Abrasive coworker

Lauriebell82

I've been at my new job for about 5 weeks now. I love it!!! It's great to be back in my field again.

Anyway, there is this other therapist who works in my unit. She is a nice woman, however she is VERY outgoing and sometimes loud. I guess you could say she is eccentric.

She is apparently very rude and mean to client's and their families and I have to hear them complain to me because she works daylight hours and I work evening. I never know what to say. I'm hesistant to speak with my supervisor about this (who is also her's) because I don't want to give off the impression that I am a tattletail or that I don't get along with coworkers. But it's going to keep happening if I don't do something about it. Any advice?

donnamaybe

I'm so happy you like your new job!

If I were you I wouldn't take anything to a supervisor as it would be a "he said-she said" situation. The info has to come directly from the complainant.

The next time a client complains, tell them that, while you sympathize, the correct method for making a complaint would be to contact the supervisor at (insert phone number here) and discuss it with them.

laRubiaBonita

if it bothers the clients THEY should seek out the woman's supervisor.

i hear complants from citizens about coworkers at times, and i direct them to the supervisor- it is not my business nor my place to get involved when i am not a witness to the actions in question.

plus being the newbie there- it is better if you stay out of it, there may be other circumstances that you are not privy to.

For sure this is the way to go.

You have a choice though - you can soften this a little - kind of going the extra mile for your co-worker with:

"I am sorry you are upset, if you feel strongly about this I can give you the supervisors number" And then let them ASK you for the supervisors number. Subtle difference - but it puts a small extra step in front of the customer. I would do this for a co-worker unless they treated me badly.

I'm so happy you like your new job!

If I were you I wouldn't take anything to a supervisor as it would be a "he said-she said" situation. The info has to come directly from the complainant.

The next time a client complains, tell them that, while you sympathize, the correct method for making a complaint would be to contact the supervisor at (insert phone number here) and discuss it with them.

donnamaybe
For sure this is the way to go.

You have a choice though - you can soften this a little - kind of going the extra mile for your co-worker with:

"I am sorry you are upset, if you feel strongly about this I can give you the supervisors number" And then let them ASK you for the supervisors number. Subtle difference - but it puts a small extra step in front of the customer. I would do this for a co-worker unless they treated me badly.

Good point mem! :bunny:

Twenty-ten

She is apparently very rude and mean to client's and their families and I have to hear them complain to me because she works daylight hours and I work evening. I never know what to say.

How do you know this, did you hear it from a client or from other coworkers? The last thing you want to do coming into a new work environment is to start to rock the boat with complaints of coworkers, it is a the kiss of death in business and you haven't a clue what your superiors think of this woman they could very well know what she is about and want her there for their own agenda and the only one losing out in the end will be you.

Go in and do your job and keep your head down for now, take it all in. It's not your place unless the conflict affects you directly. Not at 5 weeks it is WAY too risky. Learn more about your peers first and make a solid place for yourself, pay your dues and in time you will earn trust and have a voice and will know who you can turn to.

woops edit: I just read this

She is apparently very rude and mean to client's and their families and I have to hear them complain to me because she works daylight hours and I work evening. I never know what to say

yes Donna's advice was spot on. Tell them to talk to your superiors, never badmouth another coworker to clients, tell them you understand their concerns and that the best avenue is to let your superiors know directly since you are not in a position to make these kinds of assessments about other staff.

Edited by Twenty-ten