How to look professional

I have an annoying problem. My colleagues at the university where I recently started working often mistake me for a student.

I try to dress "professionally" but I was wondering if anyone would have any recommendations on how to look more professional, be it through clothes, hairstyle, make-up, attitude, etc.

What are you wearing now? How are you styling yourself?

Always wear nice looking slacks or skirts, never 'pants or jeans', with a blouse and heels or dress flats. If I have an 'adult' meeting I wear a blazer as well. Keep your makeup crisp looking throughout the day and don't go for anything flashy. Hair is really a toss up. The easiest thing I find to do is (this is silly I know) to find an ad that has a professional looking woman who has a style I prefer and go shop that store, buy the outfit in full that I liked and style hair and make up similar to the ad. Lots of stores online now sell complete looks with all the ad ons linked together in the ad.

• Author
What are you wearing now? How are you styling yourself?

I'm currently wearing a mid-calf black pencil skirt, a white shirt and a blazer. I have small heels on. I'm wearing mascara and a bit of eyeshadow. My hair is just below the shoulder, styled (straightened). I had it cut 3 weeks ago. I do wonder if I shouldn't cut it short, but I love it at this lenght.

I have been looking at stores to see what kind of professional look I wanted to build for myself, but find it somewhat challenging. I definitely have to buy more slacks and shirts, and will have the budget to do so next week. Anyone have recommendations as to where to shop? Or any favourite outfits they could link?

I'm currently wearing a mid-calf black pencil skirt, a white shirt and a blazer. I have small heels on. I'm wearing mascara and a bit of eyeshadow. My hair is just below the shoulder, styled (straightened). I had it cut 3 weeks ago. I do wonder if I shouldn't cut it short, but I love it at this lenght.

I have been looking at stores to see what kind of professional look I wanted to build for myself, but find it somewhat challenging. I definitely have to buy more slacks and shirts, and will have the budget to do so next week. Anyone have recommendations as to where to shop? Or any favourite outfits they could link?

Easy and professional is ann taylor:

http://www.anntaylor.com/home.jsp?cid=g_ps&cid=PPC0001

Their slacks and skirts tend to have more movement to the fabric that lend a more 'expensive' or professional feel. They have lots of options that don't look like uniforms.

• Author

I love Ann Taylor - but unfortunately I can't find any store that carries her line in my city here in Canada.

We have: BCBG, Club Monaco, Holt Renfrew, Banana Republic, Mexx. I do like the Elie Tahari stuff at Holt Renfrew but I find it a bit pricey.

I always advise people to buy a few sheath dresses. (see my avatar) You can wear them with a jacket, blazer, and even some sweaters. You can wear flats and then put on heels. Toss on a string of pearls or a scarf and you're a grown up.

Kam, Ann Taylor is a store, not a line you'll find at a department store, etc. You can buy AT stuff online though.

I'm a big fan of Banana, AT, and The Limited for reasonably priced work/professional clothes.

Your outfit sounds great already. I imagine the fabrics might look youthful, or perhaps too fitted? Otherwise, take your youthful appearance as a compliment. :)

I look very young for my age. I dress very professional, I shop at New York & company, I don't know if you have that store where you live. I like that store because they have petite pants and I am 5'2. I wear a lot of button down collared shirts, I feel like they make me look the most professional and older. I also wear nice dress slacks. My patients think I'm like 21 literally (I'm almost 28), even in dress clothes.

I find that button down shirts and nice pants are a good choice if you want to look more professional.

I love Ann Taylor - but unfortunately I can't find any store that carries her line in my city here in Canada.

We have: BCBG, Club Monaco, Holt Renfrew, Banana Republic, Mexx. I do like the Elie Tahari stuff at Holt Renfrew but I find it a bit pricey.

I checked out some of the websites for work clothing and IMHO many of the sites are very trendy and have great clothing style but they are almost transitional from work to out of work pieces. I tend to go for a work wardrobe and an out of work wardrobe. (I work from home so the work pieces don't get wear unless I have a client meet and greet. So my work clothes are always dry cleaned and ready to go.) For my trendy "out of work" wardrobe I wear a lot of Diane Von Furstenberg and Nanette Lepore and live for Paper Cloth Denim and Frankie B jeans. (Did spell those right?) So I love stylish and trendy, but for work I try to keep it classic and clean lines. Sunny's idea of sheath dresses with a jacket and pearls is a great one and won't be mistaken for casual wear.

