i applied for a job through a company's website about a week ago. today i got an email "reminding" me of an interview tomorrow and asking me to confirm that i was able to go.

"This e-mail is a reminder that you are scheduled for an initial interview tomorrow. Our office is located at XXXXX.

The phone number is XXXXX.

If there is any reason you cannot make it, please let us know as soon as possible. I would appreciate it if you would reconfirm your attendance by responding to this message.

I look forward to meeting you. "

this is the first i've heard from these people. i looked up the name, address, and phone number from the email and it all checks out. the email seems legit, but i never talked to anyone to arrange an interview. i've emailed the person back telling them all of this. i'm really interested in this job but i'm working full time at another job right now and live 4 hours from the city in which this business is located (all of which i was honest about on my application) so obviously i cannot just show up to an interview with 12 hours notice. should i call them early tomorrow morning? is this likely a mistake?

desertIslandCactus

Naturally your current job (and security) come first.

Call and ask if you can reschedule the appointment.. And hopefully at the same time they would answer any of your questions regarding the job.

Would you be able to work a job 4 hrs away, or do they have a closer branch - or is it a sales job, where you wouldn't have to report in often..

• Author
Naturally your current job (and security) come first.

Call and ask if you can reschedule the appointment.. And hopefully at the same time they would answer any of your questions regarding the job.

Would you be able to work a job 4 hrs away, or do they have a closer branch - or is it a sales job, where you wouldn't have to report in often..

well i would like to live in the city in which the job is offered. i have been researching and visiting places for about a year now trying to determine where i want to live and this city is one of my top choices. my job now isn't really challenging me and doesn't pay me well enough so as soon as i was offered something better i would definitely take it and move there. the issue is just that from the tone of the email it seems implied that i have already agreed to set up an interview tomorrow when i have not even talked to anyone! i dont even know what time it is supposed to be scheduled for. i dont want to do anything to ruin my chances and im thinking that they may have made an error so im not sure how to approach this.

desertIslandCactus

Tell them you are very interested in the position and their company, but you need to reschedule the appointment and give your employer more notice that you will not be in.

I would think the rescheduling will be more acceptable to them, knowing you have an important committment.

I was in the middle of a big move once. A harried impatient woman called me and told me my interview had to happen immediately .. I wanted the job - thought it would lead to good things.. Got all dressed up, walked out on my movers - got the job. Big Big - Big Mistake!! Movers stole from me .. and it turned out to be a junk job .. Don't remember how long I stayed with them - but it wasn't long..

• Author
Tell them you are very interested in the position and their company, but you need to reschedule the appointment and give your employer more notice that you will not be in.

I would think the rescheduling will be more acceptable to them, knowing you have an important committment.

I was in the middle of a big move once. A harried impatient woman called me and told me my interview had to happen immediately .. I wanted the job - thought it would lead to good things.. Got all dressed up, walked out on my movers - got the job. Big Big - Big Mistake!! Movers stole from me .. and it turned out to be a junk job .. Don't remember how long I stayed with them - but it wasn't long..

thanks for putting things in perspective a bit. i do have a tendency to act the same way and rush to get things done when they may not even be in my best interest.

desertIslandCactus
thanks for putting things in perspective a bit. i do have a tendency to act the same way and rush to get things done when they may not even be in my best interest.

Tell them the truth about the reason for rescheduling.

Sometimes I think someone in a job, can be more attractive to a potential employer - than one who has been unemployed for months.

i applied for a job through a company's website about a week ago. today i got an email "reminding" me of an interview tomorrow and asking me to confirm that i was able to go.

"This e-mail is a reminder that you are scheduled for an initial interview tomorrow. Our office is located at XXXXX.

The phone number is XXXXX.

If there is any reason you cannot make it, please let us know as soon as possible. I would appreciate it if you would reconfirm your attendance by responding to this message.

I look forward to meeting you. "

this is the first i've heard from these people. i looked up the name, address, and phone number from the email and it all checks out. the email seems legit, but i never talked to anyone to arrange an interview. i've emailed the person back telling them all of this. i'm really interested in this job but i'm working full time at another job right now and live 4 hours from the city in which this business is located (all of which i was honest about on my application) so obviously i cannot just show up to an interview with 12 hours notice. should i call them early tomorrow morning? is this likely a mistake?

My immediate reaction is that if this is for real, they sound unprofessional and it raises a red flag. You don't send a 'reminder email' for an interview with 12 hours' notice when they've never been in touch with you before. I think by re-scheduling, you are doing the professional thing - i.e. putting your responsibilities to your current employer first - that's presumably what they would want from their employees. Maybe it's down to a simple mistake on their part, someone forgot to send an email or something. Call them and find out.

My immediate reaction is that if this is for real, they sound unprofessional and it raises a red flag. You don't send a 'reminder email' for an interview with 12 hours' notice when they've never been in touch with you before. I think by re-scheduling, you are doing the professional thing - i.e. putting your responsibilities to your current employer first - that's presumably what they would want from their employees. Maybe it's down to a simple mistake on their part, someone forgot to send an email or something. Call them and find out.

Yeah, I agree with this. But maybe it was just a simple scheduling mistake, that someone was supposed to email/call you to schedule an interview and it just didn't happen or fell through. Mistakes happen. I would give them the benefit of the doubt.

Call the HR office of the company and explain the situation and that you did not recieve prior notice to this, therefore need to reschedule. I'm sure they will understand.

• 4 weeks later...

Interview means questioning regarding that particular stream of that company. By interview the higher authority take decision that the person is capable for that particular work or not.

Totally agree with this statement...