Quiting retail...what do you think?

I started a retail job as a supposed sales person at the beginning of August. Anyways, for the job I had to buy their clothes to wear to the job, work only 4hours a week and while working all I would do it shipment in the back room and not even do sales. So, on Sunday with the long talk to my mom, I decided to quit. Now, normally I would not do this. But with getting 4 hours a week, having to buy clothes, working with very very unpleasent people and working all the time in the back room doing shipment when I would work the 4 hours a week was just pissing me off. I have another job, but figured with this retail job and being a supposed sales person it would help me for when I eventual get into my field. So, was I completly stupid for quiting? I should have given 2 weeks, but I could not deal with any of the bull**** any longer. Let me know what you think. Thank you.

• Author

Tony: I can really say that I don't know what makes me happy. Not sure if I did the right thing or not, but really could not deal with what I was doing because I was not getting the hours or doing sales.

VASH THE STAMPEDE

You made a good choice quitting.Life is short to get stuck in a job you dont like for 4 hours a week(man that crappy) 4.5 would be sufficient for me. lol

That's just plain weird. Why would they make you buy clothes if customers won't be seeing you in them? If their shipping department is anything like other shipping departments that I've seen then customers don't usually see those folks. Sounds like they misled you in some way. Sales has nothing in common with shipping except that they both start with the letter S. Personally speaking, I would have spoken with the person who hired you and inquired why you were misled. Something about this just sounds unethical.

• Author

I don't understand what is so weird about it. I was hired to do sales. Yes, they wanted all their employees to buy the clothes if you are going to do sales and even if you are not doing sales and you are in the back room doing shipment. Customers would only see me if I would go out on the floor to bring something out or whatever it may be. But, majority of the time I was in the shipment, or in the back doing shipment while all the other people except for one or 2 other girls who would be doing shipment with me. I could not do it anymore. What is the point of wasting 4 hours a week for the messly amount of money that they gave to me? Plus, I never did what I applied there as wanting to do. Now, the only way you can get more hours is if you sell, but I never had the opportunity to do so. So, when I called on Sunday and told one of the managers that I was quiting, I told her that 4 hours a week is not going to cut it when you have school loans to pay for and I don't even do what I applied their as doing to try to get more hours. So, thats it. I just don't know if I should include this on my resume or what. Thanks for everyones advice.