Didn't snag that promotion

Sorry, I'm just ranting and need some encouragement. Based on my experience and work quality, I'm more than qualified for a promotion. But I approached my boss on Friday to ask if I could have a promotion and she told me that it's not on her agenda right now. She said she would consider it after I'm with the company for at least one year, that will be next march. I told myself to prepare for the worst but I'm still very much affected. I even dreamt about the rejection last night.

She didn't reject you.. She told you it wasn't on her agenda and told you you needed to be there a year..

All she did was define the parameters for you some what..

Sorry it didn't go the way you wanted it to..

In March when she wants to hear you on the promotion remember to show off what you have done for the company in the past and the most important part is to show them what you will do for them in the future if you get the promotion.

Getting a promotion sometimes is selling yourself.. Show them why you should get it, why they can benefit from promoting you and most likely you will get it...

jean-luc sisko

You said you've been there a year, right?

Your boss probably thinks it's too early for a promotion. Besides, she has probably noted that your work is good, but you also need to highlight that to her when needs be.

I'd suggest to keep a record of your accomplishments thus far, and when the year is up, use this as leverage for a promotion. In the interim, you can also speak to your manager, and state that you are looking to grow in the organisation and improve.

• Author

Thank you all. Right now I'm a little unmotivated to work. I feel that the promotion shouldn't be a big deal to my boss - it's only from a senior executive to assistant manager, not director, not even a manager. I also have a timeline to meet. I have to quit my company next July to join my fiance overseas.