How does one get higher in a department?

jean-luc sisko

I work in a department with five managers. Most are over 50, and obviously looking towards retirement. Most of the junior members, including myself, are 20s and early 30s at the earliest. Not to blow my own trumpet, but I think I have proven myself as one of the better performers amongst the junior members. As the managers are on the road to retirement, how do I enable myself to be seen to succeed them?

Norville_Rogers

One thing that I've learned is it's not what you know...but who you know. You're way ahead of the curve if you feel that you've put yourself in position to be a successor. I don't know if it's possible...but if you could network with the soon to be retirees, it might help. So that when they are asked for their recommendation....your name comes to mind. I'm not saying brown-nose. I'm saying network. Be professional. Let them know who and why you are deserving of a promotion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
jean-luc sisko

I agree that the path to enhancement is contacts, it's how life works really. I know that all of the managers know I can do good work, and even some of the managers in other departments now this also. I guess I can build on this and see where it leads me.

I work in a department with five managers. Most are over 50, and obviously looking towards retirement. Most of the junior members, including myself, are 20s and early 30s at the earliest. Not to blow my own trumpet, but I think I have proven myself as one of the better performers amongst the junior members. As the managers are on the road to retirement, how do I enable myself to be seen to succeed them?

Agree about getting to know the seniors but I have a suggestion on how to do it. Ask them if there are any additional projects they need help with. Volunteer to help them with some of their responsibilities.

If you are already trained to perform some of their tasks it will make you a much more natural fit when it comes time to select someone for that role.