availability and ridic expectations

SecretSquirrel

I don't know what it is about my job, but for some crazy reason, people (not my employer, who is on my side) seemingly assume that I literally work 24/7.

Anyways, an example of something that typically happens to me: Friday afternoon I called and left a message for someone for a professional reason. She called me on Friday night and left a message. I called her back Monday afternoon, less than one business day after she left me her message, and she was annoyed that I had "waited several days" to call her back (it was not a time-sensitive matter that I was calling in regards to).

In addition, in her message she had indicated that meeting over the weekend was a possibility. It is not uncommon for people to want me to meet with them late at night, very early in the morning (like 6am), or on weekends, which IMO is just ridiculous, and I'd like to know how they would feel if their employers expected them to work those hours :rolleyes::confused:

I have considered changing my outgoing message to indicate the hours I am available (ie, 9-5 M-F), but think this is probably unprofessional. What do you think?

What do you do for a living?

When I was in private practice, it was understood that I'd be available to clients 24/7. That's part of why I left private practice.

calvinshardy09

Thanks for sharing your useful information with us. Your information are really good. I never heard such kind of information before this. All of you have a good knowledge about every thing.

GorillaTheater
What do you do for a living?

When I was in private practice, it was understood that I'd be available to clients 24/7. That's part of why I left private practice.

Amen. With few exceptions evenings and weekends are mine, baby. Throw in not having to keep track of billable hours and you have something close to paradise.

GorillaTheater
Thanks for sharing your useful information with us. Your information are really good. I never heard such kind of information before this. All of you have a good knowledge about every thing.

So tell us about yourself, Calvin. What brings you to LS?