OP how old are you? Do you look young for your age? If that's the case a quick sit in with a makeup artist and some tips and tricks may be in line.

• Author

I'm in my mid 30s, but am often told I look young for my age (estimates usually range from 7 to 10 years younger). I struggle to identify what exactly is meant by "you look young for your age". I find most women my age physically look like me, so honestly, when I think about it, I feel like my youthful appearance is more a matter of attitude than physical appearance.

I think the "looking young" comments and the "student" misidentification stem from the fact that I might "act young". I'm trying to figure out what that means. I noticed the other day, while recording a phone greeting, that my voice sounds young. It's hard to pin-point, honestly. I believe my attitude has a lot to do with the perception that I'm a student and not a professor. Right now, I mostly feel that the reason my colleagues mistake me for a student is because I fail the "authority" test. Anyone have pointers on how to be more authoritative?

Since attitudinal changes take longer than wardrobe ones, I will start by updating my looks and appearance. I like the idea of going to a professional make-up artists to ask for pointers.

I grew up without a mom so when it was time for me to present myself as a professional woman I had to seek help and it came first in the form of a make up counter consultant but later in much better form from an actual artist who helped me find how to emphasize things to look my age. It only took a couple of hours in lessons (2 hours) and some good product.

I've been nicknamed 'pretty' for years because of my fresh faced look, I honestly think with my curls I look like I'm ready to go hiking with granola most days without make up and I'm 31. (: But with the right make up and dress I look trustworthy, professional and like I know what I'm doing.

Ways to appear more adult usually include standing up straight, stop asking permission and start giving direction, it's okay to ask questions when you need help but when you need to be taken seriously make sure there are no asking phrases that are your habits. You should practice talking with others in a mirror and see how you look doing it and you can watch and adjust your facial queues to fit what your trying to get across.

Oh and it's amazing what the right look can do to make you behave more adult. It's like when you were a kid getting all dressed up for the ballet or whatever.

Feelin Frisky
I'm in my mid 30s, but am often told I look young for my age (estimates usually range from 7 to 10 years younger). I struggle to identify what exactly is meant by "you look young for your age". I find most women my age physically look like me, so honestly, when I think about it, I feel like my youthful appearance is more a matter of attitude than physical appearance.

I think the "looking young" comments and the "student" misidentification stem from the fact that I might "act young". I'm trying to figure out what that means. I noticed the other day, while recording a phone greeting, that my voice sounds young. It's hard to pin-point, honestly. I believe my attitude has a lot to do with the perception that I'm a student and not a professor. Right now, I mostly feel that the reason my colleagues mistake me for a student is because I fail the "authority" test. Anyone have pointers on how to be more authoritative?

Since attitudinal changes take longer than wardrobe ones, I will start by updating my looks and appearance. I like the idea of going to a professional make-up artists to ask for pointers.

Ha. I went back to college at 30 and when I walked in to class for the first time with my brief case and dressed in my work suit, every body sat up like I was the professor. I put my brief case down on the professor's desk and said "hmmm, now what seat shall I choose". Then when I went and sat down among the students I got a funny reaction. Role reversal. I don't think I looked older, I just acted like belonged in charge. :p ETA: I think my height is part of the dynamic of "presence".

Edited by Feelin Frisky
IFor my trendy "out of work" wardrobe I wear a lot of Diane Von Furstenberg and Nanette Lepore and live for Paper Cloth Denim and Frankie B jeans. (Did spell those right?) So I love stylish and trendy, but for work I try to keep it classic and clean lines.

:love:

A classic DVF wrap dress... Ah man, there's nothing better. In a solid color with the right accessories, you'd definitely come across as older than a student, IMO.

• Author

The one caveat to the fantastics look SG is proposing is that... I work in Canada. Winter is a bit too cold for dresses, at least for me.

