Resumes and Cover Letters

I was just curiouse on your opinions when it comes to cover letters. I found some good models of cover letters online. What I wondered though is if the email itself should act as the cover letter with the resume attached. Or if the email should be kept short with a cover letter and resume attached?

I always have a short email with the actual cover letter and resume attached. I never let an email act as a cover letter...especially in the legal market...

My email might just state:

"Please see the attached cover letter and resume. Thanks for your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you.

[signature block]"

Edited by USMCHokie
  • Author

Yeah thats sorta the way I used to do it. I havn't had to look for a job in a while. Usualy I was faxing or hand delivering most of my aplications back in the day.

Take a look at this link and tell me if you think its a good template for me to use http://web.mit.edu/career/www/guide/coverletters.pdf they have their example at the bottom

That template is pretty standard for cover letters and a good, safe choice to follow for your cover letter. My form cover letter pretty much follows that template exactly. The first paragraph should focus on the specific position you're applying for; the second paragraph should focus on you; and the third paragraph should close out the letter.

• Author

do you think it makes a difference if I send the attachments as word documents or pdf files? Should I send them as seperate files or just one with both pages? What should name the files (greenresume) (greencoverletter)?

do you think it makes a difference if I send the attachments as word documents or pdf files? Should I send them as seperate files or just one with both pages? What should name the files (greenresume) (greencoverletter)?

Shouldn't make a difference. If you have the capacity to convert .doc files to .pdf then by all means, go ahead. They are both standard document types which any employer should be able to open, read, and print. I just use [lastname]resume.doc and [lastname]coverletter.doc.

As far as combining the documents into one file, again I don't think it should matter. Most employers are just going to open the files and print them out. But some employers (especially government agencies) use a computer system to filter through resumes, so it might be better to have separate files.

Do you always include a cover letter or only if they ask?

Only if asked. If they just ask for a resume, then I just send a resume and perhaps add a few more words to my email...

Do you always include a cover letter or only if they ask?

I myself appreciate a cover letter, and I always read them. I like a cover letter that gives a brief outline of skills and experience. If you are e-mailing your resume, it's good to have your cover letter in the body of the e-mail, then attach your resume.

I'd personalize each cover letter.

• Author
Only if asked. If they just ask for a resume, then I just send a resume and perhaps add a few more words to my email...

My gf said if they ask for a "statement of interest" that means cover letter too.

What you said is pretty much what my gf has said so far.

I myself appreciate a cover letter, and I always read them. I like a cover letter that gives a brief outline of skills and experience. If you are e-mailing your resume, it's good to have your cover letter in the body of the e-mail, then attach your resume.

I agree on personalizing each cover letter but I will be using the link I posted as a general template.

I don't think I will be putting the cover letter in the body of the email. When it is asked for I will have a body to the email and then a seperate cover letter and resume attached.

I agree on personalizing each cover letter but I will be using the link I posted as a general template.

I don't think I will be putting the cover letter in the body of the email. When it is asked for I will have a body to the email and then a seperate cover letter and resume attached.

Yep, the template as a basic guideline is fine.

To be honest, if I got an e-mail with 2 attachments- one a cover letter, and the other the resume- I'd go straight for the resume and not read the cover letter to save time (I get 10-20 resumes by e-mail a day). However, if the body of the e-mail is the cover letter, I'd read it simply because it's open in front of me already.

Depends on what type of work you're applying for as well.:)

soleharmony1123

Exactly, that's how I do it - put the cover letter in the body of the email and attach the resume. In some instances, they might ask for salary requirements, which I'll attach as a separat document also. After the introductory paragraph briefly outlining the position I'm applying for and where it was advertised/posted, I state a bit about my background qualifications as they specifically apply to the legal position for which I may be applying. Then I sum it up by expressing my interest and how I'd look forward to discussing my qualifications and skills further in an interview.

Exactly, that's how I do it - put the cover letter in the body of the email and attach the resume. In some instances, they might ask for salary requirements, which I'll attach as a separat document also. After the introductory paragraph briefly outlining the position I'm applying for and where it was advertised/posted, I state a bit about my background qualifications as they specifically apply to the legal position for which I may be applying. Then I sum it up by expressing my interest and how I'd look forward to discussing my qualifications and skills further in an interview.

Yep, especially in a time when jobs are scarce- one job posting can generate 100 responses per day for an entry level position. The person screening the e-mails needs to be wowed right off the bat in order to even open the resume attachment.

I have about 20 minutes every morning to sift through my e-mails. I, personally like to have the cover letter in the body of the e-mail. If the spelling and grammar is poor, I usually won't even open the resume, I'll just move on to the next.

I think it's important to get right to the point in the cover letter.

I generally skim, scanning for the skills and experience in the body of the cover letter. If I like what I read, I open the resume attachment.

That's why it's important to personalize a cover letter. I don't really care to know where someone saw the ad- I just want to be intrigued enough by the cover letter to open the resume.

• Author
I always have a short email with the actual cover letter and resume attached. I never let an email act as a cover letter...especially in the legal market...

My email might just state:

"Please see the attached cover letter and resume. Thanks for your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you.

