Can this be called 'fired'?

I worked in this big company 'at will' for over 3 years. I have always been unhappy on how it has worked. The last year was the worst as a new boss came from outside.

I was about to 'fire' my boss by transferring internally, then she picked one thing and gave me a warning from HR. I was so upset and asked HR about the option of leave of absense 'to clear my mind'. Believe me I am very motivated but my boss wasn't supportive (unusual, but true). In the last I was terminated and gave the reason as 'not because of performance', but 'as volenteer to leave', because my work style doesn't match the system, but may match well in another company's system.

Am I considered to be fired?

When I apply for another job, how do I tell them? Does it look like to be fired? My biggest concern is how the interviewer will perceive this and me.

Edited by inorderto

I really don't understand what happened, as you explained it.

Were you terminated? Because then yes, you were fired.

What will your employment record say was the reason you left? Was it voluntary, or was it termination?

Are you eligible for rehire? If not, they probably fired you; if you are, you're probably fine.

Did you leave after being told you'd be fired? That's basically the same thing as being fired, except they might show on your employment record that you left voluntarily and nothing else.

Sounds to me like they gave you the option of being fired (to allow you to collect unemployment) or resigning on your own (to be able to say you weren't fired)...but either way, they wanted you gone. It's unclear whether you took the resignation...?

Call HR and ask them for the reasons stated in your personnel file for your separation from employment with the company.

• Author

I could be rehired only if the company's work process changes.

I was told to be teminated then I left. But one day ago I asked HR about other type of leave - leave of absense etc. I also complained to the big boss how I was motivated the first year, and how I am so tired by everything now.

The record showes voluntary leave, not terminated.

That's why I am confused.

I worked in this big company 'at will' for over 3 years. I have always been unhappy on how it has worked. The last year was the worst as a new boss came from outside.

I was about to 'fire' my boss by transferring internally, then she picked one thing and gave me a warning from HR. I was so upset and asked HR about the option of leave of absense 'to clear my mind'. Believe me I am very motivated but my boss wasn't supportive (unusual, but true). In the last I was terminated and gave the reason as 'not because of performance', but 'as volenteer to leave', because my work style doesn't match the system, but may match well in another company's system.

Am I considered to be fired?

When I apply for another job, how do I tell them? Does it look like to be fired? My biggest concern is how the interviewer will perceive this and me.

Looks like they are trying to turn your request for a leave of absence into a voluntary termination. I would have made it clear that you are not quitting. At this point, ask for clarification on their end: are they firing you or do they considered your termination voluntary? Find out. Maybe write a letter saying that you want to be clear that you did not quit, and that you are under the impression that were terminated. Keep a copy of the letter and write down all and any correspondence you have with them. You will need it to apply for benefits.

• Author
Sounds to me like they gave you the option of being fired (to allow you to collect unemployment) or resigning on your own (to be able to say you weren't fired)...but either way, they wanted you gone. It's unclear whether you took the resignation...?

Call HR and ask them for the reasons stated in your personnel file for your separation from employment with the company.

That's very close to the what I think.

The boss (who I don't get along) said I was terminated. The HR said it was not because of my performance. I left but no separation letter from HR yet. The Friday is my last day.

If I take the resignation, am I allowed to collect the unemployment?

I could be rehired only if the company's work process changes.

I was told to be teminated then I left. But one day ago I asked HR about other type of leave - leave of absense etc. I also complained to the big boss how I was motivated the first year, and how I am so tired by everything now.

The record showes voluntary leave, not terminated.

That's why I am confused.

I don't mean would you allow the company to rehire you, but have they deemed you eligible for rehire?

I'm still confused. You were told you were terminated and left the premises? That sounds to me like you were fired.

So, you were told by your company that you were terminated, you left the office and have stopped working? And now, yesterday you asked HR if you could take a leave of absence? After they fired you?

If the record shows you left voluntarily and does not state terminated than you were not terminated.

• Author
I don't mean would you allow the company to rehire you, but have they deemed you eligible for rehire?

I'm still confused. You were told you were terminated and left the premises? That sounds to me like you were fired.

So, you were told by your company that you were terminated, you left the office and have stopped working? And now, yesterday you asked HR if you could take a leave of absence? After they fired you?

If the record shows you left voluntarily and does not state terminated than you were not terminated.

The order is:

I intend to fire my boss by transferring internally

My boss picked something and have HR gave me a warning

I contested, upset, and asked the HR for a leave of absense

HR, boss and me met. Boss told me I was terminated. HR told me no performance problem, record in letter will be voluntarily. I left. No separation letter yet.

