Not motivated or focused for work

I don't know what my problem is. I found this thread about the same situation but it is an old thread

http://www.loveshack.org/forums/t112422/

I have worked very hard to get to the top of this career and the past 7 years or so I have no motivation for it at all anymore.

I feel I do the bare minimum to complete the work I need to do.

This has been more than enough to keep my jobs and be thought of highly until this last contract.

I was fired a couple weeks ago due to taking off too much work related to illness and my son being arrested.

I was pretty happy when HR told me the news.

So a friend calls me who is doing the hiring and I go to an interview which should have been a laydown but my mistake was not realizing 2 other people who didn't know me would be interviewing me. They asked me a bunch of theory questions and hell I don't have all that crap memorized since that isn't what you actually do on the job. Anyway she was talking about when I could start and all this other stuff like I had the job and then a couple hour later she calls me and tells me they didn't like me so I didn't get the job which was ok as I had worked on that project and hated it.:laugh:

My husband and I have a part time business in our spare time and I could be working on our website right now but I am not.

I am nearly 50 and just wish I could retire. I've worked more than 30 years. I think that is enough. My husband makes ok money but not enough for me to quit since I'm the one with the 6 figure income. He has actually enjoyed me being home as I've had time to cook for him and clean up the house properly and I have enjoyed it too.

So where do you go when you are the top of your career and it is just boring? Changing careers seems a bit hard at my age. I thought about web design and graphic design.

I normally work contract so I have been in a variety of shops over the years and they are about the same so doing the same job at a different place would be the same.

I

My husband and I have a part time business in our spare time and I could be working on our website right now but I am not.

So where do you go when you are the top of your career and it is just boring? Changing careers seems a bit hard at my age. I thought about web design and graphic design.

I normally work contract so I have been in a variety of shops over the years and they are about the same so doing the same job at a different place would be the same.

It depends whether your end game is money, happiness or a mixture of both. There is nothing wrong with reinventing yourself and trying to find things you enjoy and then figuring out how to make money doing them. There is virtually nothing in this world that you cannot make money doing, and I mean that. The key is being resourceful enough and ambitious enough to figure out HOW to make that happen.

If you're seeking motivation, consider what your day would feel like if you woke up and did exactly what you wanted . . . and you got paid for it.

I work in financial planning. There are many people I meet who say that they want to "retire." What I've come to learn is that they are really saying "I want to do more things I want to do with my time." And you know what . . . a lot of them still work and are happier because they do what they love.

Now, if you require a 6-figure income, you'll need to be very resourceful, but you do have a part-time business that has a website, so I'm assuming there is some potential for passive income through creative online marketing.

Elance.com is a great source for outsourcing work for a very inexpensive price if you're struggling with ideas.

Good luck.