Would you sign the get well card?

I just started working at a new place of employment.

A colleague is out on sick leave. My department is circulating a get well card. While I remember briefly meeting her in the departmental part of my interview last spring, I have never officially met her as a colleague. Would you sign the card? What is the proper etiquette here?

Writing this out, I feel like I will sign it - I do wish her well, but I wonder if anyone else has any other input?

It's a work-related card, and your communication is to a colleague in capacity of her being absent form work.

I'd sign it, and add, "I don't know you well, but I wish you well!" or something of that kind....

Yes, I would sign the card with your name (to make your mark) but I wouldn't write any kind of message to her (awkward).

something simple, but sincere: "Sorry to hear you've been ill, hope you bounce back quickly, Kamille"

you address the illness, you wish her well, you let her know who you are ;)

though, if it's something more than a simple sickness (surgery, serious illness like cancer) you might want to switch it up to reflect that.

I remember the same thing happening for a coworker that had tried to stab me in the back and take credit for my work.

Of course I signed it with well wishings, in front of other co-workers. I just didn't put my name next to the comment.

She came back and tried to get pissy about me not signing it. She was told to shut up because they knew I wrote in it. After that, no one lent her cattiness towards me any credibility.

Being nice is always the better option in the work place.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Kamille, I'm sure this is long past by now, but thought I would chime in to say, from a "sick person's" perspective, that I really appreciated that a new hire in my company whom I had only met once sent me a sweet get well message after learning about my cancer surgery.

Building up good relationship karma can only be a good thing, IMO. :)

laRubiaBonita

i would sign it.

i have gotten group work cards before and half the time i never take note of who signed it, but havong a lot of signatures does make it nice.

Sign it! Why not? Even if you just say Sorry to hear that you've been ill, I hope you feel better soon..(insert name) Fact that you don't know the person (yet) doesn't really matter. It's a group work card, so everybody should sign it, out of respect and sympathy for the person sick.