As for rehiring, no, they didn't tell me I could be rehired. I have the impression I could be if 1) my boss is down or gone 2) process changes. And these 2 could happen at the same time.

Edited by inorderto

I've never heard of anyone being 'told to be terminated'. None of this makes much sense. There are times when people at our company were terminated because they 'weren't a good fit' - but they were still terminated. It was like doing them a favor because they seriously were not a good fit for the company and were going to be fired no matter what. I don't think you're eligible for benefits if you were terminated, but you need to verify that because I'm not positive.

The truth is, though, it's never a great idea to tell the 'big boss' that you were once motivated and now you're not. And it's never a great idea to let yourself become unmotivated just becaue you don't like your boss. If you can't work things out with your boss and he or she is that bad, then you just need to quit. On future interviews, don't say a word about not being motivated and not getting along with your boss. That's a sure-fire way to stay unemployed.

• Author
I've never heard of anyone being 'told to be terminated'. None of this makes much sense. There are times when people at our company were terminated because they 'weren't a good fit' - but they were still terminated. It was like doing them a favor because they seriously were not a good fit for the company and were going to be fired no matter what. I don't think you're eligible for benefits if you were terminated, but you need to verify that because I'm not positive.

The truth is, though, it's never a great idea to tell the 'big boss' that you were once motivated and now you're not. And it's never a great idea to let yourself become unmotivated just becaue you don't like your boss. If you can't work things out with your boss and he or she is that bad, then you just need to quit. On future interviews, don't say a word about not being motivated and not getting along with your boss. That's a sure-fire way to stay unemployed.

Some clarification: I am a good fit and more than my boss's group. I was unmotivated because my boss constantly interfere negatively with my work progress. It is hard to go to details to explain this. Sorry.

The order is:

I intend to fire my boss by transferring internally

My boss picked something and have HR gave me a warning

I contested, upset, and asked the HR for a leave of absense

HR, boss and me met. Boss told me I was terminated. HR told me no performance problem, record in letter will be voluntarily. I left. No separation letter yet.

As for rehiring, no, they didn't tell me I could be rehired. I have the impression I could be if 1) my boss is down or gone 2) process changes. And these 2 could happen at the same time.

I'm hoping that you didn't actually use the phrase 'fire my boss' when you spoke to HR....?

If I take the resignation, am I allowed to collect the unemployment?

No. That's the trade-off. If you take unemployment, their unemployment insurance premiums go up. They don't want that, so they want you to resign. You should also want to resign so that when future employers call, they will say you resigned instead of fired.

I'm assuming English is not your first language?

• Author
I'm hoping that you didn't actually use the phrase 'fire my boss' when you spoke to HR....?

When HR showed the warning letter to me in front of my boss, I felt so ridiculous and upset that I said I could accept the warning, but didn't want to have her as my boss any more. I was so upset and burst into tears and said whatever I wanted to say. I didn't feel HR was mad of me.

• Author
No. That's the trade-off. If you take unemployment, their unemployment insurance premiums go up. They don't want that, so they want you to resign. You should also want to resign so that when future employers call, they will say you resigned instead of fired.

I'm assuming English is not your first language?

No, English is not my first language.

Edited by inorderto

Sounds that the person wasnt terminated if their last day is this friday. Termination would have happen on premise and the personnel asked to relinquish certain company owned items or access items. (key to office, computer, company car...the likes there of..).

The stance as I see it is, the employee is being given the chance to leave with a fair record. Future employers are hesitant in asking too much information about past records for new hires...They even give leniency sometimes if the persons skills outweigh the personnel records....

• Author

One important question: do you remember of transferring to another group in my earlier posts? With the termination or whatever, and warning letter in HR also with my contest letter, do you think it is stupid for me to apply externally to the other group's opening? My original group works very closely on every projects with the other group. I had been friendly with all the other group's managers.

Should I just forget it? The big boss is in charge of both group. I think he has approved the termination.

Edited by inorderto
One important question: do you remember of transferring to another group in my earlier posts? With the termination or whatever, and warning letter in HR also with my contest letter, do you think it is stupid for me to apply externally to the other group's opening? My original group works very closely on every projects with the other group. I had been friendly with all the other group's managers.

Should I just forget it? The big boss is in charge of both group. I think he has approved the termination.

You know, it's really hard to say. Since you'll be there for a couple of more days, why don't you check with HR and see what they say. I hope it works out for you!