business Casual on a Job interview

I have a job interview on Monday. I have been doing phone interviews with the people who run the place I want to work at for about 2 weeks now. I got a call today saying they want me to come in person. I hope this is a good sign and I get the job offered to me.

I usualy would just wear a suit and tie, but the man I spoke to made a point to say "Don't wear a suit dress business casual."

So, I think it would be a bad idea to wear a suit with those instructions. I'm not sure what I where. I really hope I just get the job offered to me after they see me in person.

My plan as of this moment is to wear dress shoes. Nice (maybe dockers) and a buttoned shirt. (not sure if I'll wear a tie but it seems like a good idea)

I could really use this job and I know competition for jobs is fierce these days.

The definition of business casual can be different depending on the industry and level the position you are interviewing for.

To me, "not a suit" means a blue sports jacket and khakis.

FLAT FRONT pants (dear G-d, please no pleats!) like nice Dockers or black trousers, and a button down dress/suit shirt with no tie. Nice belt and shoes.

:)

Business casual is crisp and neat attire. A few examples (keep in mind it can be dependent on the industry you are interviewing in and their guidelines):

http://www.uwec.edu/cob/student-enews/images/bcasual2.jpg

http://www.photos.com/search/royaltyfree/87700233

http://www.todydesigns.com/blog/images/BusinessCasualFinalsmall.jpg

http://file.asianlife.com/magazinearticle/2009/12/04/684b19644b3ada32.06518351.jpg

You can also ask what their dress policy is for business casual.

Good luck on the interview!

You know, business casual for people that ALREADY work there and for someone interviewing for the first time in person....different

The Flat Front Dockers, a white crisp shirt, a belt of course, brown...No Tie, wear a spread collar with the first button loose...Wear the jacket but take it off when you sit down if your interviewer is not wearing one. Wear a watch. Your shoes need only be brown and clean.

I like that. Its dressed for a professional meeting for a casual industry.

You will give an interview impression without looking like you are trying too hard. And remember it is not a date - no one wants to smell you. Skip the Cologne unless it smells like soap and water.

• Author

I hope I have a good shot. I've done phone interviews with 2 different guys who run the place over the past 2 weeks. Now they want to meet me in person so I hope it just gets offered to me. I know that probably hundreds of people applied maybe even a thousand who knows.

I went and got a hair cut today. Shorter then I normaly do, more professional. Every one seemed excited for me and the hairdresser even gave me a business card for a guy who is in my field at a different place. A lady in the seat next to me said she really liked my hair. So I said thanks for the confidence.

I do wish he hadn't said anything about not wearing a suit. Seriosly I'd show up for a job interview to hand out flyers in a hot dog costume in a suit if it was a job I wanted.

Oh well if I wear a suit at this point it will look like I dismissed what he said...

Sorry about being cryptic about what the job is but I'm always paranoid about people figuring me out. It is a good job that pays good money and has A LOT of room for promotion is all I'll say.

Please Do Not wear a tie unless you are wearing a jacket. Thats grade school.

Good point with the tie. I was thinking of wearing a sweater (but it will only make me sweat)

FLAT FRONT pants (dear G-d, please no pleats!) like nice Dockers or black trousers, and a button down dress/suit shirt with no tie. Nice belt and shoes.

:)

Good advice. I need a new belt. I don't like the way my nice one feels. And the comfy one is worn out... more of a casual day belt (where I don't care)

Business casual is crisp and neat attire. A few examples (keep in mind it can be dependent on the industry you are interviewing in and their guidelines):

http://www.uwec.edu/cob/student-enews/images/bcasual2.jpg

http://www.photos.com/search/royaltyfree/87700233

http://www.todydesigns.com/blog/images/BusinessCasualFinalsmall.jpg

http://file.asianlife.com/magazinearticle/2009/12/04/684b19644b3ada32.06518351.jpg

You can also ask what their dress policy is for business casual.

