How do I become hands-down the best member of my team?

jean-luc sisko

Our team at work has seven members. Without sounding conceited, I think I am near best. There is this other girl, who is in fairness very solid, but I think compared to her my depth of understanding of our field is greater, my work is more thorough and detailed, and I have good research techniques regarding our field's topics.

I think I would be hands-down the best if I were more consistent, sometimes I vary. How can I be more consistent?

Health and safety.

Writing and enforcing policy?

Again, without specifics, dynamics, expectations, what your role is within this dynamic, it's hard to give advice. If you were in sales, you'd get different advice than functioning in an HR position.

If you want to be the best you can be, it's best to start with what your role is, and what the expectations with regard to your role is. A good employee meets the expectations, an exceptional employee goes above and beyond the expectations.

Without knowing the expectations of your job, it's still hard to give specific advice beyond the generic.

Well, if you're a member of a "team", you don't tend to be the best member by trying to surpass the others. Usually that just makes you a team of one.

If you really are so talented, then do your job the way you know best, and that will get you recognition. But if you want to be really appreciated, then do things for the team. Be a leader. But also boost your teammates and don't try to keep all the glory for yourself.

Well, if you're a member of a "team", you don't tend to be the best member by trying to surpass the others. Usually that just makes you a team of one.

If you really are so talented, then do your job the way you know best, and that will get you recognition. But if you want to be really appreciated, then do things for the team. Be a leader. But also boost your teammates and don't try to keep all the glory for yourself.

Meh, you might do it surreptitiously. You always want to do what is best for the team, because what is best for team can ultimately lead to something better for you. The best way to get noticed in a situation like this is to be the team leader or shining star on an important project.

• Author
jean-luc sisko
Writing and enforcing policy?

Again, without specifics, dynamics, expectations, what your role is within this dynamic, it's hard to give advice. If you were in sales, you'd get different advice than functioning in an HR position.

If you want to be the best you can be, it's best to start with what your role is, and what the expectations with regard to your role is. A good employee meets the expectations, an exceptional employee goes above and beyond the expectations.

Without knowing the expectations of your job, it's still hard to give specific advice beyond the generic.

It is in designing health and safety systems.

• Author
jean-luc sisko

So? A team is a collective, but individual.

Why? What good does that do?

So? A team is a collective, but individual.

A team is made up of many parts, like a Body. Like a body it's best if they all work well together, as a cohesive unit, not independently. If one part starts to over-drive, or conversely, break down it creates an imbalance.

If you strive to be "better than anyone else" you are that imbalance, and the malfunctioning member of the team, because you are not working with them, effectively you're working against them. In biological terms, this is known as either tumorous or necrosis. Either way, it should be removed to permit the remainder of the body to continue functioning perfectly well without it....

Why? What good does that do?

It does either you or them no good at all, because you are a sociopath and as such incapable of effective and productive interaction. That's amply demonstrated by your lack of communication skills on this forum. You respond with antagonistic comments, or ask questions which don't seek to clarify, but to challenge. That's a distinctive sociopathic trait. That's fine, that's just the way you are.

Working as aprt of a team, and striving to be better than them actually makes you separate from the team, because you don't want collective success or to share the glory, you want it for yourself. So you are not a team player, at all.

I'd work on your own, if I were you, or find yourself out on a limb.

Seriously.

• Author
jean-luc sisko
A team is made up of many parts, like a Body. Like a body it's best if they all work well together, as a cohesive unit, not independently. If one part starts to over-drive, or conversely, break down it creates an imbalance.

If you strive to be "better than anyone else" you are that imbalance, and the malfunctioning member of the team, because you are not working with them, effectively you're working against them. In biological terms, this is known as either tumorous or necrosis. Either way, it should be removed to permit the remainder of the body to continue functioning perfectly well without it....

It does either you or them no good at all, because you are a sociopath and as such incapable of effective and productive interaction. That's amply demonstrated by your lack of communication skills on this forum. You respond with antagonistic comments, or ask questions which don't seek to clarify, but to challenge. That's a distinctive sociopathic trait. That's fine, that's just the way you are.

Working as aprt of a team, and striving to be better than them actually makes you separate from the team, because you don't want collective success or to share the glory, you want it for yourself. So you are not a team player, at all.

I'd work on your own, if I were you, or find yourself out on a limb.

Seriously.

what is wrong being antagonistic to all of you? do i know you?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

you are ..... incapable of effective and productive interaction. That's amply demonstrated by your lack of communication skills on this forum. You respond with antagonistic comments, or ask questions which don't seek to clarify, but to challenge.

I rest my case......:rolleyes:

Nope. if that was the case this forum wouldn't exist.

People interact constructively, actively seek advice and gain support from others in their times of sorrow, anger and distress. This forum is a very good one for supplying a supportive network for those seeking extra help to endure or go through difficult periods of their lives.

You, on the other hand, throw out seemingly innocent and curious questions, yet never once have I seen you ever say to anybody "oh I see, I understand, than you for your help, I'll try that. It's good advice to take on board."

