jobsearchblues

I'm flailing for references, but I haven't had much contact with one of my bosses from a job I had 2 years ago. I'd really like to include him as a reference, as I'm looking to get that type of job again. The problem is the previous supervisor is really hard to get a hold of, he is really bad at actually doing things-hence why I don't even have a reference letter from him, 2 years after the fact. As for giving his phone number to potential employers he's hard to get a hold of that way as well, as he's often out of town. What should I do? Should I give one of my co-workers contact info. but I think using my supervisor as a reference, if I could would have more clout? On the plus side I have a really strong reference from another job where I got along well with my supervisor.

• 4 weeks later...

I say go for it.. do exactly what you're pondering upon actually doing. What's the worst that could go wrong, a rejection of: 'I'm sorry... but I can't write you a reference.'

Well, I say ask anyway.. and see what the outcome is.

If you haven't worked for him in 2 years, chances are that previous supervisor is not going to really remember you anyway. Why don't you write your own reference and send it to him to sign it? I've worked in a few really high level organizations in the past where the CEO or pres agreed to sign my reference letter, but asked me to write it myself. If he's really that busy, he's not going to have time to sit around trying to remember the strengths of someone who worked for him two years ago.

The first time around is weird, but give it a shot. Then send him the letter (or send it to his assistant) with a polite note reminding him who you are, explaining your current job search situation, and asking if he'd be willing to sign it, or make his own amendments and sign it. Don't lie or embellish too much, but don't undersell yourself either. Then you've got a nice reference letter all ready to go.

Good luck

2SidestoStories
Why don't you write your own reference and send it to him to sign it?

That's a terrific suggestion. I think I may actually do the same thing for my own job search!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a college professor and have a lot of students ask me for references, so I do just that - have them write a reference and give it to me on disc so I can edit it if necessary (and I have had to edit a few!!!!) and print it on my letterhead. I love reading what some of them write!

So I suggest just that, give the ref. on a disc rather than a hard copy.