When to ask about Salary ?

During the interview she asked me how much money was I looking for. I told her the figure.

If I get a formal offer how do I phrase it regarding what salary I would make ?

TaraMaiden

I'm not sure I understand the question.

If you get a formal offer, it will be to a figure of their choosing, either on, or above your asking figure.

There won't be a situation for you to then phrase what you want. That's why you get asked during the interview. That's when they want to know, and that's when you get to tell them....

Lucky for you we have some labor lawyers and HR people here so you'll get the best possible advice. I'm neither, but will offer my perspective based on 25 years in the business world.

Me, I'm straight-up. I negotiate business deals every day. Customers chiseling me. I just negotiated a rental deal yesterday. Tenants are happy. Everything is in *writing*.

If I were looking for a 'job' (never will), I'd be the same way. I know the value (to myself) of my skill set and just put it out there, straight up. 'In order to do this job, I'll require xxx and xxx'. Most have considered it a bargain, if feedback is accurate, which tells me that others ask for more while giving less value.

Set your own value and stick with it. To me, it's about finding a good 'fit', and that goes far, far beyond a salary number. Hope it works out :)

• Author

What I meant was : They say : " Okay we are offering you a position , and your Salary will be xxxxx a year "

OR ( If they don't mention your salary ) - how do you say : " And what is this position's salary " ?

That's what I meant about bringing up the subject of money ....and how you bring it up...if they don't mention it...

I have been out of the market for awhile ...lol...

TaraMaiden

You ask that during the interview, not at the job offer. Hopefully, thsat's all been cleared up by then. They offer you the job, because you fit the profile. Including the salary question.

How much you are going to get paid, is a question that should be brought up, discussed and settled during your interview.

I actually left one interview because they were recruiting for Managers, in overall charge of 4 different operative stations, and with a staff of 15 under them.

The salary was £11,000 P/A. I got up and basically told them that we were wasting each others' time. With my age, credentials and experience, I was worth more than that, and if they were looking for a 'fresh out of school' kid with a basically empty CV, to mould to their requirements, I wasn't her.

Salary I would say is a major criterion when deciding whether to accept a job, if it's offered. Not AS it's offered.

• Author

Thanks Tara :)

My interviewing skills are rusty as I have worked my whole life until the LO.

The interview went like this : "So how much were you looking to make a year ," ?

I said __xxxxx_____ " ( which was in the range of the job and what I made previously and what I felt I deserved )

She said Okay.

That was it. It was not a long discussion,. I kind of wondered what * okay * meant. Was it just right ? Too much ? lol...

I have always heard don't mention money/salary during an interview unless they bring it up first , right ?

The pay you mentioned earlier , £11,000 P/A... what is that in USD ?

During the interview she asked me how much money was I looking for. I told her the figure.

If I get a formal offer how do I phrase it regarding what salary I would make ?

---------------------

If they tell you that you have the job, and you say thank you, etc. If they do not disclose the salary to you .. And then they ask if you have any questions - and you say: What is the salary?

You ask that during the interview, not at the job offer. Hopefully, thsat's all been cleared up by then. .

I actually disagree with this. If the salary is not mentioned in the interview, don't ask. It shows the wrong priorities to me. If they offer the job, they should propose a salary and you are then free to negotiate before you accept the post.

As it is, you should really have a fairly good idea of the potential salary range before you apply!

I actually disagree with this. If the salary is not mentioned in the interview, don't ask. It shows the wrong priorities to me. If they offer the job, they should propose a salary and you are then free to negotiate before you accept the post.

As it is, you should really have a fairly good idea of the potential salary range before you apply!

---------------------

I agree Anne .. It is also the age we are living in .. Over here with the job situation - If you are lucky enough to be offered a job, you are lucky enough.. The employer rules right now.. But then after an offer - you always have the freedom to negotiate or to not accept.

• Author

I also heard this too about mentioning salary at an interview unless the interviewer directly asks you first. Otherwise its as if you are more concerned with the money. ( of course we are all concerned about how much we will be earning but it's * when * its brought into the matter that counts. ( and by them ).

Yes , I researched the salary and knew the range. My range matched their range.

• Author
---------------------

If they tell you that you have the job, and you say thank you, etc. If they do not disclose the salary to you .. And then they ask if you have any questions - and you say: What is the salary?