Good luck on the interview!

thanks. I will get a feel for what they consider business casual... I just didn't want to ask him for advice on what to wear to the interview. I would have just worn a suit but he specificaly said "don't wear a suit, dress business casual"

You know, business casual for people that ALREADY work there and for someone interviewing for the first time in person....different

The Flat Front Dockers, a white crisp shirt, a belt of course, brown...No Tie, wear a spread collar with the first button loose...Wear the jacket but take it off when you sit down if your interviewer is not wearing one. Wear a watch. Your shoes need only be brown and clean.

I like that. Its dressed for a professional meeting for a casual industry.

You will give an interview impression without looking like you are trying too hard. And remember it is not a date - no one wants to smell you. Skip the Cologne unless it smells like soap and water.

I usualy don't even wear deoderant. People often coment that I smell good. I plan on wearing some arm and hammer oderless baking soda deoderant jsut to be extra fresh. I hate cologn. I even hate the stronger smelling deoderants.

• Author

UPDATE. So I thought I had spoken to one of the main boss's this morning but I was wrong. I was so tired this morning. Like a bum I wasn't awake at 8:05 am or what ever time it was I got the call. I was really focusing on not sounding like I just woke up.

Any ways one of the boss's called and wanted to make sure I was comming. I was bold and tried to figure out if I was being offered the job or not. He told me that it was between me and two (maybe three I wasn't sure) guys and that they needed some one like NOW to handle some things that were happening. I'm actualy going to get a call from a guy who I havn't spoken to yet over the weekend (not sure what time but my only plans for the weekend were hanging out with friends, resteraunts and football on tv) If I get the call I'll just try to step away from noise if I'm not home.

I actualy asked, AGAIN just to be sure business casual.. and he was like "thats what I'll be wearing"

I really hope I get an answer Monday seriously ever day with out a job has been anoying.

Good luck Green!

And it is good how you don't tell people your profession; it actually makes you more interesting and intriguing.

Perhaps when I finish my studies and get a well paid job I will also not " reveal" myself in places like here. But for now I do not consider my casual Cafe and retail work to be a job for the long term. Although I do work for an exclusive company in retail at least!

CLOTHES: DO NOT wear a tie, yuck. Not without a suit. That is too much for what the guy alluded to.

Just wear smart pants, no pleats like the other poster mentioned, a nice new belt, and a nice shirt.

Having a nice hair cut will gives you the extra confidence that will give you an edge, too. At least if you are like me. I want to get everything waxed for my date, for instance, but dunno if I can afford it; but it makes a huge difference for me for jobs interviews and dates, if I do something new to myself. Clothes or foils put through my hair.

Let us know if it all goes well and congrats for already getting chosen over the thousands who may have applied!

Edited by Leigh 87

And I know what you mean about how you did not want to ask the guy what to wear; even when I am not sure of such a thing, I hate asking people things like that, I know it does not make me sound silly, but somehow I feel like it does hinder how they perceive me.

• Author
Good luck Green!

And it is good how you don't tell people your profession; it actually makes you more interesting and intriguing.

I only do it on here because of all the controversial views I have... that really shouldn't be considered controversial at all.

Perhaps when I finish my studies and get a well paid job I will also not " reveal" myself in places like here. But for now I do not consider my casual Cafe and retail work to be a job for the long term. Although I do work for an exclusive company in retail at least!

See and its not like you told us the name of the exclusive company.

Let us know if it all goes well and congrats for already getting chosen over the thousands who may have applied!

Thanks, i hope to truely be chosen. I doubt I'll get a definite answer monday. hopefuly by wednesday.

Fingers crossed!!

I'm sure it will be fine either way.

Your nice and excited.

I'm getting really broke need MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Author
If asked, don't name a figure.. keep it open, negotiable.

I'm fine with the figure they are offering. The salary alone is nice plus they have performance based incentives.

I don't think u have any controversial views, Green. It takes a lot to annoy me stir me up, any ways; others may be more easily shaken.

Sucks being broke. really hope u get this job, cos u want it badly and I believe that those who want it most, do best in the given job.