Co-workers that prefer to work with people of the same sexual orientation

I have a gay group leader (nothing against anyone of any sexual orientation) that is more comfortable working and being around male co-workers. He doesn't feel comfortable around me. In normal circumstances, I could care less. But because it's work, it bothers me. I feel it's discrimination against something I have no control over and something that's against me because there's bias involved. He's on some occasions made me feel that he's making certain choices just because he "doesn't like" me or isn't comfortable working with me. So he's not being objective.

He's also temperamental and childish. He only wants things his way so he doesn't have to make difficult decisions but he should have known that being a group leader isn't that. He just wants to clock in and clock out, according to what other co-workers said.

Has anyone had to deal with such a co-worker or boss before? What did you do?

Unless all of your coworkers are also gay, I don't understand why you think he has a preference for his own sexual orientation.

Unless all of your coworkers are also gay, I don't understand why you think he has a preference for his own sexual orientation.

Shes a homophobe.

• Author

Not a homophobe. I realized my title was misleading. I actually meant that he feels comfortable working or around other male co-workers, gay or straight. He's not comfortable around me, a female. Other co-workers have noticed it too, so I'm not making it up trying to be a homophobe (as I've already said in my first post). I get along great with other co-workers, male or female. So this is a headache since he's the group leader.

I should also clarify that although there are also other females in the office, in our group (we all have the same ranks with him being the group leader) I'm the only female.

desertIslandCactus

I hope he doesn't join the military .. If your observations are correct - he is either insecure, or having sexual reasons for whom he chooses to work with.

A challenge for you to be sure .. especially in the current job market .. It seems all you can do is to keep your work of high quality, otherwise he could possibly try to cause discouragement.

• Author

It's definitely a challenge.

I heard it from people that used to work with him in this company and others that he's just like this with women, some more than others. But since he doesn't work directly with other women in the office, it probably doesn't affect them as much as it affects me.

It's awful having to deal with something I can't change. It's causing more stress than is necessary. :sick:

If anyone has any other remedies they might have used before to resolve such situations, please let me know.

desertIslandCactus
It's definitely a challenge.

I heard it from people that used to work with him in this company and others that he's just like this with women, some more than others. But since he doesn't work directly with other women in the office, it probably doesn't affect them as much as it affects me.

It's awful having to deal with something I can't change. It's causing more stress than is necessary. :sick:

If anyone has any other remedies they might have used before to resolve such situations, please let me know.

To everything there is a season?

When I was starting out after my D.. I thought I had to be faithful and take every job that was offered me.. So I did run up against much adversity and those looking down on me ... (God forbid :laugh:) ..

T'make a long story short .. Later on I came into jobs where people were really sweet.

That puts you in a situation to tolerate and keep your work of high standard (there must be those above him) .. and get all experience you can before possibly making a break for it ..

You seem to be going by what your co-workers have said and trying to guess what he's thinking. Why not talk to him and ask him directly if there is any problem?