Fired from retail as a stupid kid, what are my options out of college?

lovebugxoxo

I used to work for a huge retail chain store, and I was a dumb kid and got caught stealing gift cards and giving out coupons. I was fired from the job and had to pay back the money I took.

This was 3 years ago, when I was about to leave for college.

Now, I'm not in the "career" or serious job market yet, as I am still a full time student and planning to go to grad school, but what are the chances that the termination will show up on a background check? No charges were filed, but I did have to sign papers that said I am not available for rehire there.

The chain I was fired from is going through a mass shut down of half their stores, and the managers at the store I worked for no longer work there. Can I use that as an excuse for why they cannot call the chain for a reference?

That isn't my most recent job either, I had one last summer but it was a much smaller, different company that closed a lot of its stores in my area, but I still have the contact information for that boss.

If I just stay out of retail will I be okay? If I were to get a job next summer, I would want it to be more in my future career field, or something secretarial (so not a waitress or more retail or something). Or I would get an internship.

I'm freaking out. Please give me your advice!

Edited by lovebugxoxo

I'm going to guess you were 18 when this happened .

In many states committing a crime at 18 quite different if you were a minor at the time.

I would think this would be in the background check but please consult others here who might know better.

To leave out a job on a resume or application is an invitation to get caught.

The credit check is going to show this employer .

You'reasian

Did someone claim that you stole something or did you actually steal?

If it ever comes up as a serious issue and someone "claimed" that you stole, take a polygraph.

TheLoneSock

If it happened before you were 18 it won't show. If it happened after, it may. Your best option is to always tell the truth. An employer will respect someone who has learned from their mistakes and is honest about it far more than someone who never made a mistake in their life (and is probably lying about it).

We learn more from failure than we do success.

Depends on the kind of background check you're taking about.

If it happened after you turned 18 it is likely that it will be found during a background check...but again, it depends on the kind of background check/job you're talking about.

• Author
lovebugxoxo

I was 18 when it happened. Barely 18, but still 18. I wasn't planning on omitting the job from my resume, but rather just saying that they cannot contact the store for a reference because I no longer have contact with the management that was there when I was working. Would the background check show that I was caught stealing, or just that I was terminated and unavailable for rehire?

Honestly, (and not just because I'm optimistic) I think everything will be okay, because I don't plan on working retail again. Also it will be coming up on four years ago, so I think they'll understand that it was a while ago and I've grown up since then. If they find out and ask, I'll be honest. But I don't want to think about that right now!

BubbleFreak

Good luck to you LoveBug! I have known a few people who have been fired from jobs for stealing and have bounced back up. They got jobs that were maybe not so fantastic but used them as an opportunity to redeem themselves and with new job referees to use for next time. Also, one of my managers told me that it is illegal to say bad stuff about past employees because it is slander, but I'm not sure how true that is.

• Author
lovebugxoxo

Thanks bubblefreak! Yeah I've heard that some companies (especially huge-o megastores like mine) policies on employees that were fired were that all they can say is that the former employee worked from X date to X date, and they are not available for rehire. Anything more, I could potentially sue them for slander or what have you.

It might sound skeevie, but I'm thinking of masking my phone number and posing as a potential employer, and calling my old employer for a reference. You know, as a dry run for what a real future employer might hear. I'm just worried sick of what I'll hear.

God, I'll never make those same mistakes again. I'm losing so much sleep over this, and I'm not even looking for a job yet!

BubbleFreak
Thanks bubblefreak! Yeah I've heard that some companies (especially huge-o megastores like mine) policies on employees that were fired were that all they can say is that the former employee worked from X date to X date, and they are not available for rehire. Anything more, I could potentially sue them for slander or what have you.

It might sound skeevie, but I'm thinking of masking my phone number and posing as a potential employer, and calling my old employer for a reference. You know, as a dry run for what a real future employer might hear. I'm just worried sick of what I'll hear.

God, I'll never make those same mistakes again. I'm losing so much sleep over this, and I'm not even looking for a job yet!

Well, it is a valid concern. I went to a job search seminar at uni years ago and actually one of the other students did what you said. They got a friend to pose as a potential employer and called the referee, and found out that referee was not a good choice. Personally I would not do this, it is dishonest. Be honest. Move forward.

Do employers really do background checks for entry level positions?

Leaving your first job off a resume isn't going to leave a gap- so it's not going to create questions.

I was 18 when it happened. Barely 18, but still 18. I wasn't planning on omitting the job from my resume, but rather just saying that they cannot contact the store for a reference because I no longer have contact with the management that was there when I was working. Would the background check show that I was caught stealing, or just that I was terminated and unavailable for rehire?

Honestly, (and not just because I'm optimistic) I think everything will be okay, because I don't plan on working retail again. Also it will be coming up on four years ago, so I think they'll understand that it was a while ago and I've grown up since then. If they find out and ask, I'll be honest. But I don't want to think about that right now!

It still doesn't look good to have been terminated and being ineligible for rehire. Often if there is an issue tied to the termination (such as sexual harassment) the employment record only shows a termination/rehire eligibility, and the company's lawyer handles anything deeper than that.

I don't understand why you think what you did/what's on your record doesn't matter as long as you don't work retail again?

Regardless, I wouldn't worry too much about it, if that's the only thing on your record, and additionally I really don't think anyone would be checking into your background that much, unless it's a government job or government contract, and even then they still might not care.

If keeping it on your resume is a plus then by all means keep it on there.

I would think the chances of a prospective employer calling and checking references on your retail experience very remote.. unless of course you are applying for another retail position.

Here at work many many resumes have retail or waiter/waitress type of experience and I can't think of a time their reference to that type of work was called, We do however check references that are relevant to the work they are applying for

I also think that the chances of getting a bad review are also remote..

You can bet that the reason for your firing is part of your record there all written in hardcopy but I seriously doubt any manager that still exists would go dig all that up.

I keeping it on your resume doesn't really add anything then keep it off..

JMO...

Edited by Art_Critic