Discouraged and want to move on

About a year ago a new Vice President was hired for the group I'm a part of. We all report to him directly. The group was leaderless for close to a year so nothing big was going on during that time. Previous to that I reported to someone who I supported with various projects and tasks. I also have some other work I'm responsible for which allows me to interact with various IT development teams in my part of the company. The amount of time this work takes up varies, it can be a lot of time or very little, it depends on the projects which need my input.

The group I'm a part of headed up by the VP is small. There are at least 3 open positions, I think there are a couple more for next year too. Since these positions were announced months ago he's made very little effort to fill them even though they've been on the posting board. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who could interview for them or I would have tried to get them in for an interview.

When the VP started, a coworker in my group had been assisting a AVP in another part of the company for a few months. That continued over the past year until the coworker decided to move over to the AVP's area permanently. This coworker still sits in my area, however. He told me he wasn't getting anything to do from the VP, that's why he left. He also told me on 2 occasions I could move over to his new area if I wanted to (there's serious issues with that like I don't totally trust him which prevent me from doing that). He's also mentioned several times that the VP has all these open positions. That includes the one this coworker just vacated.

I don't get any work from the VP either. He's out a lot at all day meetings at our main office or traveling. It's pretty much like we're on our own. I am a management level employee but I am not a manager or do not have any leadership responsibilities in my position. I try to be proactive but I look to my boss for leadership. I have received very little. The work I'm doing is okay but I'm open for a change. There was a project scheduled earlier this year that would have provided that but it was canceled and I have not heard anything about it being revived. There is another project that I'm expected to contribute toward after the VP gets everyone's buy-in but that's not going well either.

I want to start looking around, but I'm also interested in getting a career assessment. I think with my current situation I've stagnated in my job and want to get some help in how I should move forward. Any time I've indicated interest in getting ahead in my career at work it has gone nowhere (no management interest)

Has anyone here had any experiences with career counselors or coaches? I am wondering if that might be the right approach. My situation is depressing me and if I wait around for something to happen at my job I'm afraid it's only going to get worse.