It's frustrating waiting for a promotion!!!

I was supposed to get promoted in September. Now it is moved to January. I'm about ready to go nuts because I want to get a raise and get better hours. Nobody seems to be in a big rush to move to this bigger unit (except me!) and they keep pushing it back! I bet in January they will have some other excuse for why the unit isn't done. I'm so confused and upset. :mad:

laRubiaBonita

i have been waiting for 7+ years!

when you say move to a bigger unit (hahaha) you mean a larger office area? are they building it?

• Author
i have been waiting for 7+ years!

when you say move to a bigger unit (hahaha) you mean a larger office area? are they building it?

No, I work in a unit of a rehab center. Our unit is expanding and will be moved to another floor of the building, they are finishing construction on it. The job will not be available until the unit is done, because as of right now they do not need the position until the unit is bigger. I know it's not anyone's fault that the construction isn't done, but I'm getting inpatient and ancy.

I'm debating whether or not to try and transfer to another unit internally for the higher paying job or to wait it out. :confused:

• Author
You've only been there since April. Isn't it a little soon to be expecting a promotion?

No, at the interview my supervisor told me that a new position would be opening up when the unit expanded and that if I took the job I could have a shot at it. Then a few weeks ago in a meeting with the other daytime therapists, my supervisor told all of us, that I would be moving up to a daytime therapy position when we move to the new unit and would be splitting the caseload with the other daytime therapists. I'm actually overqualified for my current position and would be promoted to a position in which I am qualified for.

So I know I'm getting it, but the date keeps changing and that's what is frustrating for me.

No, at the interview my supervisor told me that a new position would be opening up when the unit expanded and that if I took the job I could have a shot at it. Then a few weeks ago in a meeting with the other daytime therapists, my supervisor told all of us, that I would be moving up to a daytime therapy position when we move to the new unit and would be splitting the caseload with the other daytime therapists. I'm actually overqualified for my current position and would be promoted to a position in which I am qualified for.

So I know I'm getting it, but the date keeps changing and that's what is frustrating for me.

Until you get the promotion and new position I wouldn't consider it 100%. It does sound like it will happen but it is confusing when it will happen.

If I were you I would look into getting a job you like better that pays more. If you find a job that pays more and sounds better then the one you are suposed to get then just take it. voila.

Try not to drive yourself crazy of this stuff its really stressful to think about

The construction industry has always been a mystery to me, in that they bid on jobs and then rarely make budget, deadlines or promises. Don't know how they can get away with it without being penalized. Many other industries get penalized through SLA's, etc.

Beyond that, much sympathy. It can be frustrating when things are outside of your or even your company's control. And even when the building is finished, if there's a lot of employees to move, there's a lot of planning and delays that happen.

As for a transfer to another department, weigh future gains against both opportunities. If a transfer will get you similar future benefit as the promised job, then there's no reason to hold things up. Future benefit should include the type of job that you want, salary, hours and the possibility for growth. The working environment, management and other employees should also factor into your equation. Do you enjoy your current environment including the people?

I see. I didn't realize it was just a matter of the time of day when you're therapy-ing (made up word - haha!). I figured there was more to the promotion, like advancement to a supervisor or management position. :)

• Author
Do you enjoy your current environment including the people?

Yes, I do. That's why I am waiting for the position to open up. I really love my supervisor and my unit. Coming from a horrid work environment at my old job, I am so happy to work with nice people who treat me well and respect my work. Maybe another unit wouldn't be like that? So that's why I am trying to my best to hang in there, but since the date keeps gettign pushed back I guess I am getting inpatient.

I see. I didn't realize it was just a matter of the time of day when you're therapy-ing (made up word - haha!). I figured there was more to the promotion, like advancement to a supervisor or management position. :)

There are different levels of therapists, with different hours and payscales. Im looking to bump up to a higher level therapist. Upper level positions require a massive amount of experience that I don't have, but the good thing about where I work, is that there is opportunity for advancement to those positions once I do have the experience.

melodymatters

I understand that you are getting "Impatient" and "Antsy" ( sorry, you know I adore you, but even though your masters isn't in English, if you wrote either of these to me in an informal work e-mail, I might tend to be a bit judgemental)

BUT, Jan isn't that far away and it's a JOB, in your FIELD ! I know of many new RN grads that bought the whole " Nurses will never be out of a job" and it turns out in this recession, hospitals don't want to put in the time and money to train new grads.

I would just concentrate on the good things in your life : first christmas with your beloved husband:love:, and then if by spring, it still looks like no movement you can start asking some tougher questions and perhaps, start job shopping !

BTW, I never saw any wedding pics !?!?!?

I was supposed to get promoted in September. Now it is moved to January. I'm about ready to go nuts because I want to get a raise and get better hours. Nobody seems to be in a big rush to move to this bigger unit (except me!) and they keep pushing it back! I bet in January they will have some other excuse for why the unit isn't done. I'm so confused and upset. :mad:

Just be glad you have a job in this economy and not stress over a raise. I want a COLA raise but doesn't look like it happen this year but I have to look at the big picture and be grateful I'm working

• Author

You guys are all right that I should be thankful that I do have a job! Especially it took me so long to find one. I need to keep things in perspective.

BTW, I never saw any wedding pics !?!?!?

I have an album with some pics in my profile. I tried to add some pics from the photographer but it wouldn't let me upload them.

melodymatters

WOW !!!! Totally off topic, but what beautiful pics ! Everything from the cathedral, the venue, the cake, even the bridesmaids dresses and you looked so LOVELY. Not to mention, thats a handsome H you have there, thanks so much for sharing LB !!!! :bunny::love::bunny:

• 3 weeks later...
jean-luc sisko

I think they're playing the fool.

Hold on for a while, since this job/promotion was promised to you. But if it continues, then ask your manager. If he is not forthcoming, then perhaps move to a new company.