Contribution and compensation

creighton0123

My problem has to do with sustaining dedication in the workplace in an environment that seems so contrary to where I am in life.

For the last four years (post graduate degree), I've found myself settling for positions that I enjoy, but are very much below my technical skill set and paygrade. Despite that, I really enjoy going to work.

However, I'm not sure if I have any reason to be concerned in my current employ.

After I finished my degree, I started working for a fortune 500. My work required complex analysis of C++ designed embedded systems and required form 86 secret security clearance given the software I was working on. Concern for job security pushed me to leave that position (for fear of being laid off) and accepting a position as a services developer for a small (< $30 million) company.

I've been in that job for a year and a half now and there has been zero discussion about increased compensation (pay raise). While the company is doing quite well, things are tight and I don't know how to respond to that. Due to life circumstance and the distance of my commute, I'm finding it harder and harder to make ends meet financially.

I also have no idea how things work with small companies since compensation was always pretty clear and automated in my previous workplace.

Any advice on how to proceed? My first line manager and I get along so very well. I manage an impersonal, albeit friendly relationship with the company's founder and CEO and a number of partners. I do, however, have concerns and any feedback will be brilliant:

1. On a team of 10, I am the youngest person on the team and have the longest commute.

2. In the entire company, I am the youngest employee and have the longest commute.

3. Out of my entire team, I am the only one who keeps a different schedule. Because I have to endure urban traffic in the morning to get to work, I've agreed to work from 9:30AM to 5:30PM, but am always there until 6 or 6:30. Everyone else is able to drive to the office in less than 20 minutes and is there between 8 and 9, leaving around 5.

4. Without being cocky, I am a top contributor, working on more complex projects, achieving all of my deadlines, and acquiring the most billable hours. My skill set is also extremely wide and my communication skills are solid.

5. Clients love working with me. Until recently I haven't received any complaints, but have a few negative points of feedback from clients because of unavailability due to workload (We are exceptionally busy right now and everyone is experiencing this).

Compared to other employees, there are only a few differences:

1. Most are suburbanites with children and families. A significant number of employees have been with the company for 5 years or more. Around 20 employees (out of 125) have been there for 10 years or more.

2. My work style is much different than other employees. Being younger, I dress more like members of our IT staff or support organization. I work faster when left alone and am often juggling a number of projects on multiple systems/monitors with headphones on, listening to loud music as to avoid outside distraction. My typical work personal appearance is designer trim (not clean shaven), clean hair with stylist cut, jeans, casual shoes, and a nice, button down shirt that I wear untucked. Most other employees dress appropriately for their age (sweaters, bland dress shirts, slacks, and dress shoes). We're not a suit and tie company and my role is not client-facing.

3. Out of the entire company, I am one of two LGBT employees. The other employee is an older woman married to another woman with a dog and is perfectly satisfied making what she does. In Massachusetts, I don't see my sexual orientation as an issue and don't often discuss matters of my personal life in the office. In fact, I find other coworkers who often have conversations about their spouses, children, pets, etc. etc. etc. to be distracting.

This was much longer than I intended it to be. Anyone with experience in small companies know how one should proceed if interested in a pay raise after time served?