved on a career website under my current city's preferences, therefore employers in the new town aren't searching for me. I changed all my preferences, so hopefully I will begin getting more calls.

It could be as simple as that my resume got lost in the shuffle, however I have applied for 12 different jobs in the past 3 weeks and have not heard one word, so that makes me think it is something else. I have never had problems getting interviews before. My dad also commented that since I am in social services, employers probably don't want to hire someone out of town because it's easier to find someone local with the same exact qualifications. I hope this works!

Have you been to the target area and started to network or do informational interviews? People are more open when you network and are not in an interview environment.

I recently did that and got numerous contacts.

It does not hurt to have multiple versions of your resume.

I had a friend who got an PO Box in the targetted area so she could get a job. Granted she also knew the contacts from her school.

may be i am wrongf,but i hope you can give me a opportunity !!especially the board administator!! if i do not get this message successfully i will be fired!!i need money to keep my mother!!!!

3x!!!!!3x!!!!!

<a target="_new" rel="nofollow" href=" http://www.goodgoodschina.com/categories/wedding-dresses/maternity-wedding-gowns">maternity-wedding-gowns</a>

maternity gowns for wedding

TheLoneSock

Where I work we are expanding and going through a hiring process. My supervisors talk to us (the team) about the progress and they say right now the resumes that are coming across their desks are simply inadequate and not up to par, and they are getting LOTS of them. It's a simple fact that when the economy is like this, employers in nearly every field have their pick of the litter. I know, because it took me almost 6 months to switch jobs to my current one. Why am I telling you this? To re-iterate what D-Lish has said.

You are a fish swimming very hard, upstream in the current, among many, many other fish. It's not going to be easy to get caught, but that doesn't mean you are not qualified. It just means that what ever fisherman you are trying to get the attention of, they either aren't smart enough to grab you, or they have their hands full with lesser fishies. :D It won't happen quick but when it does it will be worth it. I hope that all makes sense.