Friends with Clients post recovery?

I'm a residential counselor who provides psychological and emotional support for young women with eating disorders. I wonder why there is the rule that once the patient leaves the program, counselors cannot maintain relationships with them. I understand the obvious, especially if the counselor attracts the ex patient to bad behaviors such as drugs, alcohol and whatnot, but what if the counselor merely wanted to provide ongoing support and be like a big brother/ big sister? Why is this not okay?

How curious that you need to ask....

Anyway - from the British Psychological Society ethical guidelines:

Psychologists should:

(i) Remain aware of the problems that may result from dual or

multiple relationships, for example, supervising trainees to

whom they are married, teaching students with whom they

already have a familial relationship, or providing

psychological therapy to a friend.

(ii) Avoid forming relationships that may impair professional

objectivity or otherwise lead to exploitation of or conflicts

of interest with a client.

Source: http://www.bps.org.uk/document-download-area/document-download$.cfm?file_uuid=E6917759-9799-434A-F313-9C35698E1864&ext=pdf

• Author

Yes, but I am not a psychologist! I'm not even a therapist. I am a residential counselor and I do not DO therapy with my clients. That's why i'm so curious!

How curious that you need to ask....

Anyway - from the British Psychological Society ethical guidelines:

Source: http://www.bps.org.uk/document-download-area/document-download$.cfm?file_uuid=E6917759-9799-434A-F313-9C35698E1864&ext=pdf

But would it not be reasonable to apply the same boundaries otherwise lines are easily crossed - when are you acting as counsellor and when as friend?

Dual relationships arise when the practitioner has two or more kinds of relationship concurrently with a

client, for example client and trainee, acquaintance and client, colleague and supervisee.

The existence of a dual relationship with a client is seldom neutral and can have a powerful beneficial

or detrimental impact that may not always be easily foreseeable. For these reasons practitioners are

required to consider the implications of entering into dual relationships with clients, to avoid entering

into relationships that are likely to be detrimental to clients, and to be readily accountable to clients and

colleagues for any dual relationships that occur.

From the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy - again their ethical guidelines suggest problems if the therapeutic relationship becomes more than that.

http://www.bacp.co.uk/admin/structure/files/pdf/566_ethical%20framework%20feb2010.pdf

I have to say Dayna, I agree with Anne.

Once you establish a relationship with someone who has been on the receiving end of any assistance you might have given, a dependency is subtly established.

And it goes both ways.

The "Client" (whatever....) wants to feel adequately important in the supporter's eyes to warrant further interest and contact.

The supporter subconsciously feels validated by being needed and providing something the 'client' needs.....

Tell me.... have you crossed this line recently, or is it something that is appearing tempting for you?

Yes, but I am not a psychologist! I'm not even a therapist. I am a residential counselor and I do not DO therapy with my clients. That's why i'm so curious!

you are technically doing therapy(support) if you are in any way influencing them with the recovery of their eating disorder...whether licensed or not it was indicated and I quote

" I'm a residential counselor who provides psychological and emotional support for young women with eating disorders."End Quote....So with that- a previous poster was merely pointing you towards the guidelines when such a relationship is formed.

I would suggest you resign though as the lack of remaining calm and dealing rationally when different responses are made could be construed as counter-productive to the receiver. Then consider being social with them outside the realm that had been established....

Look, I was also a residential counsellor- a Child and Youth Worker actually. I counselled young females that had experienced sexual abuse, physical abuse, abandonment... you name it.

It was a residential setting, some of these girls lived in the home for a couple of years or more. I developed a few close relationships with some of those girls, and once they left the home- I continued a relationship with a handful of them.

This wasn't something that was frowned upon by anyone. Being a residential counsellor is much different than being a therapist!

I still have contact with a couple of the girls 15 years since leaving that job! We meet for coffee once and a while- I've met their kids, been a mentor here and there- helped them out with something they needed over the years.

I never made a habit of it, and you shouldn't either! There will be some special clients that you'll form a bond with. That's human nature, and part of working in a residential setting. You spend 40 hours a week with some of these kids for a couple years- you will form a bond and so will they.

In our program, we continued an outreach program to former clients- and keeping in touch with some of them on our own time wasn't frowned upon by our board.

While in the residential setting- you must always remain professional.

What is your ethical mandate with regard to this?

If it's something your higher ups say you cannot partake in, don't do it!