New job problem?

So I just started a new job, my dream job. The lady who is orienting me is well respected at work, and has been there many years.

Problem is that I feel like she is teaching me how she does things, not necessarily by the 'rules' of the organization... and I'd like to learn the rules and make my own "shotcuts" (for lack of a better word) based on me and how I will work. Instead of saying, "When you get here in the morning, you need to do this, this and this before the meeting," She just kind of throws me out there, and checks to see if I've done things, not really showing me how to do them.

I don't know how long to go without speaking up... like I said shes respected and I don't want to seem like a complainer... but at the same time I'd like to learn the right way, not necessarily her way.

desertIslandCactus
So I just started a new job, my dream job. The lady who is orienting me is well respected at work, and has been there many years.

Problem is that I feel like she is teaching me how she does things, not necessarily by the 'rules' of the organization... and I'd like to learn the rules and make my own "shotcuts" (for lack of a better word) based on me and how I will work. Instead of saying, "When you get here in the morning, you need to do this, this and this before the meeting," She just kind of throws me out there, and checks to see if I've done things, not really showing me how to do them.

I don't know how long to go without speaking up... like I said shes respected and I don't want to seem like a complainer... but at the same time I'd like to learn the right way, not necessarily her way.

Do as she asks.

After you learn the job, perhaps she will back off and you can gradually slip into your own routine..

I remember on one of my jobs, I was an assistant bookkeeper for the cafeteria .. (It wasn't my 'dream job') .. For some unknown reason, my job description consisted of making the coffee First thing in the morning for the whole district office. I don't even like coffee.. how could I get into Making it .. :rolleyes: .. And I heard about it when I forgot to.. ha

I felt like: Helloooo .. you all has to have yore coffee - then Makes It .. :lmao:

It is always difficult to be a new in any company. New environment, new people, new tasks, new attitude and attention….Perhaps, it is better to follow her rules and, be sure, when you’ll be enough confident you will show yourself and your skills.