How do you handle work criticisms?

i'mfaraway

How do you handle criticism at work?

I have to say I take criticism or comments about my work mistakes personally. Most part of it is because I'm angry with myself for not being perfect.

Some friends say they are able to separate work and themselves, that their work doesn't represent them. I, however, see work as me and any comment about my work is comment about me.

I hate making mistakes at work but I want to learn to handle criticism or comments better. What's your way?

kittykat84

I usually get angry at myself too. But the biggest thing is taking responsibility and owning up the fact you f****d up and not trying to shift blame.

I get over it in the end. I don't go home and stew about it. Learn from it and try and not make the same mistake again

You sound just like me! I recently made a mistake, and although it was small and had no impact on anything really, I took it so much to heart and felt terrible, and I still do when I think about it. Nobody criticised me me for it, I guess because it wasn't major, but also maybe because I owned up to it as soon as I realised. All you can really do from these things is make sure they never happen again - be way more careful and make sure it never happens again. My mistake happened because I was careless in checking over my code (I'm a programmer) - now I check it over again and again until I am absolutely sure. If you do get criticised and it's justified, I think the best thing to do is acknowledge it, apologise for it and make sure it never happens again.

Blackfrost

I wish I had an answer for this, I've written a couple of replies, but deleted both of them, because there really isn't any special techniques that will suddenly solve the stress that comes from criticism. Some people are more emotionally involved with the way the live life, and others just aren't.

Usually for myself, if I have professional respect for the individual providing the criticism - I will take it as a positive way to improve. I am always open to new and interesting ways to improve , grow, and exceed.

If I don't have any professional respect for the person who is criticizing me, I simply dismiss it as white noise. If, on the chance the person who is doing this is my boss - then I need to question why I'm working there in the first place.

If the situation is bad, I tend to remind myself that I've voluntarily entered into it -and- I can also voluntarily terminate it for something else :)

• Author
i'mfaraway

I definitely don't try to deny or get defensive. It's more of a struggle within me. I get angry with myself for quite a while and worry how the bosses will remember the mistakes, big or small. I just give myself a lot of grief for it.

I know I just have to be more careful and not make the mistakes again but it's hard to get past myself. :o

I have learned a really valuable lesson about criticism and corporate acceptance- pick your battles.

In my most recent job I've been yelled at for doing/not doing things I've never been briefed on. Instead of playing the victim, I simply say- "I hear you, it won't happen again". I can't tell you how well that goes over.

Sometimes I get yelled at for ridiculous things, sometimes I get yelled at for valid things. I accept the valid stuff as areas that need work and disregard the other stuff as venting.

I have disdain for the managers that argue with me when I point something out- why? Because I don't make frivolous criticisms, and when I do, I want them to be heard for the greater good of the team. I'm a manager for a reason, just like my manager is a bigger manager than me for a reason. Pissing off your boss by arguing is not always the best course of action.

Even if you take it personally, never let your boss know. Listen, criticism can be beneficial to your career. How you handle it will also be beneficial to your career.

Accept criticism like a diplomat.

Do employers yell a lot in America?

I've never had that happen in this country. I doubt anyone would tolerate it.

jean-luc sisko

If the criticism is valid, then seek to improve it.

It depends though whether the criticism is constructive. All workplace criticism should be. Putting people down in the workplace, in any context, only seek to make enemies.

I do think though that resilience is key to career success, even life success. Bosses would respect persons who are resilient, and thus can learn from their mistakes and overcome challenges/difficulties.

threebyfate
In my most recent job I've been yelled at for doing/not doing things I've never been briefed on. Instead of playing the victim, I simply say- "I hear you, it won't happen again". I can't tell you how well that goes over.
I would have said, "I didn't know but now I that do, it won't happen again".

Its inevitable that mistakes will happen and will re-occur. Its how they are presented to the personnel that makes the world of difference. One of my boss's doesn't use the terminology- criticism. Its a negative connotative remark. Instead she presents it as an Opportunity to change course. What a difference that makes in the way a situation is handled.!

Yes in America we have our share of Boss's who shout and throw tantrums. Luckily some corporate execs also have the ability to remove themselves and regroup before confronting a matter for resolution.

To the poster, remove your "self" from the main target of negativity. And learn its about the "process" that is being brought to light. Your value as a person is not linked to mistakes but is linked to how you handle those snaffus that surface. A good sport would have integrity and regard for what is being stated and either A: Agree that its worthy of improvement or B: Stand ground and realize that even Boss's may not have the full scope of the matter and your feedback may change the course of things.

DLish is correct in some ways. Pick your battles.

HokeyReligions

I left my last employer because I was told not to make mistakes. What?!

My husband worked for a man who claimed to never have made a mistake in his life. WTF!?

Consider the source when being criticized. Some people build themselves up by putting others down. Be assured that competent management recognizes that. Incompetent management won't last long.

If you don't make mistakes - how do you learn? I made a doozy of a mistake when I started my current job last year. Not only did I learn from it, but I went on to find solutions and created a procedure and ended up teaching others how not to do what I did and received an "above and beyond" award for my efforts. Now, if I hadn't screwed up I wouldn't have had that opportunity.

Just remember, they don't put erasers on pencils just for you. Everyone earns criticism. It's up to you to make yours productive.

Disillusioned

I make myself indispensable by volunteering to do the crummy jobs no one else wants. That way, if I screw one up, all I need to tell the boss is, "well, what did you expect?" :cool:

MinstrelsKiss

If the criticism does change my work habits for the better then I try to make a change. Doesn't matter to me where the criticism is coming from. Even if it is bad criticism, I try to turn it all into positives.

If our members are unhappy I'm willing to listen, and do what's fair to everyone, but we run such a laid back shop that I haven't heard a complaint in some time (except the eternal desire for better hours & more money). We're a family, and we try to have fun and get the job done. That's the secret, I think. Run your business like a family. Sure there will always be problems, but nothing too serious.

• 2 weeks later...

Take what you can use to improve yourself, and leave the rest. It's a tough lesson, but once you learn it it really helps... especially if you are prone to self-criticism.