I love this answer ! :)

Blackfrost

In my company (after resume C/V review) the recruiters screen up front for salary during an initial phone call. That information is sent to me, along with the responses to a number of questions I want the candidate to answer. Based on the feedback, and what I generally am willing to pay - we either pass or keep going forward with the process.

This elimates people feeling like their time has been wasted, as well as my own. I am adamant about people knowing that they are either going forward or cut loose within the first 48 hours of speaking with one of my recruiters. This can be tough when loads of people apply - but I consider it an important part of my job - not to waste people time.

Now granted, if I'm already very interested in the candidate - based on recommendations from people I respect - and how they do in the interviews, I am more then willing to continue through the process - unless there are major red flags - and possibly work out a deal that is more favorable than they were initially hoping for.

This is just my way of doing things, based on my experiences with companies that drag on for weeks, and have left me soured, even if they did make an offer six weeks later. I find that the process and timeliness of a company (up front) can be very telling of whether or not I would want to work there in the first place.

I do a lot of hiring and it is really required to understand the person compensation requirements up front, otherwise you are just wasting each others time. Note, I don't say salary I say compensation as you really have to evaluate the entire benefits package. I agree if you are interviewing don't ask in the first interview and if you want you can wait for the offer. In my company we have a whole department that just figures out fair compensation based on skill level, location, education and experience. We will make a fair offer, we will listen to counter offers but you would need strong rational to get the offer bumped up.

My cousin is a headhunter, and he always told me to position it as such, that you are "equally concerned" with the position being an equally good match (i.e. from both the employee side and the employer's side).

I have also heard, that it is usually best, to avoid getting into salary discussions during the initial interview. That's why mentioning what I wrote above is good, because it shows that your not just concerned about the salary per se, but the job itself and your concern for the company as a whole (i.e. - you being a value contribution to the company).

Whatever salary is agreed upon, I would make sure you get it in writing (I was recently hired at an agreed upon salary verbally, with the intent that I would receive a higher advance then what was actually given to me. I really like my job, the environment and my co-workers plus the benefits are really good - so it evens out...for now ;)).

When I'm looking for a job I don't apply unless the salary meets my expectations... if the salary wasn't listed I bring it up in the interview.

One time I took a job before the salary was established... They were like we are going to try to get you the salary you asked for... well long story short I was like wtf am I thinking I bet they are not going to give me what I asked for... and then they did give me exactly what I asked for. wooo hoo!

The problem is in my field, salaries are almost never disclosed prior to job offer unless you ask. This is because the salaries suck.

MY priority is to not waste yet another afternoon interviewing for a job that I will not accept based on salary. Therefore, and say what you will, I often ask what the salary range is before agreeing to an interview. I refuse to be scraped through the coals and treated like I am being given an honor to interview with someone who is NOT willing to even come close to my value.

• Author
The problem is in my field, salaries are almost never disclosed prior to job offer unless you ask. This is because the salaries suck.

MY priority is to not waste yet another afternoon interviewing for a job that I will not accept based on salary. Therefore, and say what you will, I often ask what the salary range is before agreeing to an interview. I refuse to be scraped through the coals and treated like I am being given an honor to interview with someone who is NOT willing to even come close to my value.

What do you guys here feel about jobs that don't post the salary range ? ( Seems ALOT of jobs do not ) Unless you join Glassdoor.com , which I have that tells me the range for many companies.

Why do you guys think they don't post it ?

Is it because its low or because they like to keep it a mystery aka: confidental ?

txsilkysmoothe

I hire employees as well. Salary is discussed in interviews but when I offer a person a job, I reiterate the salary so as to make certain there isn't any confusion. Should I forget, I fully expect the person to ask.

Try:

"I know we discussed salary during the interview, but can you confirm the starting pay, please."

"I provided you my salary requirement. Was it in line with the positions starting pay?"

That's what I meant about bringing up the subject of money ....and how you bring it up...if they don't mention it...

they always mention the monetary offer

• Author
I hire employees as well. Salary is discussed in interviews but when I offer a person a job, I reiterate the salary so as to make certain there isn't any confusion. Should I forget, I fully expect the person to ask.

Try:

"I know we discussed salary during the interview, but can you confirm the starting pay, please."

"I provided you my salary requirement. Was it in line with the positions starting pay?"

I like both of these especially number # 1...