Afishwithabike

You don't come across as a student if I go just by your written words here. Do you think maybe it's the way you speak? Sometimes young women (and I'm not an old woman by any means! :laugh:), tend to pepper their sentences with certain phrases which are ok as conversation fillers among friends, but don't work as well in a professional setting. "She's like really happy with the new project" instead of saying "she's happy with the project." Same thing with peppering your conversation with "whatever" or "awesome" or "totally." Don't end sentences with a rise in pitch. I see some young women do this. It sounds like their statement is more of a question than a statement. Don't qualify your statement either. Avoid saying things like "this might be a dumb question", "I might be wrong but", or "I think that.." Those don't make you sound confident at all. It's hard to tell on a text based site what you sound like in person so ask a trusted friend if your voice conveys confidence and authority. If not, think of someone woman you know that has authority, and work on emulating her.

If someone says you seem young, say something like "oh that's nice of you to say, but I'm actually xxx and I have a blah blah degree in blah blah."

Make sure professional make-up artists, especially those at large department stores, know you want the make up for work. Some of them slather on the makeup with a trowel and it would be fine for a date, but not work.

The one caveat to the fantastics look SG is proposing is that... I work in Canada. Winter is a bit too cold for dresses, at least for me.

Even with tights and boots? I thought one of your go-to outfits right now is a skirt and kitten heels?

florence of suburbia

I've noticed that women who dress more boldly come off as more assertive and therefore, mature. Examples of this are more intuitive than logical, but very pointy-toed shoes look more assertive than round toes. Heels more assertive than flats. Chunky, bigger jewelry more assertive than modest jewelry. I think it's the idea that if a woman can carry off a bigger, louder look, she must have more gravitas.

Love Elie Tahari! Wait for a Holt's sale. Some are coming up soon!

If you want cheap, try Zara's. Most are pretty trendy and not the most fantastic quality but if you pick and choose, you can put together a jacket, pant and shirt combo that's quite professional.

A way to add to a more tailored look is to buy a larger size for movement sake in difficult areas and then have the rest tailored down so the suit fits you like it was made for you.

Anne Klein's quite reasonable.

As for hair, slick it back into a nape tied ponytail. It will automatically sleek your look.

I look "young for my age" at work too, but I don't work around students, so no problem there.

I think the makeup idea is a good one K, your outfit sounds pretty professional.

Does it really matter if you are being mistaken for a student?

I've noticed that women who dress more boldly come off as more assertive and therefore, mature. Examples of this are more intuitive than logical, but very pointy-toed shoes look more assertive than round toes. Heels more assertive than flats. Chunky, bigger jewelry more assertive than modest jewelry. I think it's the idea that if a woman can carry off a bigger, louder look, she must have more gravitas.

I agree with this. Shoes and jewelry say a lot.

To be honest, I really didn't know a professor's job was one you had to dress up for, as opposed to corporate/customer-front. It's one of the minor reasons I'm aiming for one. :D Most of the profs I know, both male and female, dress in a relatively simple and subdued manner. The most distinguishing factor for them is their age, really - the young ones are also easily mistaken for students. I also know plenty of students who dress in a very sophisticated fashion, more so than profs (probably because they have more time to do so, heh). Possibly the only distinguishing factor in terms of dress that I've noticed, are blazers. Students don't wear them because they look too old/formal, but profs often do.

GolferGirl123
I always advise people to buy a few sheath dresses. (see my avatar) You can wear them with a jacket, blazer, and even some sweaters. You can wear flats and then put on heels. Toss on a string of pearls or a scarf and you're a grown up.

I'm all about the sheath dress - they always look professional, and they're fairly versatile.

creighton0123
I have an annoying problem. My colleagues at the university where I recently started working often mistake me for a student.

I try to dress "professionally" but I was wondering if anyone would have any recommendations on how to look more professional, be it through clothes, hairstyle, make-up, attitude, etc.

Do you have an employee ID or security badge to get in and out of faculty only areas? If you do, wear it on the outside of your clothes. When people walk up to you, they'll see the badge and not mistake you for a student.

Be grateful that you are still confused for being young :-) You sound like you have the professional style down already. Make up for it in excellence and performance.