Dyslexic Dilemma – Law or Accounting?

Hi all,

I just searched for law career forums and found this site – wow! Fantastic! :)

I am currently going back to uni (I have a bachelors and masters in media studies and have worked as a musician, film maker, photographer and teacher, but to be honest, they all pay peanuts! So I have decided to get a ‘real’ job! Lol :) and I am studying a Juris Doctor in Law

Now the questions I am having is that, I have slight dyslexia, and am finding it hard to keep up taking notes and writing at exams, and even though I don’t want a note-taker or a laptop at exams, I did got to the uni counselling services and they have done all sorts of tests on me, and it turns out that I am not dyslexic enough to qualify for a disability, as I still have average reading/writing skills, but they did discover that I am in the top 1% for numerical skills, as well as spatial relations, deciphering codes, finding patterns, etc. – basically any non-verbal or written skill!

So my dilemma is, should I be switching to a career in accounting or something where I can use my natural skills better? Is there a career that actually uses the ability to listen to, remember, and recite back numbers backwards or in ascending order, etc.?!? lol :)

I am happy to continue with law, as I find it interesting, but also worry that I don’t have the vocal confidence that I see a lot of my classmates have , as I am more the quiet, confident type, but am worried this might not be not be a good trait in law – it appears that everyone else is much more ‘on-top-of-it’ than I am...

So any ideas for a career change for some freaky genius with numbers, patterns, codes, spatial relationships, or should I stick with law and hope that I find a niche where I am not put on the spot too much to be as verbal as my counterparts

Ps. I am not really keen on accounting, but I just can’t think of anything else to do with numbers that might pay well and not require years more uni – I can become a qualified accountant through a 3 semester masters program, whereas to become a mathematician or engineer would require going back for another undergraduate degree and then starting at a fairly low income which I can’t afford at this point in my life

Thanks

Well it would seem to me that having to work very hard to do what you want would be preferable to not having to work hard at doing something you don't want.

Seriously - if you are not interested in accountancy (which is not just numbers) then you are actually going to find it a chore to study.

• Author

Lol :) Yes, I agree with your logic :)

The ironic thing is that I knew very little about law before I decied to study it... seriously, the idea just popped into my head and seemes to make sense, so I took a chance and applied and was accepted literally all in a matter of days! :confused: lol :) but the more I learnt about kaw as I began to study it, the more I actually really liked it... I was wondering if the same would apply to accounting, where once I actually learnt more about it, I would realise 'it's not just numbers', as you say :)

:)