[signature block]"

Yep, especially in a time when jobs are scarce- one job posting can generate 100 responses per day for an entry level position. The person screening the e-mails needs to be wowed right off the bat in order to even open the resume attachment.

I have about 20 minutes every morning to sift through my e-mails. I, personally like to have the cover letter in the body of the e-mail. If the spelling and grammar is poor, I usually won't even open the resume, I'll just move on to the next.

I think it's important to get right to the point in the cover letter.

I generally skim, scanning for the skills and experience in the body of the cover letter. If I like what I read, I open the resume attachment.

That's why it's important to personalize a cover letter. I don't really care to know where someone saw the ad- I just want to be intrigued enough by the cover letter to open the resume.

I think USMC is giving advice on par with what my gf said. The jobs I'm applying for are of a proffessional legal nature.

I do have a short 3 or 4 sentance paragraph in the email explaining who I am. How I'm qualified, mentioning the attachments and thanking them and ecouraging them to contact me. With my contact info at the bottom. I do tailor the email as well as the cover letter to each application.

Some applications give me LOTS of detail others do not.

I think USMC is giving advice on par with what my gf said. The jobs I'm applying for are of a proffessional legal nature.

I do have a short 3 or 4 sentance paragraph in the email explaining who I am. How I'm qualified, mentioning the attachments and thanking them and ecouraging them to contact me. With my contact info at the bottom. I do tailor the email as well as the cover letter to each application.

Some applications give me LOTS of detail others do not.

Greenie, as long as you give something in the body of your e-mail that makes the person reading it want to open your resume, you're good.

I think it depends who is going to be considering your application. If you will be considered by a team, as opposed to an individual, then I would recommend adding a cover letter and a CV as attachments to a very brief email. I work in an area of recruitment where a small panel will be assessing applications. Two attachments like this are more likely to be printed off as being "the complete application" than the email. Emails tend to have detracting information - headers, odd formats, and so on. You can make a simple, A4-sized letter look neat, clear and concise.

A statement of interest, or what is sometimes called a personal statement, is an opportunity apart from your CV to say what interests you about the specific job you are applying for and what relevant experience you can bring to it. The CV is often more general. The statement can be incorporated into the cover letter or stand alone.

Useful things to remember for your application in general might be:

- include some interests or hobbies as this gives the reader (and later) interviewer something to ask you about and a way of breaking the ice. Sometimes candidates have intriguing interests or they mention aspects of their hobbies that inspire curiosity

- it goes without saying that you should include relevant qualifications, skills and experience

- include any awards or opportunities you've been given that are relevant or vaguely related - shows your experience and skills

- mention travel and any languages, again gives them something to ask you about and your knowledge might come in useful

- be enthusiastic about the post, how it interests you, what motivates you, that you want to pursue it and stick at it, indicate your commitment to doing a good job and sticking at it for as long as the employer's likely to need you to or can reasonably expect

- mention work experience or travel that involved making contacts, maintaining them and generally showing your people skills

- mention any presentation skills or experience - it's not always required in a job but an employer may be mindful that they might have to send you somewhere to deputise at some point. Reassurance that you could handle a presentation, meeting or responsibility, is good

- write well and clearly

- make sure you include contact details and any information they've requested up front - it's irritating to have to chase for things

Essentially, you want to send them one neat, concise, application package that is easily photocopied or scanned. It looks efficient, causes no hassle at the other end, and is clear.

Just a few thoughts anyway. Best of luck!

A personalized custom letter for each resume you submit can be very time consuming but also very worth it. It instantly separates you from the rest of the flock in the line of effort, and getting noticed is the first battle anyway. If they like your resume at that point you're almost sure to at least get an interview, and the rest will be up to you. I never used to use cover letters until I got off the high school type jobs and found that cover letters are a must for real world positions.

• Author
I think it depends who is going to be considering your application. If you will be considered by a team, as opposed to an individual, then I would recommend adding a cover letter and a CV as attachments to a very brief email. I work in an area of recruitment where a small panel will be assessing applications. Two attachments like this are more likely to be printed off as being "the complete application" than the email. Emails tend to have detracting information - headers, odd formats, and so on. You can make a simple, A4-sized letter look neat, clear and concise.

A statement of interest, or what is sometimes called a personal statement, is an opportunity apart from your CV to say what interests you about the specific job you are applying for and what relevant experience you can bring to it. The CV is often more general. The statement can be incorporated into the cover letter or stand alone.

Useful things to remember for your application in general might be:

- include some interests or hobbies as this gives the reader (and later) interviewer something to ask you about and a way of breaking the ice. Sometimes candidates have intriguing interests or they mention aspects of their hobbies that inspire curiosity

- it goes without saying that you should include relevant qualifications, skills and experience

- include any awards or opportunities you've been given that are relevant or vaguely related - shows your experience and skills

- mention travel and any languages, again gives them something to ask you about and your knowledge might come in useful

- be enthusiastic about the post, how it interests you, what motivates you, that you want to pursue it and stick at it, indicate your commitment to doing a good job and sticking at it for as long as the employer's likely to need you to or can reasonably expect

- mention work experience or travel that involved making contacts, maintaining them and generally showing your people skills

- mention any presentation skills or experience - it's not always required in a job but an employer may be mindful that they might have to send you somewhere to deputise at some point. Reassurance that you could handle a presentation, meeting or responsibility, is good

- write well and clearly

- make sure you include contact details and any information they've requested up front - it's irritating to have to chase for things

Essentially, you want to send them one neat, concise, application package that is easily photocopied or scanned. It looks efficient, causes no hassle at the other end, and is clear.

