Rather liberating experience, is my thinking tainted?

So, I don't know how many of you reading this board know what it's like to be unemployed for 18 months. Let me tell you that the subsequent prolonged job search becomes very taxing. Over 95% of resumes are met with absolutely no response (or responses 3 months later saying it's filled).

Needless to say, my tolerance for employer requests has lowered in that time until yesterday when I got this response from a resume I submitted:

Thank you for your interest in employment with XXXXXX Children's Services. Anyone applying for employment must complete the attached documents in order to be considered. Please print, complete and mail or fax the application, values questions and police check authorization to XXXXXXXX

These were 3 documents, with one consisting of 12 open-ended interview type questions. So I responded as such, and keep in mind that the statement about my wife was true and happened 5 months ago with this same company:

While I appreciate your effort to get all of my information early, I would not and will not spend any hours of my valuable day filling out questions that quite frankly, look like questions that should be addressed in an interview and that will likely be met with absolutely no response; as was the case with my wife when she spent hours completing your forms only to be ignored. Being unemployed does not equate to having nothing better to do with my time than jumping inconsequential hoops.

Have I become completely too bitter? Is it wrong for me to expect that no one should ask anything of me unless they are willing to call me in for an interview face-to-face? Have employers just really started acting that entitled given the job market?

I'm guessing this was a city program, so I am not surprised. These are the people who are draining our tax dollars to pay their fat pensions when they retire at 55.

Art_Critic

Have I become completely too bitter? Is it wrong for me to expect that no one should ask anything of me unless they are willing to call me in for an interview face-to-face? Have employers just really started acting that entitled given the job market?

I'm guessing your response wasn't geared toward wanting to get the job but more toward taking your frustrations out on someone you could.

I don't think you are bitter.. just frustrated..

Employers are also just as frustrated..

It isn't easy to find a good person to fill a position when you have 400 people apply for one position.

Then when they then contact 50 of those and then most don't reply back and the ones that do don't show up for the interview so they have to start with the next 50.. and so on and so on..

It took me almost 2 months just to get the the point of interviews on the last position I tried to fill.

It isn't easy for either the unemployed or the employers..

Chin up.. things will look up..

As a person who sits in on interviews and reviews resumes I can tell you that your commentary would have been just the ticket for an appointment. Why though? Because you show that your time is valuable and you prefer it be met in a respectable manner in front of a person and not sitting at a desk spewing literary jargons to appease an entity you have yet to meet. I applaud your forthright standpoint.

Yes a good employer has the right to monitor in this market . A Good employer would see that you are not going to settle for less either :)

I can relate to you OP ( more than you know UC wise )

I think employers have a HUGE pool to choose from now. They can dicker you around for weeks or months with multiple interviews and you jumping through hoops trying to find a job to feed your family.

You have heard of a * Buyers Market * when it comes to houses . Now its an * Employers Market * when it comes to workers from very little experience and qualifications to highly educated applicants with vast amount of experience. The employer is swimming with delight that he has so much to choose from ...

Not ONLY do you have to get the job but now you have to keep the job from hundreds of vultures waiting behind you to take your job. And your Employer will let you know this ! " The old proverbial : "If you don't like it Quit " Is likely used to the extreme now.

What the employer ( company recruiter / HR ) doesn't know is that his job is replacable too ! Hopefully someday he can feel what its like to send out 500 Resumes and hear nothing back. Have society judge him/her for lack of a job.

All things come to full circle. Just wait and see...