Moving down the ladder?

Has anyone intentionally moved down?

It could be for the silliest reasons: Maybe you just don't like the people up there ;P Too stressful. Not what you thought.. etc.

But you end up back in those entry-level type jobs you may have started with 10 years ago or so. (I'm 35..)

What have you done? Decide to start own business? Find a 'better' job? Change industry?

Any potential danger in, say, just taking a few years off with savings and really living like a college student again, random odd jobs, 'social' type of jobs, etc?

Thanks.. I'm just a wee bit worried, that's all. No job.. and I hated my field.

;)

desertIslandCactus

Many years ago when I started real estate .. wasn't getting listings and sales and became very concerned .. So I ducked into the hospital for a night-time admitting job .. Didn't care for the job because I hated learning about and being responsible for insurance..

My supervisors were so nice that the demoted me to PBX (with the Same salary :)) .. I did my needlepoint and had a great time for those hours.

That's my 'war-story' ha

I suggest while you are in the present job, you expand yourself with off-time classes or learning within the same company .. until you get the job you want.

I have a printing company now. So I know from some of my customers that all that's required for the beginning of starting your own company is a Notion .. and business cards ..:)

I hear all the time that the happiest people are those who are doing what they wish - employment-wise.. Think of a product or a creation that you wish to involve yourself with .. it could be something that God has blessed you to do.

I actually just recently saved up money and moved across the country - not to change jobs (although I wouldn't mind doing something else), but to move to a new and more exciting city. I've been unemployed for four months and mostly enjoy it. I probably have enough to live like this for another six months or so, but I'm to the point where I actually would like to start working again. I miss having a routine and coworkers.

I don't hate my field although I would really like to try something else. Except it's easiest for me to find a job doing what I was doing since I have so much experience and jobs are available, and it pays pretty well.

I've decided to just go back to what I was doing until I establish myself more in my new city and figure out what other opportunities there are. If I had more money, I wouldn't mind going back to entry level work AT ALL. Or even just volunteer work!

Bottom line is I'm really really glad I took the leap.

desertIslandCactus
I actually just recently saved up money and moved across the country - not to change jobs (although I wouldn't mind doing something else), but to move to a new and more exciting city. I've been unemployed for four months and mostly enjoy it. I probably have enough to live like this for another six months or so, but I'm to the point where I actually would like to start working again. I miss having a routine and coworkers.

I don't hate my field although I would really like to try something else. Except it's easiest for me to find a job doing what I was doing since I have so much experience and jobs are available, and it pays pretty well.

I've decided to just go back to what I was doing until I establish myself more in my new city and figure out what other opportunities there are. If I had more money, I wouldn't mind going back to entry level work AT ALL. Or even just volunteer work!

Bottom line is I'm really really glad I took the leap.

Did you move to New York City ..

desertIslandCactus
ahahahaha. How'd you guess? :laugh:

I just remembered I should have asked the Other Question ... So you love New York City .. Where did you move From? :)

desertIslandCactus
California. I know, I know. Everyone loves California. Just not me.

I'm happy for you .. I've been in So Calif since 61 (from Denver) .. Miss the seasons.. Haven't been to New York City since I was 13 .. On my back burner that I would love to see the New England states too .. with the right traveling companion.

Nyc .. You are really Blessed that you can relocate anywhere you wish and to still know in your field that you can find employment .. good for you ..

I'm a Northern California native. Needed a little more excitement. Seasons will be interesting.

Well, there are jobs available in my field, fortunately, but the jury's still out as to whether or not I'll get one. ;) I'm not panicking yet though. Enjoying myself way too much still.

desertIslandCactus
I'm a Northern California native. Needed a little more excitement. Seasons will be interesting.

Well, there are jobs available in my field, fortunately, but the jury's still out as to whether or not I'll get one. ;) I'm not panicking yet though. Enjoying myself way too much still.

Sounds like fun :) Try all the usual: Internet, Emp Agencys, Dept Employment, handing out resume w bus card. etc ..