Just a few thoughts anyway. Best of luck!

Thank you for explaining statements of interest.

Also thanks you for really making me think about how to make a great cover letter.

A personalized custom letter for each resume you submit can be very time consuming but also very worth it. It instantly separates you from the rest of the flock in the line of effort, and getting noticed is the first battle anyway. If they like your resume at that point you're almost sure to at least get an interview, and the rest will be up to you. I never used to use cover letters until I got off the high school type jobs and found that cover letters are a must for real world positions.

It is very time consuming. Takes me atleast 30 minutes usualy more to do each job application.

If I send out 5 applications in 5 hours I consider that a success. Today I was lazy and only sent out one application. I did go networkng with my good friend who is helping me out. He already pointed out one job at his business in my field that was really high paying but that I was not at all qualified for.

• Author

I saw a job I wanted to apply for. It's like 1am right now. Do you think it will look bad that I emailed them with my resume and cover letter so late?

I just did it because I wanted them to be able to read it first thing in the morning and wasn't sure what time I would get up.

I realized that if what I did was a no no in the future I could save the email as a draft and wake up early like at 6 or 7am and send the email the.

So what do you think, sending a resume and cover letter by email at 1am will it look bad or just like a person up late applying for a job and who cares.

I saw a job I wanted to apply for. It's like 1am right now. Do you think it will look bad that I emailed them with my resume and cover letter so late?

I just did it because I wanted them to be able to read it first thing in the morning and wasn't sure what time I would get up.

I realized that if what I did was a no no in the future I could save the email as a draft and wake up early like at 6 or 7am and send the email the.

So what do you think, sending a resume and cover letter by email at 1am will it look bad or just like a person up late applying for a job and who cares.

I never look at the time stamp Green.

And seeing a resume come in first thing means I will consider it first thing.

I read all my e-mails first thing in the morning- if there is a resume there, it gets my full attention. I then come home at 10 o'clock at night after a super long day and I am way less enthusiastic about sifting through resume's. I read them, but not with the same enthusiasm I read them in the morning.

Yes, it's in your favour to be the first resume they read in the morning.

• Author

Well I'm on a role tonight. I just applied for another job that I hadn't noticed and wasn't even up for 24 hours yet.

One of the requirements was at least five (5) years contract, purchasing, and/or business transactional experience.

Now I have worked as a salesman selling home improvement items such as tractors, sheds, attachments ect... for over 5 years and I did all the transactional computer work and contracts myself. I just hope they count this type of work as the type they needed... because they might not consider it business... but otherwise education wise I far exceed all the other requirements.

hopefuly i wasn't pushing the truth by saying I met the requirement. What do you guys think?

Hello Green! I love how intelligent your posts are. :)

A recruiter once told me that a cover letter is merely a formality. It's a nice touch that makes a prospective employee look professional.

I have always found it very easy to find work. The approach that I use, is an email with the cover letter and resume attached. The email is just a polite introduction with two sentences. The cover letter introduces my resume and highlights my experiences. The resume is the nitty-gritty of all my work history, with references. It helps a lot to have references at the end of the resume; too many people simply write "references available upon request".

That's my two cents Kermie! Good luck...;)

The experts in my field are few and far between. It's a good technical skill in a field that is now hard to get started in. It takes specialized schooling...schooling that is hard to get. (long story)

I keep my resume short (one page), the cover letter starts with a dozen keywords related to the skill. The rest of the cover is a short paragraph about my years of experience in each of the sub skills involved and the government licenses I've held.

The above nearly always gets a response. Even in this economy...the few are paid well.

For fun I once sent out a few resumes with humorous cover letters. Not one response, it took my ego down a notch.

WintersNightTraveler

FWIW back when I used to do hiring I usually just threw them away. They tended to be fluff. I was hiring for engineering positions.

Really all I was looking for in a resume was whether you were worth interviewing. Usually that comes through in 1-2 pages.

My least favorite resumes were from contracting/staffing agencies, who feel that applicants' resumes are judged based on weight, so they throw in all kinds of cover letters and long winded nonsense.

The cover letter can help but in my experience it more often detracted.

I would never decide to interview someone with a poor resume due to a good cover letter, or to not interview someone with a good resume due to lack of cover letter.

Most people doing hiring are strapped for time.

• Author

Well I'm still looking for a job. It's interesting to here advice though.

I really don't have enough experience yet so I may just start cold calling places I want to work.

I do find it interesting that some people just throw away cover letters, I only send them when asked for.

I may try joining a temp agency to help me get some experience but I hope it doesn't come to that.