happy hour with new coworkers

I've been at my new job for about 5 mos now, I like everyone and I think they like me. However, this week our boss invited everyone out to drinks after work. I know this is a good opportunity for me to get to know everyone better, but I really don't want to go. I don't drink at all and by the time the end of the day of arrives, all I want to do is go home and relax. I've also heard that they stay out real late and I need a good amount of sleep to be productive the next day. I know I sound like an old man which is ironic because I'm the only one on my team that graduated high school in the 21st century. Should I suck it up and just go?

desertIslandCactus
I've been at my new job for about 5 mos now, I like everyone and I think they like me. However, this week our boss invited everyone out to drinks after work. I know this is a good opportunity for me to get to know everyone better, but I really don't want to go. I don't drink at all and by the time the end of the day of arrives, all I want to do is go home and relax. I've also heard that they stay out real late and I need a good amount of sleep to be productive the next day. I know I sound like an old man which is ironic because I'm the only one on my team that graduated high school in the 21st century. Should I suck it up and just go?

Since it's a new job you could put in an appearance and leave early.

The last two functions I attended that I dreaded or went because I needed to .. it turned out I was right the first time .. :D But when I think about it .. somehow both events helped me to form a picture for afterwards - or now.

It depends on how they are. Are they socialite types? Or is this like that sort of forced "let's try to have some fun people" type thing??

If it's A), I would either suck it up and go, OR try to be sort of 'friends' with them at the office, but mention - I hate drinking.

Or B) who cares.

I tend to feel the same way as you about work drinks, and I also don't drink alcohol. I sometimes go and sometimes not, but it's the sort of thing where you should probably show your face now and then, and it's often strategic in terms of building alliances in the office that you may need later... although that depends on the nature of your work. But since it's a relatively new job, it's probably smart to go for a while. Plan some kind of get out clause so you can leave relatively early if you want to.

Norville_Rogers
I tend to feel the same way as you about work drinks, and I also don't drink alcohol. I sometimes go and sometimes not, but it's the sort of thing where you should probably show your face now and then, and it's often strategic in terms of building alliances in the office that you may need later... although that depends on the nature of your work. But since it's a relatively new job, it's probably smart to go for a while. Plan some kind of get out clause so you can leave relatively early if you want to.

Good advice. You don't have to drink any alcoholic drinks. Making an appreance would be strategic if, like Denise_xo says, building alliances is something that's needed in the nature of your work. Stop in...say hi...have a laugh or two...and then say you've got to go. Make it a point to talk to each person. You would have done your part of being social enough to warrent being a team player.

I agree that after work drinks are a good way to network and show you are a team player. You don't have to drink in order to participate in these functions.

jean-luc sisko

Yes. For the benefit of appearing social, which is key in the workplace.

Next time, you can say that going out is not for you, and you don't enjoy it much.