You persist in countering virtually every post made in reply to you, and challenging premises which hold well for others, but for you are distinctly unnatural and alien, because with the condition you have, it's impossible for you to either agree with anyone, cooperate, or comply.

You're about to argue this one too. That's ok, knock yourself out.

• Author
jean-luc sisko
Nope. if that was the case this forum wouldn't exist.

People interact constructively, actively seek advice and gain support from others in their times of sorrow, anger and distress. This forum is a very good one for supplying a supportive network for those seeking extra help to endure or go through difficult periods of their lives.

You, on the other hand, throw out seemingly innocent and curious questions, yet never once have I seen you ever say to anybody "oh I see, I understand, than you for your help, I'll try that. It's good advice to take on board."

Should I care?

You persist in countering virtually every post made in reply to you, and challenging premises which hold well for others, but for you are distinctly unnatural and alien, because with the condition you have, it's impossible for you to either agree with anyone, cooperate, or comply.

You're about to argue this one too. That's ok, knock yourself out.

Everybody thinks differently, no? I believe these values as you purport are just empty platitudes, and people seldom live by them.

and I am arguing, granted. Nonetheless, I enjoy challenges and debate. I also am not interesting in being nice or accommodatory, it's just an internet forum of strangers.

Should I care?

Do what you like, you always do. ...

Everybody thinks differently, no? I believe these values as you purport are just empty platitudes, and people seldom live by them.

Yes, I know you do.

Fortunately, you're in the minority, because very few people have as dysfunctional perceptions as you have. Nothing I sayb will convince you otherwise, so if it floats your boat, fine.

and I am arguing, granted. Nonetheless, I enjoy challenges and debate.

You are neither debating nor seeking challenges. You're merely picking each post and arguing against it for the sake of it. Debate is countering discussion with coherehnt, logical and sensible counter reasoning. You don't do that; if someone says it's black, you say it's white for the sheer antagonism.

I also am not interesting in being nice or accommodatory, it's just an internet forum of strangers.

Which begs the question why bother engaging with them, if it isn't to just flame troll, be irritating and argumentative? Because for the life of me, I don't see the point of you even being here.

• Author
jean-luc sisko
Do what you like, you always do. ...

Yes, I know you do.

Fortunately, you're in the minority, because very few people have as dysfunctional perceptions as you have. Nothing I sayb will convince you otherwise, so if it floats your boat, fine.

You are neither debating nor seeking challenges. You're merely picking each post and arguing against it for the sake of it. Debate is countering discussion with coherehnt, logical and sensible counter reasoning. You don't do that; if someone says it's black, you say it's white for the sheer antagonism.

Which begs the question why bother engaging with them, if it isn't to just flame troll, be irritating and argumentative? Because for the life of me, I don't see the point of you even being here.

It's a free country and a free world. Anybody can do anything they want. :laugh: as i said, it's just an internet forum.

You're in a club of many, Johan.

This guy will seek answers only to start arguments. he does it consistently, perpetually and unfailingly. He is a successful flamer and troll, and frankly, how he keeps getting away with it is beyond me.

There isn't a single thing anybody has ever said to him to which he has reacted positively, gratefully, graciously, courteously or constructively. He argues for the sake of argument, dismisses all and every response, and merely seeks to antagonise. His condition prevents him from interacting normally with anyone, and he contributes nothing to the forum.

He sounds impossible to work with, and frankly, I'd be interested to see how his fellow team-members interact with him.

What he doesn't seem to get is that any measures he takes to be the "best member of my team" - automatically puts him outside the team.

It's a paradox, isn't it.....?

desertIslandCactus

A 'team' is made up of members who watch each other's back. Where one is lacking, another may fill in. Combined they make a total unit. 100% +

If you are asking how to become the best member of your team so that you can highlight yourself for promotion...

As long as your job skills are up to par, dont worry about them. Focus on leadership. Many people get promoted in their professions not because of their skill , but because of their ability to lead the team.

• Author
jean-luc sisko
You're in a club of many, Johan.

This guy will seek answers only to start arguments. he does it consistently, perpetually and unfailingly. He is a successful flamer and troll, and frankly, how he keeps getting away with it is beyond me.

There isn't a single thing anybody has ever said to him to which he has reacted positively, gratefully, graciously, courteously or constructively. He argues for the sake of argument, dismisses all and every response, and merely seeks to antagonise. His condition prevents him from interacting normally with anyone, and he contributes nothing to the forum.

He sounds impossible to work with, and frankly, I'd be interested to see how his fellow team-members interact with him.

What he doesn't seem to get is that any measures he takes to be the "best member of my team" - automatically puts him outside the team.

It's a paradox, isn't it.....?

Oh, I have been courteous in some threads. Maybe just not to you, but that's by the by.

And I'm always nice to co-workers. Why shouldn't I be? I like them. Never once has anybody in work said i'm not co-operative.

i don't know.
Go back to all the instances of inconsistency that you can remember. Write them all down if need be. Then source the pattern and most often, there will be a definitive pattern whether it's external, internal or a combination of the two.

Or...

Reverse the process and review situations that make you shine.