I've been dating my boss for about 8 months and we recently got engaged. We started dating about three months AFTER I joined a company he has been employed at for 15 years. We have been keeping our relationship a secret in the workplace because he is my boss and if the higher ups find out about it, I will likely be moved to HIGH -stress position,which could affect my plans to work full-time while going to grad school. Since we are getting married in a year, we know it's time to tell management. A couple co-workers close to us already know, but have been keeping the secret for the most part. The problem is my soon to be husband is highly protective over me and doesn't want to tell his bosses until the 'right position' for me come available in the company. I want him to tell the 'higher ups' ASAP before they find out another way -- which could really affect his image in the workplace and possibly lead to him being fired. Should I be stressing over the issue, or let my soon to be husband handle the issue while I plan for a wedding next year? a lovers spat than "workplace" issue. :love:

I've been on this planet long enough to know one thing: The very second another party is told about something, the cat is out of the bag. It's only a matter of days before word of your relationship and your engagement trickles up to high management. You must tell them immediately, no matter what the consequences. And you must be extremely careful about this as well. They're not going to take well to the fact that you are announcing your engagement to your boss, which implies you have been seeing him against company policy for some time. It may be well to just tell them the two of you are dating at this point.

Never underestimate the power of the spoken word, no matter how closed-mouthed the recipients vow they will be. Sometimes, they have the loudest and quickets voices.

Congratulations on your engagement...and you can count on me to keep my lips sealed (at least for a few days)!!!

• Author

Tony, you are so on point! We have decided to tell the 'higher ups' that we have JUST started to date, then about six months before the wedding that we are engaged. You are right about the rumor getting around with even a few people knowing.

I'm just having the hardest time explaining to my soon-to-be husband the importance of telling his bosses ASAP and worrying about the other stuff as it comes. The most they can do is move one of us to another position, which isn't good because we both are Very HAPPY in our current postions. Regardless, the new position would result in an increased workplace, but nothing we cant deal with.

He just a bit piggy-head and wants to postponed the annoucement until late Dec.--when we are getting married in June.