Worried I've sabotaged my job

Funny thing is, I think I did, unconciously, because I've been wanting to get out, I work for the council in a very hierarchical, rigid, rules-enforced environment which is corrupt, rules are changed to suit people, nobody knows the correct procedures because nobody can train them, everybody hates their job, nobody likes it, we are busy and pressured

Anyhow today I sent an email with my boss copied in, explaining to somebody from another department ( social work ) that something had been missed because nobody had been available to cover and nobody phoned about it and chased it from the team

I got an angry sounding email back from my manager, saying I was INCORRECT in capital letters and my boss later said she was "very disappointed in me"

My colleague says it's because I've made the whole team look bad to everyone and I should expect a severe reprimand tomorrow! Yikes - I've never been very adept at behaving and keeping up with office politics

Anyone advise upon this, I'm worried I'll get the sack!!!

Thanks so much in advance

laRubiaBonita

i would suggest you fein ignorance.... seems to work for all the stupid people that get to keep there jobs.

seriously though, i hope everything goes ok.

Edited by laRubiaBonita

It's possible you'll get the sack, if you were referring to your team not doing something they should have. On the other hand, it's more likely you'll get a reprimand or warning. I think your argument (put nicely not in an unpleasant, argumentative way) should be that you were feeling frustrated that you couldn't help the customer and hadn't realised that what you said might imply the team was at fault. Apologise. This is if you want to keep your job.

Listen to your boss. If she/has has good reasons why the team couldn't help in that instance, then acknowledge them and be understanding. You may want to make a point while offering an apology for an inappropriate way of bringing things to the attention of your boss. Ideally, you should have talked to him/her first about the problems rather than doing it this way. If you want to keep your job, emphasise how you want to do a good job, provide a good service, blah, blah. That way they will see you as frustrated you couldn't help rather than deliberately being nasty about your team. It is one of the cardinal sins of any business, organisation, team, to suggest they are incompetent or not doing their job in a public way.

Also, be mindful that emails can be copied and stolen. Never write anything in an email that would embarrass you or others if it were made public.

Be mindful that you boss has a difficult job, keeping this team going, getting them to do what's necessary. They may be dealing with difficult characters - you don't want to be one of them. Emphasise how you want to help your boss where possible and that the reputation of the team matters to you. Hopefully, this will come across as positive rather than negative. If you hate your job that much, you could look around or try to retrain for something else - easier said than done in this economic environment, I know. Good luck!

whichwayisup
Funny thing is, I think I did, unconciously, because I've been wanting to get out

I'm worried I'll get the sack!!!

So you think you may have done it subconsciously, but you do want to leave your job, at the same time you're worried?

Maybe you wanted to quit, not get fired. Leave on your own terms..

Anyway, it was a mistake, just tell them that. Apologize, say it'll never happen again and work hard to focus on work stuff and not get caught up in the crap that goes on around you.

Email is dangerous at work. Once you hit send, you can't unsay what has been said. Anything sensitive has to be said face-to-face.

I Really Dont Know

Quit and come work for me when I run my own business (which is never)

I'll deal with it myself and realize you are just an employee and expect employees to mess up. I'm the manager, it's my job to clear things up. Then I'd sit with you and explain next time just consult with me first ;)

Your manager is a d**k.

*edit.. j/k... don't quit. :)